Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to see pts till six today and have been dying to go ice fishing this whole week. I get out on friday at 2pm and have to go to two funerals. Sat I have to cover for a friend till 1pm and then go to a wedding! So my question is....will I have good ice on the saginaw river on sunday after all the rain? Please someone tell me the ice will still be solid! Am I just worrying too much? I have had some mixed luck on the river and am hoping for a really good day!

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Take a spud....That river drains a big watershed and can eat ice quick. It may not be too bad with temps in the 20's at night.. but alot of rain will mess it up quick.. Been there done that....Not a good place to go polor bear dippin...

·
Premium Member
29,817 Posts
difinately use spud. And stay away from old holes, the water from above and below eats them away alot further out than they look......Was at boys club in Bay City the other day, and ice was about 10". A few keepers were caught, and a couple nice ones lost(all this by others than me of course). Ice there might be still o.k., I know the ice at mouth of river holds up longer.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Down by the Z-bridge the ice has been spotty all year. 10 inches here move 10 ft and you have 4 inches. I think your best bet for ice conditions would be up in Saginaw the shipping channel does'nt go up that far. Over the years the bean tower area seems to always hold ice the longest.

Any question about it take your spud like mentioned before. I have seen people go thru week spots in the river before its not pretty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts