Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey JD we just got back from 3 days in Wheatley and this morning at Jacks I was reading the Wheatley Journal and your name was in the article about the Big Boys Tourney. Congrats on your 2nd place. If you want the article give me call on my mobil....419.350.0140..I will send it to you.

We have been fishing Wheatley every week since the end of June. As you know fishing has been good. It is now beyond good..red hot. We fished Monday PM from 2-6 and went 22 for 33, On Tuesday we fished 7 hours and went 50 for 70 or something like that. Today, Wednesday, we fished from 8-11:30 AM and went about 35 for 45. Hard to keep track of actual numbers due to triples and doubles, you know what I mean. Anyhow, the program was straght out 10 miles on Monday PM, 30 40 down on riggers over 55 FOW. Dipseys ( # 1, 3 setting ) 101 to 115 back with Power Pro. Tuesday and Wedneasday we went east 7 miles set up in 60 FOW riggers at 35-45 down and the same numbers as Monday for the dipseys. Only 15 boats or so each day and some were perch fishing. Kinda lonely out there! LOL! Ordinarily we would not leave fishing like that, but we had prior commitments. On Tuesday we had a tough time releasing and had to kill our limit. We donated the fish to 2 Mennonites fishing on the pier and I swear it was the 1st time any of them ever talked to us. It was cooler today and most all released easy. There is your update on Wheatley if you plan on going back.

Jim

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Some very impressive numbers. It just doesn't get any better....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
This sounds like my buddy Jim that called me yesterday. Very impressive numbers bro. These guys are animals. They usually fish from sun up to sun down (getting old?). I hope to get out with you for some muskie soon buddy. Stay in touch!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds like my buddy Jim that called me yesterday. Very impressive numbers bro. These guys are animals. They usually fish from sun up to sun down (getting old?). I hope to get out with you for some muskie soon buddy. Stay in touch!!!
Hey Rick, yup that is me. Different handle on this board. You got that right about getting old. We have not fished any 12 hour shifts this year. Maybe when we get our Pursuit, maybe then! LOL!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are leaving for Manistee this coming Monday and will be fishing salmon until the middle of September. Then we will switch gears and finish off the season for the skis. We will definately get together then to fish them. CYA then !

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
G'luck in Manistee! I may try to get for a day over Labor Day with my friends that stay at Orchard Beach State Park. This is my first year in 8 years not going up there and staying for a week.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey JD we just got back from 3 days in Wheatley and this morning at Jacks I was reading the Wheatley Journal and your name was in the article about the Big Boys Tourney. Congrats on your 2nd place. If you want the article give me call on my mobil....419.350.0140..I will send it to you.

We have been fishing Wheatley every week since the end of June. As you know fishing has been good. It is now beyond good..red hot. We fished Monday PM from 2-6 and went 22 for 33, On Tuesday we fished 7 hours and went 50 for 70 or something like that. Today, Wednesday, we fished from 8-11:30 AM and went about 35 for 45. Hard to keep track of actual numbers due to triples and doubles, you know what I mean. Anyhow, the program was straght out 10 miles on Monday PM, 30 40 down on riggers over 55 FOW. Dipseys ( # 1, 3 setting ) 101 to 115 back with Power Pro. Tuesday and Wedneasday we went east 7 miles set up in 60 FOW riggers at 35-45 down and the same numbers as Monday for the dipseys. Only 15 boats or so each day and some were perch fishing. Kinda lonely out there! LOL! Ordinarily we would not leave fishing like that, but we had prior commitments. On Tuesday we had a tough time releasing and had to kill our limit. We donated the fish to 2 Mennonites fishing on the pier and I swear it was the 1st time any of them ever talked to us. It was cooler today and most all released easy. There is your update on Wheatley if you plan on going back.

Jim
Yeah, if I could get the article that would be great. Are you going to be up in the area at all on Sat? If not I will give you a shout with my address.

Thanks for the heads up and sounds like the fishing has been great!

JD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, if I could get the article that would be great. Are you going to be up in the area at all on Sat? If not I will give you a shout with my address.

Thanks for the heads up and sounds like the fishing has been great!

JD
I wish we were going,but sadly no. Give me a shout and I will mail the whole journal to you.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts