Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a talk at camp this weekend. When doing habitat improvements can you still create a water hole with the new bait law?

Most everyone at camp agreed yes you can but it was not 100%. Just looking to see if anyone knows not a big deal this minute we are just talking about plans for next season anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
I don't see water as food, which is what bait is.
Agree - There are no restrictions on water holes in the baiting ban language.

Reactions: TriggerDiscipline

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I guess I better not swim in my pond since the deer drink out of it!

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
DNR could not legally ban water holes.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
If you were in a wet land area and disturbing things too much, then maybe the deq may raise a stink for you. But no, a waterhole does not fit into a baiting issue.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you considering a water hole a small water tank 40 gal sunk into the ground?

Or are you talking about a hole dug in natural dirt nothing added to hold water but dirt?

I having a hard time thinking anything designed to attract deer that is man made is not considered a bait site.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Are you considering a water hole a small water tank 40 gal sunk into the ground?

Or are you talking about a hole dug in natural dirt nothing added to hold water but dirt?

I having a hard time thinking anything designed to attract deer that is man made is not considered a bait site.
Read the definition of bait in the 2019 digest and it wont he hard to believe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
18,260 Posts

It would be a very annoying enforcement.
Did someone deliberately spin a wheel and dig a trench in a high water table or clay site? Ect..
Yes , plastic ponds would be more obvious...
One summer , a doe (nursing ) used the bird bath.

The more water options , the more deer are dispersed to acquire it. In theory.
Can be more limited than browse in some areas....Requiring travel to more concentrated sources during drought.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The only down side to a water hole is if someone wanders into it and can't swim. Make sure you have an umbrella policy. #rhianna

1 - 20 of 26 Posts