Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I was up stream further and seen some steel sharking around some holes , with this rain and cold weather I would say Let the Games Begin Ladies and Gentlemen!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Been hitting fish steady on some of my favorite west side piers for a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
I want my money back!! This stupid map I bought says the Ausable is on the east side of the state!!:rant:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Back in the days when it was 3 hours for me to either Manistee, or Oscoda, I'd make the decision based on wind directions for fall steelhead, in the spring; I found that the Au sable ran later in the year.

If you need other tips, just ask.:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hit it today and had no luck. I was using number 2 size hooks I think that's the reason why. What size would be better?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hit it today and had no luck. I was using number 2 size hooks I think that's the reason why. What size would be better?

Depends on what you're yoozin! Lol

I use #10 gammies for spawn, some people laugh at such a small hook, but never had one straighten out on a fish.

·
Registered
754 Posts
but I did better in Oscoda when winds by the compass were from zero to 180. With my favorite being on the south pier in a heavy northeast wind.

Unlike the a number of others, I hated the board; and gave it up after a couple of efforts.

6s and 8s are normal spawn hooks in the surf,

·
Registered
648 Posts
What set up do you use surf fishing ive never surf fished steel and might give it a go i imagine main line to a three way with leader off side maybe 5 ft and then dropper of maybe a foot to a heavy sinker is that a good set up with spawn bag on hook

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hit Foote dam yesterday. Caught 2 "zombie" salmon, as I call them. I was going after steel but I don't think there quite in the river yet.:(

·
Registered
436 Posts
Got a report yesterday, and I quote, "the worst fall fishing so far" and pretty sure "switched to hunting" was in there too. We need some rain!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The NE needs rain and waves BAD. We've had so much rain/snow in the upper NW lately, I'm sick of it. Water temp is 53-54* right now in the Au Sable, that's plenty cool enough.

I'm fishing LRB's or steelhead Monday, not sure yet. I have NO eggs right now, aside from the 2 week old pump I have tied up. I messed around too much this fall I guess...oh well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The NE needs rain and waves BAD. We've had so much rain/snow in the upper NW lately, I'm sick of it. Water temp is 53-54* right now in the Au Sable, that's plenty cool enough.

I'm fishing LRB's or steelhead Monday, not sure yet. I have NO eggs right now, aside from the 2 week old pump I have tied up. I messed around too much this fall I guess...oh well.
Got a freezer full of eggs because I didn't want to waste them. I hate freezing fresh eggs. It has just been so slow that I don't want to waste a trip!

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
29,823 Posts
What set up do you use surf fishing ive never surf fished steel and might give it a go i imagine main line to a three way with leader off side maybe 5 ft and then dropper of maybe a foot to a heavy sinker is that a good set up with spawn bag on hook

Used to fish the Ausable pier in fall, and always did better with spoons than spawn. Spawn seemed to be better in spring. Most would be casting glow spoons before daylight, then switch to orange/gold, or orange/silver cleos or kos at daylight. Crappy rainy days with some wind were always good steely weather:) If I surf fished, it was either singing bridge, Tawas pier or river. Preferrably after some heavy rain to get some current moving out;) Good luck, anywhere wetting a line is better than computer fishing:D Oh yeah, almost forgot. It would be in November, and did the check each time up at the Tawas pier for whities, just in case.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
There are a few showing a little further north. Lures might work a little better than spawn. We are just getting into some good steelhead weather.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What exactly does it feel like when a steel bites on a three way rig? I usally either use slip bobbers or little cleos, so im not quite sure. Is it just a strong pull or what?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would say it feels like you hit a rock with your weight but with a tug on the line simultaneously. Most of my hooksets are second nature, I couldn't tell you what the bite felt like, only on my misses do I know what it felt like lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts