Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think it’s a crock of crap. My buddy and I were discussing this a couple weeks ago. All a camera does is let you know what’s passing by a given location at a moment in time. Doesn’t mean that animal will walk by there again.
States start outlawing game cams and there’s a whole bunch more jobs that’ll be lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Dumb. I could see the argument against cellular trail cams but this is silly.

Reactions: pgpn123

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I saw that many cameras on one tree I would look for another place to hunt.
But I wouldn't sign a petition to outlaw them.

Reactions: pgpn123

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My FIL lives in AZ...in talking with him, it sounds like there is a pretty high likelihood that they will be banned for hunting usage. Quite a few hunters out there seem to be against them, and he said since the articles have been in the papers, quite a bit of public backlash over them. Not sure why hunters would be against them...perhaps due to different styles of hunting in the West, like Spot and Stalk???

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Having never hunted Arizona I can't help think that there might be something different from Michigan such that the ban makes sense there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dumb. I could see the argument against cellular trail cams but this is silly.
I honestly think that cellular cameras shouldn't be allowed, but I don't really have as much of an issue with regular trail cameras (because you still have to actually go into the woods to check them). The problem with cell cams is that they allow someone the luxury of knowing what is going on in the woods at any given moment without having to go in and scout/ hunt. You can sit at home and not spook anything while you establish the deer's pattern then go in at the best time for the kill. I'm not saying its unethical or anything, but just like using a drone to scout a deer I do think it may be cheapening the experience of hunting. Too much technology is taking away the fun of learning and woodsmanship because people are too worried about shooting the buck they named two years ago and putting it on instagram for everyones approval.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My FIL lives in AZ...in talking with him, it sounds like there is a pretty high likelihood that they will be banned for hunting usage. Quite a few hunters out there seem to be against them, and he said since the articles have been in the papers, quite a bit of public backlash over them. Not sure why hunters would be against them...perhaps due to different styles of hunting in the West, like Spot and Stalk???

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I have heard from guys in Michigan that go out west on out-of-state hunts that non-residents will place cell cams and leave them out to pretty much scout for them since they live in another state. Maybe this is the issue and is rubbing residents the wrong way.

·
Registered
26,514 Posts
I honestly think that cellular cameras shouldn't be allowed, but I don't really have as much of an issue with regular trail cameras (because you still have to actually go into the woods to check them). The problem with cell cams is that they allow someone the luxury of knowing what is going on in the woods at any given moment without having to go in and scout/ hunt. You can sit at home and not spook anything while you establish the deer's pattern then go in at the best time for the kill. I'm not saying its unethical or anything, but just like using a drone to scout a deer I do think it may be cheapening the experience of hunting. Too much technology is taking away the fun of learning and woodsmanship because people are too worried about shooting the buck they named two years ago and putting it on instagram for everyones approval.
Prosecuting trespassers is a difficult thing. Having a cell camera that tells you exactly when they are there so you can catch them red handed is invaluable.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
My understanding from the article is that live cams were banned a couple of years ago.

Reactions: DM90

·
Registered
256 Posts
Prosecuting trespassers is a difficult thing. Having a cell camera that tells you exactly when they are there so you can catch them red handed is invaluable.
Oh I totally agree, I think they are an excellent tool for keeping an eye on your property. Maybe the better option would be to make them legal on private land only. I think the issue in Arizona probably comes down to out-of-state hunters using them to scout public land.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My understanding from the article is that live cams were banned a couple of years ago.
Interesting, not sure what the issue is then. Hard to say unless you live there and no the full story.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Arizona water holes with 40 cameras focused on them and a trail cam here and there in our Michigan woods and fields are Apples and Oranges IMO. I agree that the cell technology for live monitoring and then moving in for a kill in real time is beyond "Fair Chase", but I don't see regular trail cameras being a fair chase issue. They are great for scouting and helping us know who and what is actually out there but I don't think they are preventing deer and other wildlife from gaining access to food or water because they are out there.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I read a another article on this and the two major complaints were cameras being left out and unethical. There was some complaints about guys being territorial also.
While I have cameras and run them ( less and less) now a day's. I can see where cell cameras can be used unethicaly IMO. But majority won't be.
There is a well known big buck Hunter that uses multiple cell cameras on his land to watch and wait for certain bucks to bed in a area. Then he slips in to his pre hung stand and waits to arrow it. To me this crosses the line of being ethical but it must not to him.

·
Premium Member
12,759 Posts
I think they are kind'a like bait, if you don't use them you will have to scout old school.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Why the question about them in this years deer survey from the DNR? Get ready boys, it a coming!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I read a article on this and the two major complaints were cameras being left out and unethical. There was some complaints about guys being territorial also.
While I have cameras and run them ( less and less) now a day's. I can see where cell cameras can be used unethicaly IMO. But majority won't be.
There is a well known big buck Hunter that uses multiple cell cameras on his land to watch and wait for certain bucks to bed in a area. Then he slips in to his pre hung stand and waits to arrow it. To me this crosses the line of being ethical but it must not to him.
I agree. That sort of use totally cheapens the hunt IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,759 Posts
My thoughts on cameras if your using them on private land to maximize meat harvest fine. If your hunting for potential trophies electronic surveillance cheapens the experience.

Reactions: FREEPOP and DM90
1 - 20 of 101 Posts