Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to make a note on here in case someone else encounters this. While at the Au gres breakwall on Sunday, a fisherman told us he got a walleye the night before in river. He said the DNR told him that you could keep them from the boat launch on out and is considered the bay. I've talked to DNR officers who told me from the outhouses at base of pier out it was legal to keep walleye before the opener. The DNR who told the guy this was the creel sensus man taking notes on fishing being caught,doing scale samples etc. this guy was there also and I asked him, and he said the same to me, that from launch out was o.k. to keep walleye. Don't let this guy get you a ticket, he's not an officer, and just because he works for the DNR, it won't help you if they catch you in wrong area. He's giving people the wrong info, unless it changed this year.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess I should have made a phone call before posting:rolleyes: Just got off the phone with DNR and they said its been clarified that from the boat launch out you can keep the walleye. Oooops, guess I leaped before looking:( Well I guess anyone wondering, now we know.:D

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think it is from the natural shoreline not the man made one !!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok Ralph, gonna hold you to that. send me your email 'case i get a ticket...heh heh. fished Augres for first time last fall, can't wait to get back there.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The case was decided in Arenac County District Court after a subject was cited for illegal walleye by a DNR officer. The official ruling-The boat launch out because that is the natural shoreline, and the breakwall area and land in between is manmade.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well went there last night, but walked all the way to end of pier right at dark. 2 guys fished with 4 poles, 1 each on bottom with big shiners, and casting rapalas,husky's, etc. on other. was there till 11:30 p.m., didn't get a hit:sad: Did see a couple fish coming in while we were walking out though. Should have got there a little earlier I guess. Them rocks sure are dangerous, have to be a billy goat to get down to water and back up:lol: :p Too many boats constantly coming in too cast very much, next time will get there before the mad rush twards launch:chillin:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
a freind and myself were talking about this last night.....why cant the dnr just post a simple sign at every river as to where the line is lol would make life a lot easier...especially on rivers with large points to one side ..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
walleyeman2006 said:
a freind and myself were talking about this last night.....why cant the dnr just post a simple sign at every river as to where the line is lol would make life a lot easier...especially on rivers with large points to one side ..
:16suspect All laughing aside WalleyeMan this is an on going issue year after year at this location...I would think the local authorities would consider this!! The boat drops in on Sat. at the AYC. ready to fish this weekend then its crazy weekend in Freeland..Good Luck to all...and keep the dents on your boats to a minimal on the Titt.:lol:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
EyeWacka said:
:16suspect All laughing aside WalleyeMan this is an on going issue year after year at this location...I would think the local authorities would consider this!! The boat drops in on Sat. at the AYC. ready to fish this weekend then its crazy weekend in Freeland..Good Luck to all...and keep the dents on your boats to a minimal on the Titt.:lol:
casville, port austin, are two more...its a pain ive gotten different answeres from different officers ....and thats a crock of *&^%

1 - 12 of 12 Posts