Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What constitutes hunting within a road right of way in Michigan? I understand freeways, highways, two lane paved roads, high traffic dirt roads.....but what about, say for example, a dirt Forest Service road in the middle of no where in the U.P. Whould this count? Not sure and I've gotten a lot of responses....most are ridiculus....even from law enforcement personnel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
uptracker said:
What constitutes hunting within a road right of way in Michigan? I understand freeways, highways, two lane paved roads, high traffic dirt roads.....but what about, say for example, a dirt Forest Service road in the middle of no where in the U.P. Whould this count? Not sure and I've gotten a lot of responses....most are ridiculus....even from law enforcement personnel.
Could you re-state your question? I'm unsure what you want to know about.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
There is no violation from hunting from a roadway unless your discharge of a weapon is done in a careless or reckless manner but one doesn't have to be on a roadway to be careless or reckless. Unless you are talking about hunting from a motorized vehicle which can't be done without a permit or trespass which you can't do unless you have permission to hunt one side or the other of the roadway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AnswerGuy8:

To rephrase, here's an example:

I am walking down a Forest Service Road in the deep U.P. with a 12 ga. shotgun. A pat flies across the road and I take a shot at it (in season of course). This road is plowed in the winter but maybe has 5 cars per day on it throughout the year.

What if it were a less used two track also?

Boehr: What is a road? I'm looking for a definition of that too....a DNR definition.

The reason I am asking is because I hunt coyotes this way in the U.P. Mainly because there are two old timers that hunt a well used road just 10 ft. from their van during gun season and say that the DNR checks them every year. This is stateland just 22 miles south of the Soo that they are doing it on. there is very heavy traffic on it through opening week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
uptracker said:
AnswerGuy8:

To rephrase, here's an example:

I am walking down a Forest Service Road in the deep U.P. with a 12 ga. shotgun. A pat flies across the road and I take a shot at it (in season of course). This road is plowed in the winter but maybe has 5 cars per day on it throughout the year..
You could be walking down US-2 and take a shot at the pat A) if you were the property owner(or had permission from the owner)or B) if it was state land on both sides of the highway.



uptracker said:
The reason I am asking is because I hunt coyotes this way in the U.P. Mainly because there are two old timers that hunt a well used road just 10 ft. from their van during gun season and say that the DNR checks them every year. .
What are they checking them for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess just licenses because they say they've never had a problem in the 30+ years they've been doing it in the same spot. They are both in their 80's. They basically set up shop on the side of the road....coffee, camp stove, full breakfast...lunch...and dinner, out of the back of two vans. They shoot off of homemade rests on pole they've constructed. They each sit in a lawn chair, one quartering each direction to shoot down the road. I said "do you guys do any good like this? They said, "We would've moved 30 years ago if we didn't.":lol:

I just think their particular spot would get them in trouble.

I am personally asking because I do it on two tracks for coyotes and would like to hunt one particular area of a Forest Service Road in Hiawatha NF. Just makes me nervous not knowing the exact law. The guide book is vague to me. US-2 would make me really nervous.:lol:

What about the 450 feet rule?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing, if I park my truck around a corner, walk around that corner, call in a yote and shoot it, is there a specified distance I have to be from the truck to hunt or shoot.

I am not incinuating that I am hunting from a vehicle, never have, never would, but I've heard of guys driving down the road, seeing a deer, jumping out, grab the gun, load it, walk away from the vehicle, shoot the deer, and get busted for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
uptracker said:
What about the 450 feet rule?
Of course you always have to observe the 450 foot rule unless the property owner(s) give you permission.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
The DNR doesn't define a road, the motor vehicle code defines a road. 450 feet is the safety zone for a dwelling, has nothing to do with a road itself. A person can sit in a chair right along side their car and there would be no violation except as I stated above. I guess I also don't understand what else you are asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
uptracker said:
One more thing, if I park my truck around a corner, walk around that corner, call in a yote and shoot it, is there a specified distance I have to be from the truck to hunt or shoot. .
All you needed to do was get out of the vehicle. Just don't use your vehicle as a rifle rest.

uptracker said:
I've heard of guys driving down the road, seeing a deer, jumping out, grab the gun, load it, walk away from the vehicle, shoot the deer, and get busted for it.
Might have heard of it but it's not true. What you have described is totally legal.

FWIW- Some states have laws against road hunting, Michigan doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about just crossing a railroad with a loaded gun then?:D



That covers it all then. Thanks guys.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,839 Posts
You can "cross" (emphasis added) railroad tracks but you you can not hunt the tracks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top