Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are some real bright archers on this site, so i hope to get a little help?
I am looking to get my dad a bow this year for his birthday. He is going to be 60, and the only bow hunting he did was about 40 years ago in africa. He has a bad right shoulder so that will limit how much he can draw without hurting himself. He loves to deer hunt come the 15th, but i think he would enjoy getting out in october and actually see a deer that isnt running for its life.
That said, i am thinking if he can draw 45-50 #'s and limit his range to at TOP 20 yards, then he shouldnt have any problems. My question is this. I dont want to spend a lot of money as i dont really have much to spend. I have been checking ebay, but the selection is rather large when i dont specify a model. I dont have a great idea of what a good beginning bow would be. I dont want to get a youth bow, and i dont want to sacrifice performance on a poorly made model. The only "beginning"bow i have any knowledge of is the NOVA from PSE.
I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions any of you have. Thanks

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would try to find a good used bow that can be set at a lower #limit. I don't know what area of the state you live in but Bobs' G&T in Hastings or Jays' in Clare have a good selection of used bows.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
the nova is a good entry level bow. you might also want to look at the typhoon by pse. it sells for only 299.99. it uses the lightning 3 single cam and has a axle to axle of only 33" woth a 7 3/4 " brace height.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the same problem, 57 yo/ bad right shoulder. I got an Alpine Micro, it only goes to 40# and I can still get a 29" draw length. Got 2 deer this year with it. Also, had it for 2mos. before the season, and lots of practice it fixed my shoulder. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am planing to head over to Bob's G&T soon....from Lake-O. But i am definatly leaning towards a used bow, as i dont know the dedication my Dad will have.
I also hope that it could help my Dads shoulder out like it did yours :) That would probably be a better present.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Having a bad right shoulder and elbow myself, I bought a PSE Nova a few years back, it enabled me to keep shooting, and with 75% let-off, its less wear on the shoulder, even at the higher draw wieghts.. I shoot 55 lbs, and holding it feels like 20

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would have to say the pse nova is a great bow for something like this. u can find used ones really cheap. prob in the 100 to 150 range. i know someone that might be selling one. if u get the chance pm and i can let u know if they still have it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also depending on the severity of the shoulder problem could he be issued a handicapped hunting permit?

If his impairment is strong enough he could get handicapped status for it and use a crossbow.

Don't think crossbows are the see-all rifle replacement as they are definately not. Ranges are very limited up to around the 40 yard range. After that they drop enough Kinetic energy that they do not penetrate enough to kill.

A friend of mine in Gladwin has been listed as handicapped because of carpal-tunnel syndrome. He uses a crossbow and I can say for fact they are actually a bit harder to hunt with as the person cannot make a quick second shot if needed.

He has hunted for 33 years and took his first deer with us 7 years ago with a crossbow. He had tried to shoot one at 30 yards and missed as the deer had jumped the shot. The one he did take was taken at 15 yards.

Crossbows are much noisier than any bow out there so noise is a definate factor in the distance you can take a shot at.

You may want to look into the handicapped status.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
My first bow was a nova, and is laying in the basement, and I'm not using it. Maybe your father could use it. I dot know the draw length maybe 26? I'm not sure, it only needs a new string and maybe a tune up from a shop, or have them look at it. I'm not using this bow any longer since i bought my new one, but last year I killed 2 bucks with this bow, the max draw weight is 50lbs. pm me back if interested, I live near portland, so getting it to you shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sent a pm, but mail box was full.

Also, about the handy cap issue. it has crossed my mind, but his shoulder isnt disabled. Its from many years of trap shooting, hard work, and injuring it about 10 years ago.

Also, as long as this is up. I am thinking about going to a drop away rest. I have used the TM hunter rest for about 10 years now, and the current one i have is worn out. Anyone use one of these? or know about the accuracy with one?

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Drop away's are great. They can improve your accuracy and they simplify to some extent bow tuning. I have a Trophy Taker, but there are a number of good models available.

That Nova sounds like a good idea if it will fit him. I know Bobs in Hastings has a Browning Rage package bow, new for $300. Includes everything necessary except a release. I think it is rated for 30# -50# and fully adjustable for draw length. Looked at one for my stepfater....similiar needs as your father. Nice little set up. He ended up with a Hoyt Sierratec that maxes out at 40#. It was more than he wanted to spend but after shooting it and comparing with others in the price range he wanted, he decided it was worth the extra money.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I would ring in for the nova as well. I bought a kit for my brother in law when he was 12 and he has shot it for 2 years. To tell you the truth he shoots as good with it as I do with my mathews. Especially when we shoot for dollars. :)
ITs a great bow comes in a kit with everything you need for 200 or so from what I remember. The speed is actually very impressive out of it as well.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I deleted some stuff so you can send that pm if you want

1 - 14 of 14 Posts