Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a while back I posted about a few people and myself going on a hunting trip. Well it turns out the majority have decided to go to the Atlanta Mi area. Mainly because several have successfully hunted the stateland up there. This will be my first time hunting the area. So any of you familar with area able to give me a few pointers.

I am not looking for suggestions on where to hunt. But pointers for hunting the area.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Don't shoot the elk.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I love that area! It's my old stomping grounds. That's where I always hunted with my dad and grandfather and a couple others. It's a very nice area. We used to camp in one of two different locations right on Camp 30 Rd. I don't have a lot of useful information for you because I haven't been up there in about fifteen years but I really liked hunting there. There were some nice spots we'd set up camp and then walk back on some old two tracks leading back to some cleared areas that were planted and we always saw deer.

John

·
Registered
74 Posts
My biggest suggestion is wear LOTS of orange..!! There are a ton of hunters around there and it should help you stay relatively safe.

If scouting is out of the question prior to your hunt get there a couple of days early and sit in a local restaurant and listen carefully to what the locals have to say. Eavesdrop while having a coffee. The locals are a wealth of info.

Fog

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My biggest suggestion is wear LOTS of orange..!! There are a ton of hunters around there and it should help you stay relatively safe.

If scouting is out of the question prior to your hunt get there a couple of days early and sit in a local restaurant and listen carefully to what the locals have to say. Eavesdrop while having a coffee. The locals are a wealth of info.

Fog

I plan on getting there a couple days early and hopefully getting out to do some scouting while bow hunting.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Atlanta is a sweet place to be for the gun opener. A lot of old timers up that way and they are a wealth of information IF you can get them talking. Usually ain't too hard if you have the right demeanor and a hot cup of coffee to offer in the morning and a cold beer at night.

One word of caution, don't mess with the "traveling gypsies" that are always present after opening day of gun season. Most of em are married and their hubbies have come down this way to hunt.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Mich

Now you have me worried, I'm going to the same area for gun season, and I have heard the stories

I agree though coffee and beer go along way:D
Au contraire my good friend. THAT's half the excitement of deer season up that way and the only way you can lose is not knowing about it ahead of time.;)

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Atlanta is a sweet place to be for the gun opener. A lot of old timers up that way and they are a wealth of information IF you can get them talking. Usually ain't too hard if you have the right demeanor and a hot cup of coffee to offer in the morning and a cold beer at night.

One word of caution, don't mess with the "traveling gypsies" that are always present after opening day of gun season. Most of em are married and their hubbies have come down this way to hunt.:lol::lol:

Traveling Gypsies I don't understand. Besides I only plan on going to one spot when I leave camp. That place is my hunting spot.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Traveling Gypsies I don't understand. Besides I only plan on going to one spot when I leave camp. That place is my hunting spot.
When you go up north during deer season, there are always a few "friendly people" that come out and visit:D

Never go to roxy's bar in Ontanogan and Dress like a city boy:) You will be attacked :)

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you go up north during deer season, there are always a few "friendly people" that come out and visit:D

Never go to roxy's bar in Ontanogan and Dress like a city boy:) You will be attacked :)

Me dress like a city boy. That would never happen. That would be like Willie Nelson cutting his hair.:lol:

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok to bring another question to this all. Would I be better off to obtain a rifle, or is my 870 w/ rifled slug barrel and scope good enough for this area. I have never hunted north of the rifle line. Although I do have acess to a rifle. I am aslo able to buy a good used rifle from a gun store as well. I have already been looking at 30-6 or my co-worker suggests a .270.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Shotgun is plenty for the wooodlands of Atlanta. Not too many areas that call for a rifle reallly. Unless of course you're hunting farmlands. Stateland is almost exclusively forest in that area.;)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Ok to bring another question to this all. Would I be better off to obtain a rifle, or is my 870 w/ rifled slug barrel and scope good enough for this area. I have never hunted north of the rifle line. Although I do have acess to a rifle. I am aslo able to buy a good used rifle from a gun store as well. I have already been looking at 30-6 or my co-worker suggests a .270.
Take a rifle over a shotgun. Since you havent been there to scout, you wont have any idea if your scouting efforts put you on the egde of a large field or not so its better to be safe.

Since you cant bait in that county, you will really have to do your homework and scout hard and making sure you stay as scent free as possible while doing so, otherwise your scouting efforts may be hard work for nothing.

As for the elk, they are huge, even the cows are much larger than a good size buck and their butts look like that of a baboon :lol:

CB

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take a rifle over a shotgun. Since you havent been there to scout, you wont have any idea if your scouting efforts put you on the egde of a large field or not so its better to be safe.

Since you cant bait in that county, you will really have to do your homework and scout hard and making sure you stay as scent free as possible while doing so, otherwise your scouting efforts may be hard work for nothing.

As for the elk, they are huge, even the cows are much larger than a good size buck and their butts look like that of a baboon :lol:

CB

Well I know what elk look like. I been out west where they are abundant in Wyoming. Never hunted them but have seen them. :lol:

I will see what I can come up with as for a rifle. Worst comes to worst I can always borrow my dads trusty lever action 30-30 open iron sights. Great for the brush.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts