Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been shoooting a youth bow, i got when i was 13, for the past 20 yrs. this year i decided to pass it down to my son and upgrage. i just bought a pse brute x. great bow but alot different from what im used to. faster, lighter, preloaded limbs, cam, etc. now i need to figure out what size arrow to shoot. i have a 27" draw length, 58lb draw, single cam, whisker biscuit rest and shoot with d-loop and release. any suggestions on arrows type, size, or how to determine? i heard arrow size is critical so want to do it right.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Many bits of information left out here. If you bought this from a pro shop they should have assisted. We need arrow length, fletching type what grain tip are you using. Also it's not really the size but the spine you need to match. I quick shot from the hip would say 400 spine with a 27-28" arrow w/100 grain tip. Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Many bits of information left out here. If you bought this from a pro shop they should have assisted. We need arrow length, fletching type what grain tip are you using. Also it's not really the size but the spine you need to match. I quick shot from the hip would say 400 spine with a 27-28" arrow w/100 grain tip. Anyone else?
Sounds like a good match to me. Gold tip 5575 with a 100 grain would be my pick. I have my bow set at 61 for the offseason and that's what I use and they fly great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i measured an arrow at full draw to the outside edge of my WB rest was just over 24.5". my bow says draw is set at 27" but my rest sits back. I used to shoot carbon express 45-60 walmart 30" arrows as is(not cut down) but they stuck out past my rest 4-5 inches. Measuring an inch past my rest would put my arrow about 25.5". Also i was using blazer vanes and 100gr tips. I see they arrow size scale seams different with other makers. I just want to make sure when i get arrows i know somewhat what i should be getting in case i have another bad experience with pro shop help(2 for 2 with bad help so far). Thanks!

·
Registered
932 Posts
You can cut your arrows anywhere you want past your rest but one thing to keep in mind is what kind of broadhead and where your hand is at when you shoot. I cut mine about 1.5" past my rest. You want to get an arrow spined for as much or over your draw weight. Better to be too heavy than light on that(goldtip 55/75). 100 grain head would be as high as I would go with your set up. My .02!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
CX is weird they go opposite of the industry the smaller the number the weaker the arrow. The 250 arrow is appx .400 so that is what you'll be looking for. Cutting the arrows that short (25.5") may give you tuning fits. Get some arrows cut a couple at 27.5" and see how they fly. The longer arrow will give you a little lee way in the spine area but if for some reason you crank her up you could always cut them back a bit which makes the arrow "dynamically" stiffer, yes on the stiff side is better than on the weak side for hunting. Some guys don't feel right having the BH so close to the bow hand, I shot overdraws for years , doesn't bother ME a bit but everyone is different. You should be able to use any 100gr Bh and have clearance with the cut outs PSE designs into their bows.

One very important thing. Before you buy/cut arrows make 100% sure of your draw length. I see way too many people too long or perhaps in your case too short. One inch in front of the rest is a rule of thumb but not etched in stone. You want Blazers or the = with that rest too.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Harold where ya located? Just curious for nearby pro shops.

I agree with draw lengths often being too long or too short. Mostly I see people with too long of draw lengths, which is when you'll see the popular hyperextended elbow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. All has helped. I am in the Swartz Creek area. I payed to have gander mountain tune my old bow and it was all jacked up after, I had to redo it myself cause arrows flying sideways and innaccurate including move the string nock, rest, weight, and paper tuned. Then bass pro was too busy to take the time to set my new bow up right so did it myself at home. Thanks again. Gonna get some arrows this weekend.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
When deciding on an arrow length consider your broadhead choice. Had a customer get new arrows and then decide to change the rest a week later, his Rage crashed into his rest so no Rages unless he bought new arrows that were cut longer. Just curious, how far do you have your WB from the back of the riser? I like minimal clearance when setting those up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for all the info. All has helped. I am in the Swartz Creek area. I payed to have gander mountain tune my old bow and it was all jacked up after, I had to redo it myself cause arrows flying sideways and innaccurate including move the string nock, rest, weight, and paper tuned. Then bass pro was too busy to take the time to set my new bow up right so did it myself at home. Thanks again. Gonna get some arrows this weekend.
I'm from Mundy Twp and had the same experience at Gander. Had the guy swear my arrows were flyin straight as I watched em fish tail. I think I'm gonna give the guys at Hicks a shot, but I'm hopin for some feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts