Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question relates to these new bows, I want to make sure I get this right.

When I was trying out the Quest yesterday I started looking at arrows. We put one of Easton's old graduated aluminum arrows on the bow and drew. 29" to the front of the riser.

Back in the day we left the arrow an inch longer than the riser for a non-cutaway riser, where there was no broadhead clearance.

If the riser was cutaway, we'd leave it about an inch longer than the rest so it ended about at the riser.

We'd also leave it about an inch in front ot the rest if there was an overdraw present. The lengths could be tightened up some if the guy was an experienced shooter. I usually cut mine to 1/2" in front of the rest.

So yesterday we determined 29" to the front of the riser and 28" to an inch the front of the rest. I would cut that arrow 28". The employee insisted it should be 29". I told him he was incorrect. He said something about "we don't do that anymmore."

Which is correct, and what does he mean 'we don't do that anymore"? Are people back to cutting their arrows to the front of the riser? What gives?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Depends an your comfort level, rest and your broadhead. In my case I use a 28" arrow with a 29" DL. I could go as short as 27" and still have 1" in front of the rest (good rule of thumb). If you are going to shoot a rage or similar design you have to remember that the blades protrude back behind the insert and this must be taken into consideration. Previously when the risers were not as cut out as they are now you needed 1" in front of the riser or you would draw the BH into your fingers.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
also, some guys do not like drawing a broadhead past the riser and over their hand. Hell I used a 6" overdraw for years with no issues. It is just that with today's cut out risers you can draw into the riser with a BH and not have to worry about riser clearance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. How are people cutting carbon arrows without a saw? Is there an alternative method? I'm thinking I might set the whole thing up myself and save the aggravation.

Sold my last saw a couple years ago. Figures, eh?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
With the invention of draw stops. The main concerns are gone. I cut them within 1/2-1/4". Mine are 27" and my dl is 28". High speed saw is a must.

Here fishy fishy..

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
With the invention of draw stops. The main concerns are gone. I cut them within 1/2-1/4". Mine are 27" and my dl is 28". High speed saw is a must.

Here fishy fishy..
The only issue I see with this is as I stated earlier if your BH extends past the insert you can run into clearance issues. Also when the string does eventually stretch and the DL increases you will crash as well, nice indicator though. Cutting carbon arrows w/out a high speed saw is a crap shoot in my opinion. I know guys use chop saws and dremels but I feel this compromises the run out at the tip. For carbon use the right saw, true the end up with an ASD type device and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
This is a GREAT thread... I was going to order some arrows online and just use them as I have never had a bow set up for me until now. The only other bows I have ever had was a PSE Sidewinder I bought from a buddy and just used it and this past season which was my first year bow hunting in about 7 years I just used my step dads Martin which was about 2 or 3 inches to short for me to shoot.

So now that I am going to take this really seriously I see I have much more to learn LOL. I wish I would have paid more attention to what my bow was set at. I will have to look at the book and see where my cams are set so I can be better help in getting the proper arrows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The big issue you should pay attention the grains per inch and spine. You need to make sure the arrow length you want wont effect your spine selection you have and that the arrows total weight will meet your bows minimum weight requirement so you dont "dry fire" the bow. You can have the arrow cut to 28 if you want just make sure it wint effect your setup, generally an inch eather way wont do much to effect it but you allways wanna make sure. Im still an inch longer kind if guy just cause i dont like the broadhead near my hand.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts