Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 453 Posts

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a thread you can post your questions to. "Any" question will be answered in a timely fashion. There may be multiple experts answering the same question. You may or may not understand the answer as these are true pros and can be very technical.

Ill go first - Can i spear even if there isn't ice?

· Registered
11,558 Posts
Here is a thread you can post your questions to. "Any" question will be answered in a timely fashion. There may be multiple experts answering the same question. You may or may not understand the answer as these are true pros and can be very technical.

Ill go first - Can i spear even if there isn't ice?

Of course the first to answer will be far from an "expert".

Yes, one can spear without ice, but NOT pike and muskie.

Almost every other species can be speared without the "through the ice" stipulation.

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course the first to answer will be far from an "expert".

Yes, one can spear without ice, but NOT pike and muskie.

Almost every other species can be speared without the "through the ice" stipulation.
So the hub on the end of my dock is out. :(

· Darkhouse Ninja
6,031 Posts
Can I use my Hawiiwan Sling or spear gun off the side of the boat? That sling hasn't tasted a fish in 20 years. I'll bet she's hungry!

Fun but serious question in a way. I like the thread idea for sure.
No, I believe there’s a note in the regulation book that states you have to be totally submerged in water to use anything except a bow or hand spear, and only hand spears though the ice for pike and Muskie

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
11,558 Posts
Can I use my Hawiiwan Sling or spear gun off the side of the boat? That sling hasn't tasted a fish in 20 years. I'll bet she's hungry!

Fun but serious question in a way. I like the thread idea for sure.
Once again, spearfishing is legal in Michigan, but NOT for pike and Muskie.

Heck, one can use a crossbow to spear perch on Lake St. Clair.... figure that one out.

· Premium Member
14,309 Posts
I guess the conflicts are why I'm confused. I'm just curious and there is no agenda. I guess I could use a mask and snorkel and shoot trout as long as my hair got wet?

I got an invite to spearfish in a Darkhouse this winter and I've never done it but I think it would be cool. I'm looking forward to the idea.

Here's my dumb question. Can you use lights to draw fish in after dark? Lanterns and artificial lights work well on specks so I'm curious if it will draw a pike in or if it's legal? I'm excited to try what you guys are doing. Seems like fun.

· Registered
3,331 Posts
Not that I would or want to see anyone doing it but would it be legal to keep a live fish on hook and line under your shanty to draw in a pike to spear? Say a perch or blue gill.
You can legally do so. Or use a decoy pin or harness for them. If it has a hook it will count towards your rod limit even if it is in the fish's mouth.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
11,558 Posts
I guess the conflicts are why I'm confused. I'm just curious and there is no agenda. I guess I could use a mask and snorkel and shoot trout as long as my hair got wet?

I got an invite to spearfish in a Darkhouse this winter and I've never done it but I think it would be cool. I'm looking forward to the idea.

Here's my dumb question. Can you use lights to draw fish in after dark? Lanterns and artificial lights work well on specks so I'm curious if it will draw a pike in or if it's legal? I'm excited to try what you guys are doing. Seems like fun.

A big negative on the trout.

All the species that are allowed to be speared and their specific rules can be found in Michigan Fisheries Order 219.18. Just google it. It's generally a pdf file.

· Registered
527 Posts
Make sure it's tight then put a stainless pin in it
I put polyurethane glue in the tube and 2 part epoxy around the shoulder area of the wood. Once its dried I drill it and drive two stainless roll pins in. Sometimes not always I then tig weld over the pins with very little heat.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
How should I go about attaching a wood handle to a steel tube spear handle?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I used Gorilla glue on a loose handle once. It expands and fills in the voids. Just make sure to pin it and clamp it straight right away.

· Registered
527 Posts
I used Gorilla glue on a loose handle once. It expands and fills in the voids. Just make sure to pin it and clamp it straight right away.
That's the polyurethane glue I use. You need to seal it off from water with an epoxy, I know it says its water proof but all polyurethane glues break down over time from water contact.

1 - 20 of 453 Posts