Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you, If not all of you have read the warning sticker on the gas pumps while pumping. It is unlawful to....... Leave car running.
Maybe I see it the wrong way, but its pretty clear. Watched a cop full up this morning while keeping the car nice and warm:lol::lol: I just thought it was kinda funny.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Most of the warning postings are done by the legal department, of the gas stations. Mostly to limit/avoid liability in case your car blows up. Not so much of a law per se.

When I was in college, my Tbird had starter problems didn't dare shut it off in fear of it not starting again. Sure enouf' the bimbo clerk (rymes with jerk) comes running out opens my car door reaches in and shuts it off. Then gives me some extended verbage, about the "law" of leaving the car running while pumping gas. I had the last laugh when my car wouldn't start. The manager came out and told me to push the car out from the pump. Told him the clerk turned off my car she can push it. Took my time, read some home work blocked the pump for half an hour. Casually tried to start it every 5 minutes or so, never went back.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the warning postings are done by the legal department, of the gas stations. Mostly to limit/avoid liability in case your car blows up. Not so much of a law per se.

When I was in college, my Tbird had starter problems didn't dare shut it off in fear of it not starting again. Sure enouf' the bimbo clerk (rymes with jerk) comes running out opens my car door reaches in and shuts it off. Then gives me some extended verbage, about the "law" of leaving the car running while pumping gas. I had the last laugh when my car wouldn't start. The manager came out and told me to push the car out from the pump. Told him the clerk turned off my car she can push it. Took my time, read some home work blocked the pump for half an hour. Casually tried to start it every 5 minutes or so, never went back.
I figured that was the case, wasn't sure. That is some funny stuff right there though:lol::lol: Any response from the clerk or manager afterward?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Two week's ago on 12 mile a Novi cop was posted up at the Speedway giving out ticket's just for that. Thing was he wasn't hiding, he was parked right in the open and people were still doing it.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
i got a ticket for having tinted windows on my drivers side ,because a rookie cop wanted to see if I had alcohol in my vehicle.I had a closed 12 pack in the bed of my pickup he saw when i stopped to make a right turn. I not only got out of the ticket (just ask),but discovered that the police are almost all in violation of the law. so are about 20-40 percent of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
how many of us do you think would get a ticket for pecking away at the keyboard on the laptop while driving down the road, or passing on the shoulder ..or...or ...or

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It may or may not be law but in actuality there is no real reason as far as safety goes to not leave your car running when filling up.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
I am not old enough to remember this. But I remember stories I have been told by people older then me.

They would be smoking a ciggeratte, car running, and they would be filling the car up with fuel. Now if they didn't get blown up.

I see no safety reason not to leave the car running when you fill up.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
What's far more dangerous is to start the pump and then go back inside your vehicle waiting for the pump to stop. The % for a static electrical charge is greatly enhanced by doing so and if you ever seen a pump catch fire it ain't pretty. A local gas station has a picture posted of this very incident and the results, its an ugly story.......AND how much the person had to pay, sorry insurance does NOT cover this.......

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
As posted, I never went back.

I remember one of my teachers Jr high? Talking about the early days of "auto travel" that the auto manufactors, and the gas station pump manufactors actually had conflicting, materials/alloys being used. The gas nozzle and the insert pipe to the gas tank would sometimes spark when the driver tried to fill up.

Speaking of warning stickers on gas pumps, what is with the cell phone warning?? My understanding that yes the cell phone creates a spark, it is inside the cell phone though. In order to expose the spark, the cover must be off the phone. To take the cover off the phone, one must remove the battery. With out the battery, the phone is incapable of operating and creating a spark. ?? :confused:

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Mythbusters have done all the gas station myth's,,, cell phones, static charges, etc... They tried every concievable way try and get an explosion, under normal and somewhat abnormal circumstances,,, they didn't get any explosions.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I believe there is an obscure state law regarding filling up while your car is running. I believe it's an administrative law enforceable by a fire marshall. I believe it's pursued as often as the offense of adultry (is still on the books.) Various city ord's, I can't comment on.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mythbusters have done all the gas station myth's,,, cell phones, static charges, etc... They tried every concievable way try and get an explosion, under normal and somewhat abnormal circumstances,,, they didn't get any explosions.
Good thing, they would have had to have someone else give the results:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts