Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide how much to spend on carbon arrows. I've been looking at Gold Tip. I want an arrow for hunting. With my current shooting ability I've got decent groups out to 40yds and for hunting situations I feel that 30yds is a good max range for me provided I am confident of the distance and have a perfect shot oppertunity. I really have no desire nor think it wise to attempt to take deer beyond this distance. Currently I'm shooting the cheapest gold tips and practice shots out to 50yds. Naturally my groupings increase from longer distances but I'd like to eliminate arrow straightness as a significant factor. For what I'm looking for is it worth getting a straighter arrow? Does anyone have information on any studies comparing groups of arrows shot with tolerances of .007 vs .001 etc?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Wolfgang: The straighter the arrow, the better the shot. .006 is a big difference in straightness. Just consider what happens to that arrow once you release the string, then ask yourself if you might be able to shoot better with a staighter arrow. Personally, if an arrow got .007 off, I would not shoot it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 human hairs seems pretty good when you consider other factors such as wind, broad head effects, weight differences between arrows, shooter inconsistancy etc. Just want to know if I shoot 12 arrows at .001 vs .006 if my groups with broadheads will be noticably tighter at 30 yds. It seems this would be easy for someone to test as long as all variables except arrow straightness are knocked out. If I had the money I'd just by the .001's but I don't think I can justify the extra bucks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
.007 seems like a lot. I am not sure about the mechanics, however, I am sure about the tolerance allowed.
You could make a jig to check for straightness.
I would think that 30 yrd groups, with a tighter (straightness) tolerance would be significant.
I could be wrong, the bow "pro's" could help you more....
That tolerance seems extreme. Is it an industry standard? I would be willing to verifiy this. I have access to a CMM if it would help...
kb

·
Registered
462 Posts
I got to thinking abou this. Has anybody actually went and verified the OEM's tolerance specs? If so, how did you go about it?
KB

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
When it comes to goldtips, the difference between the hunter models(low tolerance) and the pro models(high tolerance) is just tolerance. They are made in the same run from the same machine. The only difference is, that the pro models are checked for straightness and sorted out. Then those sorted out shafts are then weighed and put in dozens with the same weight. So thats why with the pro models you'll see goldtip actually put on the weight of bareshaft on the outside of the package. That way you know what shoots good and you know what to look for.

So the Pro's have tolerance of =/-.001. Which means there are a lot of =/-.002 that don't make the cut. I've purchased a dozen hunter models and out of dozen only 3 had actual good broadhead flight. With the pros every single dozen would be spot on. Those three out of the hunters that were on are probably the ones that barely missed the cut to go pro so to speak. I know it don't seem like much but +/-.003 is a huge difference when shooting fixed heads at distances over 18 yards.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
I'm no expert by any means ...... but, don't scrimp on your arrows! I feel it's the single most important item for hunting. I swear by the GT Pro Hunters. $100 a dozen w/vanes and inserts where I buy them.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You can not go wrong with Goldtip arrows this past season I switch to a different arrow just to see what else was out there and it was a bad descion. Next season I will be shooting Goldtip arrows with the tightest tolerance that I can afford. Previously I shot GoldtipXT 5575 +/- .003 and they worked fine.

fulldraw

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Even though the straightness factor might be lower on some shafts ,they will vary somewhat within a dozen shafts .
It is just as important to check for insert alignment to get good broadhead flight . If the inserts are not straight within the shaft , you will never get good arrow flight with broadheads .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts