Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just purchased my Lowrance x67c Ice machine, so thanks to everyone who replied on my previous post, you were all very helpfull! Now its time for a new auger.. I have owned "SEVERAL" strikemaster MORA augers and each one ends up giving me the same problem! Even with new blades the auger just doesnt seem to wanna grab. It doesnt matter if I apply little pressure or a lot of pressure while drilling, its as if it just spins on the ice! And yes thats with NEW blades.. Now I'm not sure If the ends have become bent therefore not having the correct angle i just dunno. but I do know Its time for a change! I am either going to attempt to purchase a Strikemaster Lazer hand auger, Strikemaster Mag 2000 power auger or a Jiffy Stealth STX.. I have never used any of these augers before so I am looking for advice or reccomendations!! These are just a few of the models I am interested in.. I know what a few other people are using these days as I am aware of the auger poll post, but I dont see where anyone gives their reviews on any of these 3 augers So I'm simply open for advice!! thanks a lot and tight lines..
JON

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
If your going to get a hand auger, go with the Lazer. Its more money up front than a Mora or others but worth every penny!

BTW - your Mora's sounds like the blade head/base has gotten "tweeked". I have seen happen when people "tap" the blade end/head of the auger on the ice after drilling a hole to get the ice/slush or snow off. That move is not recommended and is something you never, ever wanna do! ;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
i own a laser and they are great but i am also going to purchase a jiffy stx this season for when the ice gets thick

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
if i had to buy a new one,i think i'd get the
LAZER too.
i think the blade angle is wrong on the mora, so if you don't have the means to change it, your screwed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
started out with 8" blue mora went to 6" blue and 6yrs later lazer 6". lazer cuts faster and will cut connected holes if needed. still have all 3 hand augers and daughter got me a magIII plus power auger last year{dads gettin OLD:rolleyes:} i use the lazer till we get over 8" of ice power after. haven't moved the blue moras in years. anybody need one? Don

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think I've used all of them over the last few years to try and decide what I wanted to get.

If you're going to get a hand auger, then the Lazer is the way to. They're more expensive, but worth every penny.

If you go with a power auger, I think the Jiffy STX, or Pro, is the way to go. I have friends who the Jiffy and the Lazer and the Jiffy drills circles around them. I know when I bite the bullet and get a power auger it will be an STX.

Whatever you get, take care of the blades! Something about Boy Scouts trying them out in the dirt that dulls blades really quick :bash:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I started out with a blue Mora I thought it was great. Then I got a Lazer man what a difference! Then about 6-7 years ago I got a Nils Master, it made the lazer like trying to poke a hole in the ice with a blunt 2x4. I let my buddy try it, and his only question was "where can I get one". I use a batt. drill on it now and I get about 15 hole per batt. Cabelas used to sell them, but I don't know if they still do I know you can get them at www877icefish.com

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
If your going to get a hand auger, go with the Lazer. Its more money up front than a Mora or others but worth every penny!

BTW - your Mora's sounds like the blade head/base has gotten "tweeked". I have seen happen when people "tap" the blade end/head of the auger on the ice after drilling a hole to get the ice/slush or snow off. That move is not recommended and is something you never, ever wanna do! ;)
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've seen a lot of augers ruined by guys pounding the business end on the ice to remove the slush sticking to the auger.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I dont know what the deal is with the Mora's I personally myself have never banged/tapped the end on the ice to remove slush or snow but the same point I have loaned my current one out on several occasions!! So I will definately notice a difference between the moras' vs. the lazer?? If the Lazer is that good should I even bother with a power auger?? Its only about another 220 more? Hand drilling doesnt bother me so much, as i just get sick of buying a new auger every 2-3 yrs.... would like something that will last a lil bit longer...... and from all thats being said, "I'm done loaning out my stuff"...... just in case your reading this "DAD"

·
Banned
799 Posts
I've had the Strikemaster Mag2000 for several years. It's done a great job for me each year, with no problems at all. The only thing I would change is to have a 2 blade auger, they seem to dig much faster, but a single does just fine for the ice we get around here. If I was fishing up north, I would definatly have a two blade auger.

I'm a :gaga: when it comes to hand cranking those holes, not for me, not for me at all.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Like the rest Lazer good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
One vote for the Jiffy ,I just finally retired the 20+ year old model 30 and bought a new Stealth STX 3hp with a 9" cutting blade ,It is freakin AWESOME !!! reedssports has a super price on them right now !!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Check out this product. In my opinion, this new product will be the ticket in years to come. An electric, cordless auger that powers through the ice. No gas, fumes, excessive noise etc. www.icegator.com Strikemaster also makes an electric model but it doesn't have the same torque/amperage as the ice gator with heavy duty battery.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had heard so much about the Lazer that I bought a 6" a couple years back. Did not work for me. I worked my b*tt off getting through 5" of ice. Maybe the auger was tweaked out of the box. :confused: It just would not cut from day 1. So I got a Nils and it is totally unbelievable. It truly cuts with near zero effort. Grabs the ice and is through it in seconds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts