Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

I'm new to this site and am planning my first trip to the Au Sable for the 2nd week of May. I'm planning on doing some exploratory trout fishing in and around the "holy waters" section. My dad and I will be primarily wading and I was wondering if the conditions (water levels and temps) will be cooperative this time of year. We might consider a guide service for a day too since there's so much water out there. Any help and general information about the area and fishing would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Travis

·
Registered
16 Posts
2nd week of May can be fabulous fishing on the AUSable. However, it is generally(at lest dry fly fishing that time of year) relative to the weather. Decent weather, and you will have consistent daytime hatches of caddis and possibly still some Hendricksons. ALso can expect Henny spinnerfalls that time of year in the evening if the temps are warm enough.

Wet rainy days can produce excellent streamer weather as well.

It could also be 40 degrees that week, which of course means no bug activity and slow fishing....

The nice part is that its the time of year that you can consistently experince a hatch and watch fish feed regularly on the surface....all during midday, even bright sunshine...

·
Premium Member
30,106 Posts
Welcome to the site C&R.....The idea of a guide service is a good one, they know where the fish are, its their business and they want you to be happy and return. Its less costly than numerous trips(especially out of state) in the long run, then you have a better understanding of areas and techniques. I know a guy that used to have a fly shop in Selkirk on Rifle River. His name was Baechelder(not sure on spellin). He knows his stuff. He moved to Rose City with another partner I believe. Someone on here should know more than I do. I would recommend him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
C&R,

I would suggest Gates Au Sable Lodge. They can answer any questions you have. They have a great website with reports and a good hatch chart. Rusty is always willing to help.

WC1

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
There should be some good fishin then and not many canoes, which is a plus. Woodchuck1 is right go to Gates, good fly shop, nice place to stay. Rusty can tell you what's going on the Au Sable. I have always been treated well there. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts