Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help on power auger choice. Use will be Sag Bay. Looking at Jiffy or Strike master. Looking for best deal for the money, don't need top of the line stuff. Will 8" be sufficent compared to 10"? Is 2 hp enough. Thanks for you opinions in advance,

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Keep in mind this is something you should only have to buy once...so go w/ the 3 HP-you won't regret it. I fish w/ a buddy on Higgins that has a 2 HP and it is a dog compared to my 3 HP.

I love my Jiffy, but Strikemaster makes a good auger as well...Ford V Chevy, Ski-Doo V Polaris, etc.

The new 4 stroke by Strikemaster would be my personal choice if I was buying a new one, the weight of it compared to others is very appealing.

Lastly, while a 10" hole may seem nice...they take longer to cut, take more time to clean out, and are just the right size to allow a boot to go through if you have small feet like me ;)

My .02-take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I have a 8" strike master w/2 hp. With good blades, it's plenty fast cutting. Most times, I'll cut 6 or more holes in an area and the lighter weight of the 2hp makes it easier to lug around. My buddy has a 10" 3hp Jiffy - seems a lot heavier and does not cut any faster.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have to agree somewhat with the hole size, I bought the strikemaster with the 10" hole, figuring bigger is better. While it has it's advantages, it's also a pain. Time drilling and cleaning holes takes longer. And yes, it's easier to step into these holes. And dropped smaller objects always seem to find the hole easier to fall thru. Not a lot of walking space in my Clam voyager when there's 6 holes drilled inside, either.
What I do like about the 10" hole is, you can see more of the lake bottom with the bigger holes. I drill 3 holes for myself, one at 10:00, one at 2:00 and one at the 6:00 positions. The 6:00 hole is right between my feet, and while sitting you can see your lure presentation plus any fish in the area. Of course that depends on water clarity and depth.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 3hp 8" and it is a bear to lug around. I would opt for the 2hp if I ever do it again. I have cut right beside the 2hp's and really don't notice a perceptible differance in speed of cut. IMHO

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Stikemaster 2 hp and have gone thru anything you can throw at it, including 30 inches in the UP...I pd about 225.00 for mine two years ago at Bass Pro

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have used both Jiffy & Strikemaster. My Jif was tough as they come, very dependable, very heavy, and not a real fast cutter by any means. I bought a 3-blade Strike last season (2hp) and it is a real pleasure to use. I also use mine exclusively on Saginaw, and it was perfect last winter. Light to carry, very smooth cutting, and also dependable. Keep in mind that a very sharp and smooth cutting auger does not need big hp to get the job done. The Strike is so sharp that I sometimes have to hold it back a bit. My Jif was a 10", the Strike is a 9". Last year I iced 5 walleyes over 10 pounds and the 9" was plenty. Can't see any advantage to a 3hp unit until you go 10" and ice gets near 2 feet thick.

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have used both Jiffy & Strikemaster. My Jif was tough as they come, very dependable, very heavy, and not a real fast cutter by any means. I bought a 3-blade Strike last season (2hp) and it is a real pleasure to use. I also use mine exclusively on Saginaw, and it was perfect last winter. Light to carry, very smooth cutting, and also dependable. Keep in mind that a very sharp and smooth cutting auger does not need big hp to get the job done. The Strike is so sharp that I sometimes have to hold it back a bit. My Jif was a 10", the Strike is a 9". Last year I iced 5 walleyes over 10 pounds and the 9" was plenty. Can't see any advantage to a 3hp unit until you go 10" and ice gets near 2 feet thick.

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
136 Posts

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
136 Posts

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Both Jiffy and Strikemaster make great augers and you pretty much get what you pay for up and down both product lines. The biggest thing to decide is whether you want an 8", 9", or 10." The bigger the auger size and the bigger the motor, the more the weight. That's a tradeoff only you can decide.

Jiffy makes a lightning that has a 9" and a 2hp motor that is a nice compromise between weight and hole size. I almost got that one last year, but went all the way and got the Jiffy 10" Stealth. The only downside I've seen to the ten inch was that my round (10") frabil tip-up didn't fit well and needed mods. I usually target larger walleye on larger bodies of water (like Saginaw Bay) and run an ATV, so weight wasn't really a concern and I'm glad I got the ten. Now, if I was on foot and draggin' that auger and gear all day running and gunning, a lighter auger would be more to my liking.

Good luck...they all sure beat crankin' by hand once the ice is thick.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
That's what I use, the lightning with a 9" hole. Very nice, fast, can cut deep ice with little issue. Still using the same blades after 2 full seasons of use.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Just sold a jiffy I had for 20 yrs.....never a problem....bought 2 more stealths...one I leave down here in Roseville (2hp-8" jiffy stealth) the other (3hp-10" stealth)....LOVE them both....Up north I only travel by 4-wheeler or snowmobile ..same as JJmac...so no weight concern.....I realy do not worry if it is going to take me 23 seconds or 33 seconds to go thru the 2-3 ft. of Ice I usually need to go thru....My only concern is durability and longefity.....thats why I went back to Jiffy!..... I know many people have and love there Strikemaster...I can not say a bad word about them???have never owned one?? so All I can tell you is my experiance with jiffy!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
This speed thing with lot of guys and their augers. What is the deal ? when you're talking what, 10 seconds, 20 seconds per hole ?, is that REALLY going to make a difference in your fishing experience ? If it does, you really are too busy to even be out fishing at all. This is supposed to be a FUN and ENJOYABLE past time don't you think ? Not a race to see who can drill holes fatser than another person. I just don't see it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whale, I agree with you completely. The speed thing is a result of advertising. Always give me dependability and ease-of-use in ice fishing gear.

Here's an auger tip: Take your new auger and suspend it (by the handles) from a beam or tree limb. Fill the tank up and set the throttle 1/2 to 2/3 open and let it run out of gas. Repeat 2 more times with throttle 3/4 to wide open. Clean and/or replace the plug. Your auger will start and run 50% better after this break-in procedure.

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here's an auger tip: Take your new auger and suspend it (by the handles) from a beam or tree limb. Fill the tank up and set the throttle 1/2 to 2/3 open and let it run out of gas. Repeat 2 more times with throttle 3/4 to wide open. Clean and/or replace the plug. Your auger will start and run 50% better after this break-in procedure my buddy bought a jiffy last year cause we forgot my auger, we gased it up and used it that day, and the rest of the year. we had alot of grief with it not starting or running bad after the first use, util i talked him iinto changing the spark plug on our last trip. after that it started and ran great. we spent alot of time in the shanty arguing about this, he just kept sayin dude it's brand new it don't need no darn plug i think i got a lemon. now he loves it so much he's always askin people if they need some holes drilled. so i think eyeskater has a very good idea here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i still dont know how to quote somebody without it lookin like i stole there line :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts