Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that gunrod stated that it was ok to open another thread on this issue. I picked up an issue of Fly Fish America the other day and it has an article on Asian made rods. There is quite a long list of rod makers in the article that have at least one Asian made rod in their line up, including Abel,Cabelas,Cortland,Lamiglass, and Winston among others.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
The last thread just got off topic in way too many directions. Let's just keep it nice and on topic. If someone has a point to make off topic they can start another thread.

I must admit that I pay little attention to where rods are manufactured, assembled and the such so I find these threads pretty interesting.

Let the discussion begin.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
twohand said:
I picked up an issue of Fly Fish America the other day and it has an article on Asian made rods. There is quite a long list of rod makers in the article that have at least one Asian made rod in their line up, including Abel,Cabelas,Cortland,Lamiglass, and Winston among others.
I'm gonna guess that most manufacturers have rods made out of country. Whether it be there lower end models or their upper echelon rods. I think the closed post illustrates that point. St. Croix may make many rods in the USA but they also make rods elsewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only issue with the asian market is, as states very well in Fly Fish America, rod quality and action can vary greatly from production run to production run. The asians dont fly fish so it should take them years to reach the quality of some of the higher end rods. I like the fact that there are so many rods out there that are affordable. About six months after I got married I came home with a brand new sage rod. The price tag about sent her into orbit. Thats was all that was availible at the time that suited my needs.`The asian rods are built for the beginner or novice from a price standpoint. They have their place in the market.
Now I just order the blank and build my own. That way the wife doesnt see that 600.00 price, she only see's the bunch of smaller reciepts.:evil:

·
Registered
563 Posts
the thing with that theory is that some imports are much better than others and promoted by our domestic top shelf manufacturors. its a market tool allowing them to offer a decent rod thats very price competitive. capture some of those sales that have been slipping through the cracks......

hi-qual is exactly that...... hi-qual. put the required effort and cost there of into production with the right supervision and the results will be comparable regardless of what continent it takes place on. money talks....... you can hire the same experience to brainstorm and make any project reality if the same resources [skilled operators & state of the art equip] are in place, up and running.

it really dosn't matter if a machine operator or tradesman has a clue about fishing rods or not....... as long as he understands how to adhere to a tight set of tolerances!

i know Japan has quite a following for fly fishing with some great tackle. run a search on 'CND' rods for a look. i'm pretty sure those blanks come from S. Korea. ever heard of 'LOOP' tackle from sweden? awsome rods and reels...... the rods and now most of the reels..... S. Korea origin.

dont get me wrong & think i'm trying to promote foriegn origin gear because i'm not. just trying to point out that the quality is there on the upper end stuff. i'm sure not scared of it and have a few pieces that i'm quite happy with.

what bugs me is how some of our older recognised brand names can be quietly replaced with outsource stuff. legit people/products dont hide from the facts. ones that do, and i can think of several......... well, i tend to steer clear from them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think the best way to look at this is by comparing two rods asian and american made. Shimano the parent company of gloomis for the past few years has taken the cross schrim technology from loomis imx rods and started producing that rod overseas instead of in the american market to greatly reduce the price of the rod. Next time your out pick up a loomis imx and a shimano crucial.... very very similar and drastic price differences. St croix is american made and we had a large batch of legend tournament and legend elite come in with the spline every which way but the right way, the asian market reduces our prices. We all want american made at asian prices..

sideshow

·
Registered
563 Posts
The blanks for our Reign fly rods are designed by our Engineer, Jason Brunner, who designs all of our rod blanks, including those for our top-performance Legend Elite and Legend Ultra fly rods. Furthermore, Reign fly rods are constructed to our exact specifications, under our own supervision.
taken from Basilwilliam's letter rcd from St Croix rods president Paul Schluter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Temple Fork rods are also made in Asia. But unlike other companies they actually pass the savings on to the consumers---and make a very nice rod.
Joel

·
Registered
710 Posts
We buy products form overseas everyday and it's no different in the fishing rod and tackle industries.
Some fisherman demand the best quality rod money can buy with a lifetime guarantee from a company that is well established in the USA with a .good reputation.
For them people price is no object, and some even trot the price they pay as some type of badge of honor.
Other fisherman who have lesser means or are saddled with a wife family and a mortgage may chouse to buy a rod that they don't need to take a second mortgage out on the home to purchase.
There is a place for both types of fisherman on this earth

OSD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old Steelhead Dude said:
We buy products form overseas everyday and it's no different in the fishing rod and tackle industries.
Some fisherman demand the best quality rod money can buy with a lifetime guarantee from a company that is well established in the USA with a .good reputation.
For them people price is no object, and some even trot the price they pay as some type of badge of honor.
Other fisherman who have lesser means or are saddled with a wife family and a mortgage may chouse to buy a rod that they don't need to take a second mortgage out on the home to purchase.
There is a place for both types of fisherman on this earth

OSD.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I have fished with nearly every rod mentioned in this thread. I have found some good and others not so good. I finally settled on sage rods a couple years ago. You are correct they are more money than most, and yes I am "strapped" with a wife, three kids, ETC. I choose to save until I have enough for what I want. I had my first sage, a discovery series, leaned in my truck while getting my waders on. It fell, I stepped and it broke. Sage gave me a brand new rod to replace it for 30 bucks. As I get older I dont mind paying a little more for a good product coupled with good customer service.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
jpolson said:
Temple Fork rods are also made in Asia. But unlike other companies they actually pass the savings on to the consumers---and make a very nice rod.
Joel
You're painting with an awfully wide brush here, jpolson.
Bass Pro rods
Cabella's rods
Echo (Rajeffs design)
Redington
Winston
Orvis...

I could go on and on with brands of rods that are priced at or below those of TFO and work just as well. TFO is a product of excellant marketing! They were out for years and just run-of-the-mill rods until they had the genius of hiring Lefty to hawk them. Right after he signed on, and before he even had a hand at designing some of them they became 'THE' rod to own.

Echo's are priced right there, are better built and use better material but lack the Lefty factor!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
TNRIVERRAT said:
I agree and disagree at the same time...
The #1 reason I buy a rod is how it works in my hands. I started off with low-end rods and gradually worked my way up to being able to get the rods I wanted. The first good rod I bought taught me that if you take your time, save your pennies and really research and cast many, many rods the right one will show itself. Once bought, the price you paid isn't even a concern after a short while.
It's when you go to sell or trade it for whatever reason that you realize that a good rod holds its value well and you were able to use a very good rod at little to no cost.

The grin factor the right rod brings? Priceless! :corkysm55

1 - 12 of 12 Posts