Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you use an ATV to ice fish?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
thats all I ever used mine for.when we have Ice on lake Erie .looks like I will be going south for the winters now won't get much use at all now.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Soon as my tractor sells I'll be getting a new 07 Griz 450. With my disabilities it will make for a whole lot more ice fishing trips.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
An ATV is a great investment. I use mine from July-Ice Out...Whether its food plots, trail riding, wood hauling, deer hunting, or ice fishing....It gets used allot...only a few months of down time.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I don't ice fish too much :hide: . When I have ice fished, I don't take it out there, guess I am a chicken.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Yes, but mine is a UTV.. A Kawasaki Mule..More room, warmer,( with a full cab) The only problem I have is I get stuck hauling everybody's stuff..LOL:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I gotta tell ya since I have aged they sure do come in handy on the ice. I now move all over the ice in search of those tasty fish

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If they had snowmachine/snowmobile on the survey I would have replied.
I guess us snowmachine guys are in a different class. Thats what I use on the ice.(7 months to go)

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have a snowmobile, and not an ATV, then there are two questions that still apply - I don't have an ATV, but would use it on the ice if I did (if you use your snowmobile on the ice, then this would be a likely answer). I don't have an ATV, but wouldn't put it on the ice if I did (if you have a snowmobile, but don't use it on the ice, then this would be a likely answer).

:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
O.K so I'm the dumb @$$. I did take the poll, and yes if I did have an atv I would take it out on safe ice. For those who did not already know, co's (dnr) take there snowmobiles on the ice. But, I've heard that they take excavators on the ice to. Ha Ha:lol:

·
Registered
640 Posts
The ice really does not have to be much thicker to hold a man than it does an ATV. It is weight per square inch that will put you through. An ATV has 4 feet instead of 2 and most tires are set at a low PSI so each of their 4 feet are twice as big as yours, helping to spread the weight out. I have been ice fishing for about 20 years and have got wet 2 times during that period, both while on foot and never on a quad. I am not sure I would buy one striclty for ice fishing because of the recent short seasons we have been having and the cost involved, But once you have one you may be surprised at the many uses you will find for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't own one but my brother does and he works afternoons when I get time to fish!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts