Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reports out there for Cooke Dam Pond? I am heading up next week and wondered how the fishing has been. Last year was excellent for big largemouth, I am hoping that is the case again this year. Any information is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I haven't heard many reports this year. Having fished Cook many times...I can tell you the Bass action is almost always good.

Have a safe and fun trip!!!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I have fished it about 6 times this year. We were targeting the panfish in and around their beds. You never know what you are going to catch is what makes it a good time. Have done quite well on the pannies!:evilsmile

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I leave on Wednesday and will post a report upon my return. I am hoping this is the year for the big pike that always seems to elude me!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well we all know there are some huge pike in those waters. Do you know where you can put the boat in on I think is is Alcona, just a above 5 channel pond, they stocked Musky in it about 7 years ago, don't know anyone that has targeted them, but if you are due for a big one. just make sure you have 4 wheel drive as you just back in on a sand beach area. I got stuck there a few years ago, i was very lucky a guy drove by. I have a cabin on Pine Acre Drive, next to Loon ***** bay so I fish Cooke a bit, full of small pike for sure. For some reason 5 channel has always been my favorite

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will not have a problem at the launch that is farthest to the east. I put a 23' walkaround in there all the time. Just go slow launching as the cement ends in the water and there are big rocks for the rest of the launch.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
First off, my good buddy and his wife braved the 90 degree heat this week and fished Cooke. The fish didn't really get going until about 4-5pm. The shade along the shorelines started to develop and the fish turned on. They came home with 23 NICE sunnies and gills with 3 perch. One of the perch measured just under 11 inches.

When we fish Cooke or any of our area lakes we ALWAYS HAVE A COOLER WITH ICE FOR THE FISH! Don't let them hang over the side in 75 degree water or a livewell with the same water. The ice keeps the meat firm and the fish are just better tasting.

Now... sgc: I would launch your boat at the Pine Ramp. It is located across the street from Gordon's Bait on M-65 right at the river and the west end of Cooke. Your boat will have NO problem. It's tight driving down to the ramp, but it's a nice one for the area.

deerjohn: Cooke Pond is an area of the Au Sable River that is locked between 2 dams. It is located off of M-65 right where you cross the Au Sable and downriver to the next dam which is Foote Dam. There are (I believe) 4 areas of the Au Sable near me that are called different names. Cooke Pond, Alcona Pond, Foote Dam area, Mio Pond, 5 Channels Dam, etc.. Each is unique in the fisheries they offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts