Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for education on nets in front of Au Gres. How do I know where I can get through safely and how I can tell where they start and end. I have not fished this far north before and have not encountered them before.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
2,662 Posts
The 2 sets of nets I encountered just 3/4 South of Augres were well marked on each end with reflective flags, and orange reflective buoys in the middle. Night or day, you should be able to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2 sets of nets I encountered just 3/4 South of Augres were well marked on each end with reflective flags, and orange reflective buoys in the middle. Night or day, you should be able to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So is there always a flag at the ends? It was also explained to me about the anchor cable from the flags opposite the bouies.

· Registered
619 Posts
I basically gave up fishing that area because of them a few years back. Back then I saw one that was marked with a vertical tree branch. Sounds like they are better marked now.
In no way I support them but I used them to my advantage. N caught alot of funneled walleye on outside edges. Once ya look at the big picture.

· Premium Member
31,760 Posts
So is there always a flag at the ends? It was also explained to me about the anchor cable from the flags opposite the bouies.

Not sure if you looked up how they're "supposed " to be marked but it's on the DNR link the was posted above. Here's a quick pic...they don't always have a flag at each end, lots of time just another bouy.

· Registered
619 Posts
Not sure if you looked up how they're "supposed " to be marked but it's on the DNR link the was posted above. Here's a quick pic...they don't always have a flag at each end, lots of time just another bouy.
View attachment 777286
Thanks Ralph that anchor buoy behind the entrance is the most important to me. And it usually is the smallest n hardest to locate

· Registered
3,205 Posts

· Premium Member
31,760 Posts
Careful boys n girls,yes they are supposed to be mark as such in the previous posts,but that’s not always the case,there were a couple bad experiences last year on Erie out of Bolles,be careful out there,a lot of those netters don’t give a shat,it’s all about the COIN they bring in…

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Whereabouts down there? There's no netting allowed in Michigan waters.

· Registered
870 Posts
If memory serves me right ,out of Bolles to the North ,don’t believe they were commercial tho,also few years ago coming into Sterling at sunset getting ready to round the corner off of Stoney PT. ,full throttle seen something funny in the water,a couple really poor markers for a net,same thing don’t believe them to be commercial…

· Premium Member
31,760 Posts
If memory serves me right ,out of Bolles to the North ,don’t believe they were commercial tho,also few years ago coming into Sterling at sunset getting ready to round the corner off of Stoney PT. ,full throttle seen something funny in the water,a couple really poor markers for a net,same thing don’t believe them to be commercial…

What else could they be? There's no betting allowed in Michigan waters of lake Erie by anyone.

· Premium Member
16,183 Posts
What else could they be? There's no betting allowed in Michigan waters of lake Erie by anyone.
Why do you say there is no commercial netting allowed in Michigan waters on Erie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.