Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wanted to hold off on any major adjustment to my bow until after the end of deer season.
Now I am considering a few changes that I have been thinking about since mid-October, primarily around arrow rests & holders.

My targets are these:
1. Stay quiet, both in the draw and in the release I use mole skin on my two-prong rest, but it does wear thin from time to time.
2. Keep the arrow on my rest even if I am moving around. I have a little rubber clip-on arrow holder now that I am getting rid of. It some times sticks and pulls the arrow off the rest during the draw, instead of releasing like it should.
3. Keep consistent. That is, use products that are durable after going through some brush, and do not have to be constantly re-tuned if they are bumped a little.

I am considering a whisker biscuit as a rest-holder.
My Brother-in-law got an overdraw for Christmas and he and I have been debating the relative advantages. He wants to increase his arrow speed by using a shorter arrow. I questioned whether he was going to lose impact friction if he did so.

I would like to hear all of your input concerning any combination of these products: arrow rests, arrow holders, overdraws, and products that combine functionality of more than one of them.
I would like to know why you use what you use, and what were the trade-offs you were willing to give up by using your system as opposed to others.
Thanks,
Amos

·
Registered
838 Posts
As far as an overdraw goes--I say forget it. An overdraw creates more problems with torque than it solves with speed. You have to hold the bow much more consistently with an overdraw, which might not seem like much of a problem when out shooting at a target in the back yard, but when the moment of truth comes along on that monster buck, you may forget to hold it just perfect and the arrow will hit way off from the point of aim--and you may not notice a difference in the way you were holding the bow. Just my 2 cents, :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Amos your request is multifaceted! I'll do my best to ring in.

Arrow rest- I use a Tm hunter style two prong rest tipped with teflon,for silence during the draw. If the teflon tips wear out (maybe once a year) I just replace them. This style of rest I have found to be simple and durable. kinda like me! I would also recommend "Limb Savers", If your not familiar with them, they are rubber bottons that adhere on or inbetween your limbs. They reduce vibration and noise by vibrating at a diffrent rate(MHz) then the rest of your bow(when you shoot it of course).They are the best $16.00 I ever spent! I also use moleskin on my riser and rest and rest shelf. I also use an arrow holder,I actually have five of them on my left hand!

The option to shorten your arrow is complicated. I can offer you this: a longer arrow tends to be more forgiving. That being said I would shoot a long, lightweight shaft as fast as you can and still hold spline. If you are trying diffrent shafts then definatley paper tune as you go. Personaly I shoot aluminum(cheap) 2413's at 29 inches in length.I keep sline with the DIA of 24/64th's this allows me to use only a .013 wall thickness. I shoot a fat lightweight arrow(I once shot 2512's). My bow draws 75# with 75% let off and my arrows reach velocities in the mid high 280's(fts)more than enough to open mechanical broadheads down range. I am a firm believer that shot placement is far more important than velocity. A deer shot in the guts with an arrow going 6,000MPH is still shot in the guts! right. If given the choice I would take silence and accuracy then rely on my abilities as a hunter to bring the deer in close enough to kill.-And thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Amos,

As far as the overdraw goes I am with Da Yoop. A little flinch and your arrows will be way off. Your bow will be noticebly louder. I believe quiet is the key to sucess even though I don't use a compound bow anymore. When I did TM hunter was the rest I used with mole hair on the prongs and on the riser. The limb savers also make a major difference in noise. A release is also quieter than finger tips. However as far as quiet goes the self bow I shoot is as close to silent as I have heard.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Amos...pal....I just went through the same ordeal.
Check this out....
goto www.cabelas.com and look at their arrow rests.
I absolutely, hands down, no questions asked recommend the "Silent Solution" arrow rest. Whether you use an overdraw or not, this rest is the tops.
Forget the mole skin on the prong style TM hunters, it wears down and adds inconsistency with every shot...that's what I started out with this year.
I had a big 10 pt. hear me draw at 20 yards and he took off without ever lookin at what made the noise with that setup. Even with mole skin you can hear the aluminum slide...and the skin only last a few dozen shots.
I made a small aluminum bracket to go over my arrow rest arm so instead of one bolt holding the rest to my bow, I now have three bolts in a triangle pattern, you can whack it with a hammer and it won't move.
As for the overdraw.....I find that they are a disadvantage for woodland whitetails...white-tails react faster than any bow shoots. The faster and shorter the arrow, the louder the sound. HOWEVER....I definitely needed an overdraw to hunt bou's in AK on the tundra where a 50 yd shot may be necessary and the flat trajectory is a big benefit. It is a personal choice for the type of hunting you do.
Some guys on this site turned me onto the arrow rest I mentioned, and I will never go back.
BRAS!
BreathRelaxAimShoot!
Hunt

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Amos, I'll ring in w/ the majority speed is not where its at, stealth and accuracy is what's needed. Like Huntnut said, unless your on the tundra or prairie forget the overdraw. As far as rests I've used Tiger Tuff (prong style) for several years now but if the rest Huntnut is talking about is the same Joe Archer spoke of before w/ the rubber wheels I plan on trying that myself this year.

As far as arrows try a good carbon w/ the proper spine if your looking for a little extra speed w/o the overdraw. I've used several different brands and most are dependable, durable, won't bend and in the long run more economical.

Like Song-Dog I try to practice the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid)for hunting rigs. Fewer parts-Fewer problems! That's my $.02.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I shoot selfbows, but wrenched on a few of them compounds, you can use that plastic dip on them T.M. Hunter style rest, the two prong type. On the overdraw try it, shoot it thru a chronograph, see if ya like it, that's the fun part of archery, playing around with your tackle in the off season. Good luck and have fun trying different set-ups.
woodencanoe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Amos. I personly have used overdraws on my bows since about 1988. I started with a Pearson Spoiler, it is about 36 inches axel to axel.(a very unforgiving bow) If you havent already swithed to a release start now. pratice with your bow alot with the release.also use a rest suitable to shoot on a overdraw. once you feel comforble with set up install your overdraw a pratice pratice pratice. I myself shoot Hoyt bows now.most bows these days allready have a built in overdraw, or recessed riser of some sort. make sure your arrows are the right spline or weight. if your into speed and flater shooting bows you will love shooting a overdrawn bow.
moleskin on the riser and anywhere the arrow could touch if it fell off the rest helps allot trust me. If your going to use expandable broadheads shoot at least 65+ pounds. i havent try the limb savers yet but have heard they work well. have fun and shoot strait.

------------------

·
Administrator
35,792 Posts
The "Silent Solution" is the Caddilac of arrow rests. I use one myself. Check them out. It is the quietest you will find.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I have read the posts on the Silent Solution arrow rest, viewed the pictures and read about it in the Cabela's catalog, and it seems like the way to go. I've tried about everything on my prong-style rest, and have yet to come up with a silencing methodology that I have 100% confidence in under all conditions.

I'm not mechanically inclined, and always hire an expert to install, tune, and adjust my components. I'm not about to order a rest from a catalog and try bolting it on and adjusting it myself. Anyone know of an archery shop in Southeast Michigan that carries this rest?

For that matter, independent archery shops seem to be disappearing from our landscape. I'm looking for a new one, and it looks like I have to drive at least 60 miles to find one.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you're in Novi, try out Shooters Service in Livonia(6mile and Middlebelt)....ask for Gary at the archery counter. I would order the arrow rest from Cabela's and then take it into the shop if you need it proffesionally installed and tuned. Good people there.
Using the Silent Solution, there is absolutely NO sound on the draw, none. I took a 6pt and a doe later in the year deep in the U.P. at 20 yards. It was DEAD quiet out that evening and they still never heard me draw....it is an amazing rest in my opinion.
Thank you guys for turnin me onto it!
Hunt

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Yep, I believe I am the one who started the silent solution craze here. There is nothing like it, and I have literally shot thousands upon thousands of shots. They really are quite easy to install and tune. Farmlegend, you should give it a try? <----<<<

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Guys;

Help me to understand this silent solution rest. It actually falls out of the way when you shoot. SO does that mean that you have to "re-cock" your rest aftr every shot. Now I'm not being skeptical I just would like to understand it a little more I may be interested in switching to it some time. I'm contemplating a new archery rig this spring.

·
Administrator
35,792 Posts
The loudest thing now after installing the Silent Solution is the sound of my clothes when I pull my bow back.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
No, it doesnt fall out of the way. There is a spring that will allow it to move downward when the arrow is released, but this design is for forgiveness. <----<<<

·
Registered
384 Posts
Joe-A;
Excelent! So this rest is spring loaded much like the dual prong style. Ok Now it has merit with me. I give her a shot my birthday fastly approaches and a new archery rig may be just the ticket.

------------------

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Silent solution rest is spring loaded similiar to a TM hunter. The prongs move out of the way in the same fashion the rollers on the silent rest does.
I am not satisfied with my equipment until I can hammer a nail with my arrows at 20 yds. I found the Silent Solution to be a MUCH more consistent shooting platform, and after a season of field testing I am FULLY satisfied.
You do not need to recock anything. Just load your arrows the same way as any other rest and shoot, then load another....nothing special at all...besides, you get much better feather clearence with the SS rest.
My advice is this....buy one and play with it, if you don't like it, return it....you never will tho.
Hunt

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
One other thing. If you want an overdraw they make the Arch Rival. Same rest, but comes with the overdraw. You can see them both at Cabelas on line. <----<<<

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went to Cabela’s last night and they only had the model with the overdraw on display. The display model they had in stock must have been old because it wasn’t even called the Silent Solution. I was impressed by the quality of the rest so I’m still interested in the non-overdraw model.

For you guys that already have this rest, does it become noisy when the temperature drops below 30 degrees? My TM hunter with Teflon works great until it gets cold so I’m wondering if this rest will do the same thing?

Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts