Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to launch out of au gres this morning, it was too rough.... long drive for nothin!! Is it usally that rought with a south wind? I want to try again tomorrow, but i dont want the wasted trip!

· Registered
11,887 Posts
Is it usally that rought with a south wind? I want to try again tomorrow, but i dont want the wasted trip!

I don't fish the bay much, but my friend that does said the S wind is the worst direction....As of last night, it was forcast to be S up to 15 mph...waves 2-4

We were going to go up tommorow and mon, but deceided on Erie instead....That may not work either, but at least I'll be closer to home :D

· Registered
7,107 Posts
I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that is fishing there since this morning and he said they have only had 1-2 footers. Said its been nice all day and that they are pounding them in thirty feet of water...he has an eighteen foot boat.

· Registered
5,086 Posts
I was out from 7:30-11:00 AM. We were getting hit with 3 footers once we cleared the point. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a 18 ft boat or less.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
jrsoup, I'd hate to see what your buddy thinks 5 footers are. We were out in a 21 and had to turn around to bring a :sick: one back in. Then turned back and went out again. By that time she laid down quite a bit.First time headed out was around tenish.

· Registered
8,004 Posts
Those were 2-3 footers, really nothing more than that, yes, it ws surprisely rough out there going out, we headed in around 1pm and it was down to 1 footers and quite nice. We kept 10 fish-fish were smaller all 15-17 and one 18 incher. We stayed out in 34-38 feet just outside the traffic, steady but slightly slower in the week past. Buddy, who is considered the best fisherman out of Augre:p also did about the same, I gotta start signing up for those walleye tournaments:D

· Registered
814 Posts
salmonslammer said:
I don't fish the bay much, but my friend that does said the S wind is the worst direction....As of last night, it was forcast to be S up to 15 mph...waves 2-4

We were going to go up tommorow and mon, but deceided on Erie instead....That may not work either, but at least I'll be closer to home :D
A south wind the worst:lol: ,nope,E-NE is the worst direction on the saginaw bay.

· Registered
9,128 Posts
Yesterday morning there were solid 2-3 footers and occasionally a 4 footer. You should have went out anyhow...it layed down really nicely later in the morning....as forcasted:yikes:

This morning the wind switched and was out of the NE. We ran up in 2 footers for the most part. Throw in a bigger one now and then....And just like yesterday, it layed down around midday or a little earlier.(when it starts getting hot)...Beautiful weekend on the water....and the fish bit great.:D

Usually a south or southwest wind is a good wind for the bay depending on where your fishing. If your in the south half, of course its better, but get out there 15+ miles and it can get pretty choppy....Although a southwest wind can kick your butt out there, NOTHING compares to a nasty North East wind. When it comes from that way it picks up in a hurry and has a nasty bite. When you have a NEer, ALL of Lake Huron is rollin in on ya with nothing to stop it. Once it gets rollin it takes a big wind switch from the SW to lay it down in a timely fashion.

· Registered
6,476 Posts
It was a little bumpy on Sat, I was fishing our Stealheaders walleye tournament and we ran 17 miles from Linwood in my 18 ft Lund and i'm sure glad it layed down cause I wasnt looking foreward to the ride back.:yikes: Fished south of Pt Au Gres and caught a ton of fish, it just doesnt get any better!!

Scott

· Registered
9,128 Posts
I was gonna fish that tournament with Brad and Tim but i had kicker motor problems. We had to put in a new CDI Module and it was good to go. But only fishing on it for one day, i didnt want to enter the tournament and have it go kaput.....Needless to say the first fish of the day was 31 1/4" 9.1# beast. We had several other nice fish as well. We would have blew the winning weight out of the water...Thats about my luck.:rolleyes: :lol:....And the motors running great.:D

· Registered
6,476 Posts
adam bomb said:
I was gonna fish that tournament with Brad and Tim but i had kicker motor problems. We had to put in a new CDI Module and it was good to go. But only fishing on it for one day, i didnt want to enter the tournament and have it go kaput.....Needless to say the first fish of the day was 31 1/4" 9.1# beast. We had several other nice fish as well. We would have blew the winning weight out of the water...Thats about my luck.:rolleyes: :lol:....And the motors running great.:D
Its always the guys that dont enter the tournaments that catch all the big fish!:lol:

Scott

· Registered
9,128 Posts
fishinmachine2 said:
Its always the guys that dont enter the tournaments that catch all the big fish!:lol:

Scott
:lol: ....Thats the way it seems to go.

I fished your club tournament out of Ludington with Brad and Tim last year. We had a blast. We caught plenty of big kings, just couldnt get our trout....I think we ended up in 6th if i remember correctly. I had a blast and talked to allot of nice people at the weigh in...Good luck in the rest of the tournaments.;)

As good as walleye fishing is, its just about time to hang up the walleye gear and chase some silver fish.....I cant wait!:dizzy: :D...Cya on the west side.

· Registered
9,128 Posts
I believe it was 24 lbs for 10 fish...and i dont know where they fished...I checked their website, but no results are posted yet.

· Registered
6,476 Posts
1st and 2nd place had over 24lbs of fish.
Hey Adam the Flint Steelheaders is a great club!! It was started many years ago by my brother and a few of his buddies in my mom and dads basement!! I'll be giving the eyes a break this next weekend as we have a big tourny in Manistee, thats where we keep the big boat. If your in Manistee stop by Riverside Motel and say "HI" thats where we dock the big boat. 27ft Tiara (Fish'N Machine) Its gonna seem nice to hear a screaming drag!!...LOL!!:lol:

Scott

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.