Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN

Robert Traver 1964, (Judge John Voelker 1903-93)

I fish because I love to;

Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

Because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;

Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

Because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

Because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;

And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun.
Best of luck to all for the Stream-Trout Opener. - Eric

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
Thanks for that i2f! It reads like a great prayer. I need to buy that book.

Best to everyone, especially when you go out there for fun and to forget about unimportant things.

Reactions: itchn2fish

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
Can't wait.
Heh heh 'fine line' ...unfortunately for me even when I am fishing, it doesn't cure the idiot part. I can't shake it. :coco:

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I need to go pick some crawlers too.
See how you are?

A dozen in a shallow container with damp ,not wet, paper bedding crowding them ,or your preferred bedding , placed in the upper fridge and peeked in on occasionally will be conditioned in a week.
A clean shallow sour cream container with perforations in the lid for example.
Transfer them to a proper vehicle to go fishing so not to appear low brow.
A Crown Royal bag covering a Grey Poupon jar or something..
Not poopy or wimpy or drown first cast type results.
Careful though they get tough and mean.
Calm water and little weight they can make a rod tip do the shimmy.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
See how you are?

A dozen in a shallow container with damp ,not wet, paper bedding crowding them ,or your preferred bedding , placed in the upper fridge and peeked in on occasionally will be conditioned in a week.
A clean shallow sour cream container with perforations in the lid for example.
Transfer them to a proper vehicle to go fishing so not to appear low brow.
A Crown Royal bag covering a Grey Poupon jar or something..
Not poopy or wimpy or drown first cast type results.
Careful though they get tough and mean.
Calm water and little weight they can make a rod tip do the shimmy.
Who cares about how we look. Back when I was a real trout bum I didn't shave for weeks, wash the fishmobile and always had rod, waders, creel and net (in case I was targeting big browns). This will be my first year without the trusty fishmobile in 7 years as she has left us. It was a dirt brown Impala that fellow trout bums may have seen parked at bridges, driveways or public accesses. A lot of fish have taken a ride iced down in the trunk of that old beater.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Who cares about how we look. Back when I was a real trout bum I didn't shave for weeks, wash the fishmobile and always had rod, waders, creel and net (in case I was targeting big browns). This will be my first year without the trusty fishmobile in 7 years as she has left us. It was a dirt brown Impala that fellow trout bums may have seen parked at bridges, driveways or public accesses. A lot of fish have taken a ride iced down in the trunk of that old beater.
What are you driving now and in what county will you be fishing opening day buddy? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
801 Posts
I need to go pick some crawlers too.
I hit the mother load last week. one of those mornings when every worm and crawler in the ground was up on the sidewalk. I need to check that stash, thanks for reminding me :)

Reactions: itchn2fish
1 - 20 of 34 Posts