Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little over 10 acres that was supposed to be cut in the winter. the has been jerking me aroundfor a while now.they got in to do 40 next door to me and tore the road up. so they pulled out to wait for the road to dry. he said they will be back in a couple of weeks. I am afraid that I wont get maximuim regrowth if they wait 2 weeks. the forester says I will be ok but I have read other posts on this site that say if the trees start to bud I wont get max regowth. I also signed a contract but if I wont get the best benifit I would like to get out of the contract if I can any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I just called the USFS because I had the same question. Although I just have a couple small openings with a only a few mature poplars. However, the forester said that, while I may get some regen, that it will not be as good as if I wait until Nov-Feb. He said I'll be sure to get full 100% regen if cut in Dec-Jan. So, if I were you, I wouldn't allow the guy to cut until December. Do you have a contract? Does the contract say that cutting must be in winter? Does the contract say the cutter decides when to cut? Either way, I wouldn't let him cut now. Even if contract says he can cut whenever, get a lawyer and explain that the cutter promised cutting would be done in winter and stop him from cutting. I'd call the cutter today and tell him that in no way is he cutting now, despite whatever promises about regen he make. Look at your contract again too. The head tree expert at the Baldwin USFS office says not the best idea to cut now, a little too late. I'd trust the expert forester instead of the guy making the buck off it. I'd wait until next winter. Only because you risk poor regen if done now.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I`m with BOB on this one. For aspen regeneration you want to cut them when the sap is in the root system. Not when it is moving up the trunk to feed the leaves.

The timing of the cut would not matter if you were cutting for a food plot. For regeneration though, timing will make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies.lucky for me I went up there this weekend and they tore the private road up real bad doing my neighbors 30 acres. some of my neighbors had attorneys call the forester about the road and he is going to let me out of my contract.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Jig head
Logging is not an exact science (on when a guy can get out and do yours, the weather on his other jobs this winter may have played into putting him behind) so you may want to cut this guy some slack (he also may be a jerk, LOL) But if you only have ten acres to cut, you may want to be social when talking to him and ask if you can be first on his list for next year. It may (or may not)
In your area be tough to get a quality logger to bring his equipment in for 10 acres so you may want to explain to him your reasons and see how he reacts. If he has tore up the road he may be a bit unethical, then again maybe your neighbor is not telling you the whole story. He may have explained to the neighbor what will happen and he did not think it would be that bad and told him go ahead. They should be in break up right now (I would think by you) Just a soupy mess to do anything like that right now.
I agree with the others, ask him (dont tell) and maybe you will be treated great next winter. I have been thru this kinda thing before, the weather plays a big role in when and how fast a job gets done. my .02
Good luck
Brokenarrow

·
Registered
35,821 Posts
Since you're getting out of your contract, make sure you learn from it and specify winter cuts only or narrow it down even further.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did specify that I wanted the cutting done in the winter. while the road was frozen. the forester works for lp and says that they cut all summer and still get good regrowth. but I will take the advice of the replies on this site and wait. possibly contact another forester for next winter. this is somthing that I have been talking to this guy about for 1 year now. they solicited me when I purchased the property.thanks for all the input this is the greatest web site there is.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
We've had 3 different aspen harvests at our club. Each time, I told the cutters when I wanted it cut, not the other way around. And get dates and price in a contract. No contract, no trees. You're the landowner, they work for you. Specify all cutting be done between Dec. 1 and March 31. Make sure no cutting while deer hunting. Or, if you still may be hunting in Dec, make it Jan-March. And if you can't get it done this year by this same company, find another or wait until winter of 2005. But you should be able to find someone who'll cut your trees this next winter. Sounds to me that this timber guy may not have his act together. Maybe find someone else. Call the local USFS, soil conservation of MDNR to see if they have any names of maybe more professional companies. Most big league timber companies run a pretty tight ship and have their schedules pretty much down. My advice anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts