Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good hatches of walleye and yellow perch should contribute to the fishery in a few years, according to hatch assessments conducted by Fairport Harbor and Sandusky fisheries staff in Ohio.

Bottom trawls made last spring and summer in Lake Erie showed good numbers of young-of-the-year yellow perch. The hatch is the second largest in the past 13 years, second only to the large 1996 year-class, which has made up much of the harvest for the last three years. Surveys showed the number of yearling yellow perch is above average.

Walleye also had good spawning success last spring as research indicates the 1999 year-class is the fourth largest since 1986.

Reprinted, with permission, from the Great Lakes Basin Report

·
Registered
26 Posts
Max, Thanks for the update on Erie, Took my Dad for his first ever trip to Erie to catch Walleye last year. From the time the first lure hit the water till we had our limit of fifty ( five of us fishing in Ohio waters ) was two hrs and five minutes. What a blast my Dad had, I haven't seen him grin like that for a long, long time. It was worth every penny we spent on that charter boat.
The Capt. did an excellent job, there were litterally hundreds of boats out there swarming around the same area, we stayed off to the side, never had to worry about crossing lines with the other boats etc...
Thanks for bringing back the memories.

------------------
Stay on top. DAVE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember as a kid, fishing Sandusky Bay and around Cedar Point light for Yellow Perch. It was nothing to bring back 300+ Perch in a few hours of fishing.

Today, I would like to see the numbers of Perch get back to the size of schools we had back then, but keeping the limits in place so we do not kill those numbers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the message, but mostly the memories it spawned.

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

1 - 3 of 3 Posts