Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use any of these "attractants" while fishing on the hard water?? I see these attractants on the shelves in the stores and they've yet to get the better of me. How many guys use these juices and what brands do you use? If you don't mind sharing:rolleyes: I sat next to a couple of guys at Metro Beach last year and these guys flat out SLAYED the perch,, when NO ONE else was catching anything,,, I was picking up a few, here and there but nothing compared to these guys. I finally asked what they were using,,, when the guy reeled up his jig, I realized that I had the EXACT same jig,, then he pointed to this little glass jar on the floor of the shanty filled with some sort of "juice", he dipped the minnow in it and lowered it down,, and WHAM!!! He said it was a store bought brand attractant, but wouldn't say exactly what it was. So, whos got some success stories about "attractants"??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just started dipping my jigging raps when fishing for walleye and I've been happy with the results so far. I've just been using some 7 year old shad scent that you use for soft plastics for bass.
The jigs you dip or spray will stink up the plano box a little though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When the action got really slow on the Saginaw River one time, I saw a guy use something I would have never thought of....... and it WORKED! WD-40!! He slayed them while everyone around him got skunked......Patch

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping you didn't say that, Patch:rolleyes: That WD-40 seems to be a re-occuring theme, I've heard that from more than a FEW people. lol

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Some claim the WD-40 removes or masks human scent and that's what makes it work.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My grandfather always swore by wd-40, when I was a young buck fishing Houghton lake he would always squirt my beno with it. Dont know if it was the reason but we caught alot of limits.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Anise oil , shad oil, garlic, salt , crawfish oil, wd40, pork chop fat, blue cheeze, these are a few of my favorite things....:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use anise oil on my grubs for blusgills. I use the cosentrarted oil and put a few drops in film canister along with some fine moist sawdust and some spikes or waxworms. you have to be willing to sacrefice the bait you put in there because it will kill it. So I always carry 2 containers, 1 treated and 1 not

·
Premium Member
29,844 Posts
The WD-40 thing works, but don't get caught using it because its considered polluting and could get ticketed. Atleast thats what i've been told. And also the older ones had some natural fish oils in it, and recent years they've changed the way its made from what hear, and its not the same. If it is true you can't scent your bait with it then lube your hooks with it. Some "hook squeek" as we refer to it as :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
never thought of using the WD-40 for ice fishing. have used it for spawn and it seemed to help. also used it in alaska for halibut. but what it does is release the oils from the fish or bait.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
An old timer told me once Wd40 used to be made with shark oil and was close enought o shad oil that the walleye couldnt tell the difference. But I think anise oil works better.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't seen anyone metion Preparation H. I've got some in my tackle box but always forget to try it when it is slow. In the past I have caught fish with it.....it has shark oil in it. (You have to get the original stuff....the newer stuff/second type has no shark oil.)

BTW....the theory that WD draws fish oils from the bait may be ok but this is also an old trick for walleye on weight forwards....which are typically baited with a crawler! It must be an attractant in and of itself!

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts