Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Still is only a "maybe" situation. Now is the time to write to each Senator and Representative from Michigan and surrounding states and tell them to get on the ball with protective measures.

·
Registered
531 Posts
No we could only wish bow equipment would make a difference!!

Wzzm talked about it last week and someone had told them the agencys involved are looking to poison them out of the shipping channel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In all seriousness I fear these fish are coming reguarless of how much money we spend to stop them.
It seems to me that fish spread by other means than migration. I mean if you dig a pond in your yard, you will have fish in it within 6 months if you like it or not.
We might as well do like everyone down stream did, grab your bow and go out in style.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Poison planned to keep Asian carp from Great Lakes

By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer Caryn Rousseau, Associated Press Writer – Wed Dec 2, 9:18 am ET
CHICAGO – Illinois environmental officials will dump a toxic chemical into a nearly 6-mile stretch of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal Wednesday to keep the voracious Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes while an electrical barrier is turned off for maintenance.

The fish toxin rotenone will be spread Wednesday evening near Lockport, Illinois Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman Stacey Solano said. After about eight hours, crews will use large cranes with nets to scoop up an estimated 200,000 pounds of dead fish.....

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Free press today said grandhole was pushing for legal action to keep them out.

The report also said they have found asian carp DNA N of the weir so it may be too little to late...

Time will tell..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
30,118 Posts
Hope for the best. Maybe it won't be so bad. I don't think the Mississippi system has the predators that we have in the great lakes..i.e. salmon,lakers,browns,steel, etc. They mostly have bottom dwelling fish like cats,drum,buffalo, etc. These fish feed high in the water column on plankton, and might make perfect prey fish for ours with the declining of alewives. They have to be born from eggs, and are little for quite awhile, maybe even perch would love them? They have never saw a system like the great lakes, so no one knows what will happen, only speculation due to volume of water. Everyone was worried about the gobies taking over with no natural predators. Well of course not, our fish have never seen them. Now they are eating them from perch,walleye,bass,to lakers and steel. One other thing is the commercial guys should be happy if it happens, along with the native americans. Big fish, net all you want. I'd start my own catfood company if I had the money to start it up. All in all, it will take them quite some time to take over the lakes, and in that time I think our fish will nuetralize them to some extent. Besides, they are good tasting, just get the bad hype from the name "carp". The don't even feed near the bottom. Here's some good reading on them, also there's alot of info on their quality of taste, just do some searching......

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/20.htm

·
Registered
478 Posts
They tried that Rotenone thing with the carp in the Huron River.

The reason as I recall, was that the carp were interfering in some way with the planting of the Rainbow Trout.

So they poisoned the river, killed everything, they thought, brought the water back up...

Years later...carp everywhere.

Seems there were eggs buried in the silt, fertile ones.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, I wish them all the luck. Carp are just one more thing that should never have come across the pond IMO.

"Our collective opinion is that in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron I do not believe that there's a high probability of huge numbers of these fish being able to survive and do well," he said. "The food resources are just not there. The bottom of the food chain has changed so dramatically in the past few years." - Jim Dexter MDNR

Man I hope he's right !!! :sad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go to mlive.com Bay City section they poisoned the canal and found one 22" asian carp, so if they found one there are more. Hell with the bow get the shotgun out.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
They tried that Rotenone thing with the carp in the Huron River.
So they poisoned the river, killed everything, they thought, brought the water back up...

Years later...carp everywhere.

Seems there were eggs buried in the silt, fertile ones.
Think about these points regarding the Huron River before jumping on the theory of some buried eggs. Oh, and where was the info published about the buried eggs??

Any thought that the carp would have come back up the river from that big lake it dumps into? Or any thought that the carp would come back into the river from all the small rivers, streams, lakes and ponds that feed the river?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts