Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise me or from experience tell me what the law is to ride on the ice? I just picked up an atv to use to haul out my shanty and gear, but will need to bring my son with me. Can he ride on the machine, or need to sit in the sled? Helmets? Appreciate any tips..I know the DNR can be tough
:bash:

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
There are ATVs that are made for two riders - if that is what you have, then he can ride, otherwise, what Neal said....and long line the sled if anyone is on it, those quads can toss some serious snow/slush ;)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I thought there was an excemption for head gear if you were engaged in going to and from fishing. No?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Helmet required on lakes, on trails and even on your OWN property.. Thats the law. Love it or hate it thats the way it is.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
DONT FORGET YOU MUST HAVE AN ORV STICKER AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Neal Said is true to the letter of the law, No riders unless the machine was built for 2 people. Helmet for the atv rider and you can pull people in a sled or trailer and they are NOT required by law to wear a helmet

·
Premium Member
10,941 Posts
Is a helmet still required for a Kawasaki Mule or similar type that has a cage over your head and a hard top on it?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
wally-eye said:
Helmet required on lakes, on trails and even on your OWN property.. Thats the law. Love it or hate it thats the way it is.
You don't need a helmet in Branch county! Even if your riding a motorcycle down the road.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
hypox said:
You don't need a helmet in Branch county! Even if your riding a motorcycle down the road.
i'd have to think that this MIGHT be true only if you know whos court you're ending up at. what the local system decides to prosecute can differ from place to place.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Neal said:
Yes, you need to wear a helmet, and no you can't have a rider....BUT you can pull him in a sled without a helmet :rolleyes: ;)
How goofy. I would love to have heard the discussion when the bill for this law was in committee.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am not trying to start any trouble here but my girlfriend and I go out on the ice 3 or 4 times a week and always ride double, but 90% of the time we have helmets on they are just hard to wear over your cloths. This has been everywhere from LSC to little private lakes and everywhere between. Many times we have rode past the CO's and have never got stopped. I guess I would be quite angery though if we got stopped for doin 10 to 20 mph across a frozen lake but hey i guess it is the law.

Joe

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Seen the CO's write up a dude and his kid last year on Silver for riding double on a single place quad. Bad thing was they had a dog sled that the kid could have ridden in. CO didn't care wrote them up anyway. Happened right outside my shanty. Heard the CO tell him that he NEVER gives warnings, tickets only?

Its a crazy law. I know the chief of police of a near by town has a cabin down the road by where I live and his 3 kids ride up and down our private road on a quad, 3 on the quad together and NO helmets. All are probably between 8 and 12. Have contacted other agencies and NOTHING has happened and every summer weekend its the same thing.

I'll quit ranting now.....

·
Premium Member
12,856 Posts
The local co was watching the two passenger thing on hamlin thing last year. I dont beleive the law is good but its an easy bust. Sit in their truck and catch the old guys coming in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts