Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a topic I think about sometimes and wonder if I'm just selfish...Are you a guy that likes the tranquility of hunting alone or do you have to have someone with you to make it a trip? I guess it's not that big of a deal if you live on the property you hunt but for those of us who travel, do you need a co-pilot(s)? I have a Dad, 2 teenage sons, and some great hunting buddies that I have had countless memorable hunting trips out to our property every year and cherish every one of them...But for me, there is just something different about making a trip out to hunt where I make my own plan of attack on a nice early frosty quiet morning and then into the evening. I get to do this a few times a year because of my work schedule and its usually during the week and I love it...Anyone else a loner??

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Similar scenario to yours Sniper. Hunt infrequently behind the house, so most of the time we're driving to hunt. 90+% of the time at least one of the kids comes with me. And yes, I do strongly enjoy the handful of hunts each year where it's just me. Typically those occur the first week of November and then once or twice during firearm or muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hunting alone is awesome until you shoot something. Then its an instant P.I.T.A :lol:

I have actually passed deer when hunting myself because I just didnt want to work that hard
that day. I was like a bird watcher with a weapon, LOL

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
Yes, I actually prefer to hunt deer alone.

My issue is simply that when others are at our farm, I have to guide first and hunt second. Unless it's just dad there. But, when it's dad, he rules the roost!! I like the freedom of hunting our properties when I have the full run of the place. Selfish I guess but, when I have complete control on access, stands and no pressure to concern myself with my success goes WAY up.

My biggest bucks were killed when I had full run. Just sayin'.

Now, for waterfowling I like to have a guy or 2 along for the social aspects.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Always hunted alone but I plan on dragging my girlfriend out to the blind at least once this season.

·
Registered
36,011 Posts
When it comes to hunting I hunt on my own schedule, if it's convenient for someone else all the better. When my kids come to camp I tell my buddies to pack up and hit the motel. I'm very particular about who hunts my land but not who stays at camp. We have 6 million acres available for guys who are too busy to help with all the prep work that goes into a managed piece of land.

Reactions: ckosal

·
Banned
354 Posts
I have several leases with several different lease partners.
I make my plans and if any of them are there we work together.
I find most of them don't take the time off I do so I end up being alone most of the time.
Not a bad thing for the hunting aspect but it can get boring when the day is done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to hunt alone on occasion but much prefer to have someone to share the experience with.
My son almost always bow hunts with me. If he is busy, I usually have my wife or one of my daughters go with me. They all know how to use a climbing stand and all of us hunt rifle season.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My son rifle hunts with me here and in Wyoming. I bow hunt alone. I also fish alone 95% of the time. I guess it's part of getting old. All my old hunting and fishing buddies have given it up.

Mike

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Hunting by myself is preferred. I did a 9 day solo trip in Canada last year. Probably easier to say what hunts I did with someone around than without. I've been hunting with mama the last 2 years trying to get her first deer. Hopefully this is the year. Otherwise, I like the freedom to come and go. I'm not sure I could hang with a hunting partner who lives on Starbucks, Rock Star, Surge or smokes like a chimney.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I hunt public most of the time and its a lot of work scouting. Im always checking new areas and old for fresh sign. I have a lot of sets but they dont have nice bucks every year. It can be tough to put people in a good spot. Its really tough playing guide and trying to hunt well your self. I like hunting alone most of the time but it is nice to share your experiences with other people who are friends, family or loved ones. As I get older I value this more and more. I also like the idea of passing along the things I have learned.

I think it would be easier if I had got the big one under my belt all ready. The only reason I dont is my own fault. I have had many chances at some real nice bucks but for what ever reason have blown it. I tend to push a lot harder than most people I hunt with too. Deer season I tend to being a little more self centered. But having said that when I put some one in a spot I want them to get a deer or see deer or have a close heart throbbing encounter. Over the years some friends have been more into it then others. My wife loves deer hunting and I have been trying to get a deer under her belt for 6 years now. She has had some real close encounters but no deal yet. She only hunts with a bow. I have another buddy who has taken up archery and is really getting into hunting. Every year he seems to get into a little more. I think if one of them got a deer I would be more excited then they would be. :) I would be over the top excited for them. I know that feeling and there is nothing like that first deer.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
I prefer to hunt alone for many reasons the first being that I can concentrate more and do my own thing on a whim. However I wouldn't trade the hours I spend in the deer woods with my daughter teaching her to hunt for anything. Even in our north woods deer camp it's every man for himself until will all back in camp together or when someone needs a hand.

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
I pretty much hunt alone. I have one buddy that i do enjoy hunting with and like it when we go out together,I went to OHio with him last year. I was tied to his schedule but we had a blast. I miss the big camp atmosphere i had when i was a kid in the U.P with my family and friends. I would love to go to a big camp again.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
I hunt alone occasionally but not too far away that if I am successful I can't make a call for help. As I get older I get just as much enjoyment out of seeing others success as my own. Like mentioned already there is nothing like a good deer camp.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts