Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
wow, that comes as a shock to me. i haven't been there in a long while, but when i was going there regularly they had good business....

·
Registered
734 Posts
My coworker just called me and he was there today. Don said he's out at the end of the month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob....what a funny guy.

Thats a shame, they were the closest place around and I enjoyed shooting there during the winter. Any other shops in the area?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
jbird90 said:
Any other shops in the area?
Depends where you're at. (Good reason to fill out your profile... ;) ) MJC has a shop at 15 and Groesbeck.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
That's a darn shame. Don's one of the best in the business. We'll miss you bud!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
just to let you all know Sean and I can still do service work to all of your archery equipment. Just e-mail me or pm me and I'll be glad to put you in contact with both of us. Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Good proshops are a dying breed . I have never been to Auburn Archery ,but I hate to hear about any proshop going out of business .:( They are the most valuable asset from beginning to experienced archers and bowhunters .

·
Registered
136 Posts
victor mi pro bowhunter said:
auburn archery was one of the worst there was and i'm shocked it lasted this long

mjc is much better
Funny . . . I have the exact opposite opinion of those 2 bow shops - along with about 10 of my friends in the area! Very sad to hear that Auburn is shutting down. Where is the next closest Bowtech dealer I wonder

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I'm with Zulu. I bought a bow from MJC in 2000 and it'll be the last. They were horribly, all of them. I have about 25 friends that won't go near that shop. We all go to Van's in Whitmore Lake now. $100 bucks cheaper for a Mathews too.

Not a Bowtech dealer though Zulu. Don't know of another one close by.
Zulu said:
Funny . . . I have the exact opposite opinion of those 2 bow shops - along with about 10 of my friends in the area! Very sad to hear that Auburn is shutting down. Where is the next closest Bowtech dealer I wonder

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive been there, They were good, But I found a place I like better. Ark Surplus. Ther on Gratiot in downtown Mt.Clemens. The guy that runs the pro shop is Dave. Great guy, Great service, And he knows his @#it. No B.S. Only downfall is no shooting range. Anyone been there?

·
Registered
820 Posts
You know I had really good service when i went to mjc nice people set my dad up great.

My mom went to Auburn Archery and they gave her bad service.I went one year aswell and the service they gave me was poor it was like they didnt care about helping me.Now we may of just both went there on a off day. it seams by reading all this maybe i sould of gave them anouther shot

But then agian they did go out of business maybe they only where kind to there noemal costumers.Well any ways its to late now

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm sure the economy played a major role in Auburn's demise, but another thing that I'm sure didn't help is that Mathews would not allow them to carry their line because they were "too close" to MJC under the Mathews dealership agreement.

Now I don't want anyone to try to turn my statements into bashing Mathews - I have shot Mathews, Hoyt and now Bowtech (most recently) over the last several years (among others brands), and all 3 companies make a great bow, but of the 3 brands I personally would rank Mathews 3rd for my preference. However, a lot of people have a cult like devotion to Mathews, and that company has done a ton of advertising over the years, so carrying the Mathews line is pretty much essential for a small business to survive because of its popularity among archers. I have been in Auburn before when I would hear customers say how much they wished Auburn carried Mathews because they didn't like going to MJC - but they had no choice. I have no doubt that had something to do with their closing, among other things.

I think as archers we all need to support these smaller pro shops that provide great service even if it means travelling farther and spending a few bucks more on a product that we can get at Gander Mountain or other major chains for cheaper. It's about a 30-40 minute drive to Auburn from where I live, and MJC is much closer, but I always made that trip to support Auburn even before I was shooting Bowtech this year, and when I find my next pro shop I'll do the same.

It's depressing to lose another good shop, and not to get political, but it's a strong statement on how our focus in this country should be on a strong domestic policy to rebuild our economy rather than dumping billions on questinable causes overseas. With a strong economy comes more spending, and let's face it, this year is tight for a lot of people I know, and not many people have the extra cash to dump on a new toy - especially in the Metro-Detroit area where the auto industry drives much of the work force.

Anyway, Auburn's owner Don will still do work on your bow for you out of his house if you call him. Call Auburn and he'll give you his number.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zulu, You are partly correct. It is true that Auburn couldn't get Mathews but, if Don would have made a bit if effort and called the rep on the "to close" clause he would have found out that Jim was forced into his shop because of this rule and violated it within Convenient Sportsman's area. But because Jim is Matt's boy they overlooked this. I know this because I ran Convenient for some time and then bought it. Mathews gave Starlight a dealership and claimed it was because of population density. So if Don really wanted to get Mathews he probably could have with a little effort. But It seems that was not the case. I agree it sucks that Aubrun had to close but with the attitude and carelessness of it's owner that was inevitable.

Don may not be doing work out of his house for a while until his whole legal battle is finished with all the companies he owes monies to. But that is just a bit of the whole story.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hoytshooter69 -

Thanks for giving us a little more inside info on the demise of another great pro shop. As always, there is a bigger story behind the story, it seems. Unfortunately, regardless of the reasons the impact on archers in the area is the same. I hate to see this happen to anyone in small business, and it has been happening all too often for many businesses in the last few years, due to our wonderful economy. If Don needs help with legal issues in winding up the corporate affairs of Auburn, he can feel free to PM me and I'll give him my number - this is one of the areas of law I specialize in and I would be glad to offer some free legal advice.

Good luck Don!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Was wondering if a persom wanted to open a archery store, what kind of investment would it take ? Just curious!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are alot of variables involved in that decision. First and forwmost is location. This will be one of your biggest monthly outlays of cash. Rent or Own? Then you need to decide on what bow lines you would like to carry, indoor range, types of accessories, and so on. It could be as much as a cool mil to have a good cushion and get the correct type of building in the right location to carry the big three bow companies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts