Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read the article about the statewide duck numbers in Arkansas being down by 50%? It said it was due to drought conditions but a 50% decrease is huge.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
hate to say it, but arkansas is complaining ALL the time. I've heard that some of the waterways are in drought condition there this year.....but if they have perfect conditions and perfect water.....They'd complain that northern states shot too many birds or we shot all teh canada population during the migration.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as SK . Seems like every year you hear the same thing out of Arkansas. Who knows, maybe they have a point.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have been to Arkansas for the past 5 years and the hunting there is good - no matter how much they complain. Last year we limited 3 days in a row with 5 guys.

It is time that they spend some time on decoys, placement, and other strategies. THey have had it to good for too long and now they are having to work for it. I don't want to listen to their whinning.

We had some of them up here to hunt in Shiawasee and they could not believe the work you had to do to shoot a few ducks.

A few years ago the pit we were hunting had the wrong wind for the way the decoys were set and the birds wouldn't do it. So we suggested changing the decoys and they (locals) just kinda looked at us like we were crazy.

If they did not leave 200 decoys around every pit every day for the entire season they would have less decoy shy birds and better hunting. Time to put a little work into their huting.

Just my .02

BR

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bullrush, Are you crazy? that is like tellin Michigans deer hunters they need to do some scouting and spend more time afield. LMAO

I have had people form out of state here and they look at us after a couple of days and usually all say the same thing, "Man, I can not believe you guys go through the stuff you do too shoot a couple of birds. If I had to work this hard for birds at home I would probably not bother duck hunting."

I have even had a guy tell me goose hunting with me was worse than his moose hunt as far as the work put into it. He said "At least at the end of the moose hunt I had a 1200 lb moose. At the end of this weekend I had 3 geese!"

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
ya you see posts in the arkansas forums where guys are debating about leaving decoys out all season......I'm like wow....you have to debate that? lol

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Let's call it the Law of Relativity-

for a guy in michigan that shoots 2 ducks in an outting and then suddenly gets 4 each day of a weekend... he had a banner hunt!

I've heard that when the boys in Louisianna say their season is a complete bust - that means that everyday, they only shot their one daily limit! :p

it's all relative! :lol:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Arkansas wildlife officials say the summer drought conditions have halved the state's duck population. According to the latest wildlife counts via aerial survey, the state's duck population this season is 289,589 ducks, compared to 558,380 during the same time last year; a decrease of 48 percent. Arkansas officials say the 5-year average for the December survey is 638,400 ducks. The Cache River Wildlife Management Area, hosts hunters each duck season. Cache River manager Dennis Widner said he usually has 400,000 to 800,000 mallards. Not this year.

"We just don't have the habitat," he says, "years like this, our ducks will keep flying to Louisiana. They'll keep flying until they find a habitat they need. I've pumped water where I have pumps and I can, but it's nothing compared to natural water."

Mike Checkett, waterfowl biologist with Ducks Unlimited in Memphis, Tenn., said cold weather in the northern United States seems to be pushing ducks south.

"Illinois just published a survey," he said. "They still had fair numbers of ducks up there but not near the number that were there a week ago."

Checkett said a recent cold front has had an effect.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree that their habitat is not where it usually is - - - BUT last year it was the warm weather, the year before it was that the government lied about the duck population, year before that it was the northern states killing all the birds . . . Branta hit it on the head - - it is all relative.

My contacts in Arkansas are having the best year since 1999. Last year Their club killed well over 1000 birds. there are 20 people in the club - 50 birds per person in a bad year - - I wouldn't whine about that.

But, I am not going to bash them too bad because I love to hunt down there.:)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
All I can say is I'm glad we work hard for smart birds. It make it gravy when you come across the dumb ones. :) I hunted some areas in ND that had 50 -80 times the birds in an area I'm used to having. I seen guys struggling out there don't get me wrong, but if you cut your teeth hunting Michigan birds you will be a better duck hunter in other areas. IMO

I think arkansas hunters have seen there "Golden Years" and anything less than that is a disappointment for them. Look at last season for us, I never heard so much complaining on this site about last years season. But look at this year, a better season for most. Its all part of the cycle. Although its hard for me to talk about AK since I haven't experienced it for myself so take what I said with a grain of salt... ;)

:lol: "We only have 300,000 birds this year, what a poor season" :lol: If that guy only knew that the areas WE hunt might have 20,000 in a refuge at its PEAK. What the hell would those guys do with those numbers......:lol: :lol: They would probably all quit duck hunting.

Kevlar

·
Registered
424 Posts
Now I listen to guys up here complaining cause they didn't see 20+ deer a day while hunting. We got spoiled on deer just like they did on ducks. Anything less is a hard pill to swallow.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Kevlar said:
All I can say is I'm glad we work hard for smart birds. It make it gravy when you come across the dumb ones. :) I hunted some areas in ND that had 50 -80 times the birds in an area I'm used to having. I seen guys struggling out there don't get me wrong, but if you cut your teeth hunting Michigan birds you will be a better duck hunter in other areas. IMO
Kevlar
Ya beat me to it Kev....I was gonna say the same thing. And what Branta said about it all being relative. As I told you before you went to ND this year, if you can successfully hunt ducks here in Michigan, a place like ND or Arkansas is gravy to us ;) I spend some time on the ND waterfowl forum, and even though they say they know how good they have it, they really don't. They whine when they don't limit out by 9am. The majority of the locals out there don't hunt ducks after the first week or two....they just don't want to work that hard. I'm sure that most of those guys would give up duck hunting if they had to hunt here. So yeah, it definitely is relative to what you're used to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bullrush said:
last year it was the warm weather, the year before it was that the government lied about the duck population, year before that it was the northern states killing all the birds
Exactly!

I've hunted down there 3 out of the last 6 years and had a total blast. I wish we had it so bad.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
just need to throw them through a season like we had last year. Everyday people posted "anybody kill any flight birds?" and nobody did. Season closes and the flights come through. They never woulda stomached it.

I've heard that when the boys in Louisianna say their season is a complete bust - that means that everyday, they only shot their one daily limit!
man, you ain't kiddin on that one. Them bayou folk are a different breed.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Kevlar said:
Kevlar
Is that what it was in ND?
Now that you say that it sure makes sense. We would sit in the cleaning station and listen to some of the "Southern" hunters complain aout only getting 3-4 birds, while we were cleaning a 4 person limit and talking about how we passed up smilies and buffies.
Maybe it was getting out early to make a good decoy set, or scouting spots for any wind that we might have in the morning. I don't know what it was for sure, but we did notice we did much better then them.
Something else I noticed was there dislike for CAMO, most of them hunted in plain Brown Carharts and brown waders. ? Don't get me wrong they were all great guys, very friendly and fun to BS with, just seemed to not want to work real hard for birds.
We gave them some good spots that we found and even offerd to take them with one morning, they turned us down(didn't want to get up when we did..:lol:).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
People in Ark continuously complain that habitat improvements in the south are a waste of money and more should be directed to the PPR. Now they complain of having to little habitat in Ark.

My last year living down in TN, there were serious concerns on how low the water table was getting due to crop irrigation and the obserd amount of fields flooded for hunting leases. It wouldnt surprise me in the next few years to see a ban on flooding fields strictly for hunting, there was talk of this in 02.

I think Ark duck numbers are now experiencing what S. Ill has gone through with their goose numbers. The glory days of past are over.

Ark duck hunters are worse then a bunch of old ladies complaining about their arthritis.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I will say one thing about folks in Arkansas - they are hospitable, friendly, crazy, all in all good people, and if they put more effort into it they would kill more birds - then we would have less to kill :lol:

And I would never trade what we have in Michigan here for what they have. We've got - Divers, Puddlers and Canada's, Cornfields, Marshes, flooded woods, flooded crop fields, dumb birds(sometimes), big water, layout, snow . . . They can never say, "look at all the blood on the snow!"

we got it good

BR

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have to say, I'm actually here in Arkansas, have been for the last three years (though MI native), the numbers are not down at all, maybe just distributed differently. Last year, we had way too much water (at least here in West-central AR), but this year, we have little water so its easy to figure out where the ducks are. I have to say that I'm doing pretty well for the season and am seeing 10 times more birds than I did at this time last year, but many of you are right, AR hunters are a bit spoiled, but mostly those in the eastern part of the state. "Rice field only" and "timber only" hunters expect to kill a limit of ducks each day, and when I say a limit, I mean mallards, many of them ignore other birds. Those of us closer to the mountains really do have to do a bit of work for the birds; same troubles as some of the rest of you - almost limited to public state land.
However, in response to some others, I have seen blood on the snow, and we have to break ice occassionally (did this morning!) - though its not as common as those of you in the Mitt.
But don't think you have it all bad, Black ducks are a rareity here, as are many of the beautiful divers that you get to shoot on the Bay.
That's my two cents.
NB

·
Registered
683 Posts
Funny thing . . . they only canvasback I ever shot was over a catfish pond in Arkansas when everything else was froze over. We (locals and us) worked for the birds that day and our toes paid the price.

BR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts