Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't partake in the apr debates but I'm all for it and I really hope it passes. Yesterday a guy shows up from 3 properties over and says his buck died on the other side of the creek. Yup he trespassed on my property, its posted. I ask how big, its big he says. Where u hit it, low he says, white hair, but good blood. What time you shoot it, about 8 then maybe 7:30 he says, don't know if it was the tall one it was foggy, hmm.:confused: So I kick it up and its shot in the shoulder and its a yearling 6 pt roughly. Then he tells me he shot it in the front chest, :( from a treestand. He said it came into a scrape and don't know how big it is or how many pts it has. Hmm I'm pretty sure he didn't shoot it at 8 more like 7 in the dark. The deer didn't cross the creek he stayed in my couple acre hingecut and bedded down, glad he didn't cross the creek and stomp the rest of my property because he is a slob hunter that takes bad shots and shoots unidentified targets in the dark, hes in his 50's. The short out of shape hunter says it sure would be a lot easier walking if all these trees weren't down. Still shaking my head.

So would the slob hunter took the poor shot in the dark still with apr's in effect, I would like to think not. I appreciate all the work you guys are doing to get this to pass, Thanks. D

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
I don't partake in the apr debates but I'm all for it and I really hope it passes. Yesterday a guy shows up from 3 properties over and says his buck died on the other side of the creek. Yup he trespassed on my property, its posted. I ask how big, its big he says. Where u hit it, low he says, white hair, but good blood. What time you shoot it, about 8 then maybe 7:30 he says, don't know if it was the tall one it was foggy, hmm.:confused: So I kick it up and its shot in the shoulder and its a yearling 6 pt roughly. Then he tells me he shot it in the front chest, :( from a treestand. He said it came into a scrape and don't know how big it is or how many pts it has. Hmm I'm pretty sure he didn't shoot it at 8 more like 7 in the dark. The deer didn't cross the creek he stayed in my couple acre hingecut and bedded down, glad he didn't cross the creek and stomp the rest of my property because he is a slob hunter that takes bad shots and shoots unidentified targets in the dark, hes in his 50's. The short out of shape hunter says it sure would be a lot easier walking if all these trees weren't down. Still shaking my head.

So would the slob hunter took the poor shot in the dark still with apr's in effect, I would like to think not. I appreciate all the work you guys are doing to get this to pass, Thanks. D
Thanks whitetail;

Hunter safety was a major driver for the 1921 proposal to limit deer harvest to bucks with at least 3 inches of antlers. At the time there were very few deer, and you could shot anything, so hunters were spraying away and a surprising number of hunters were dying.

Now with the advent of hunter orange, hunter safety courses, etc., it is a lot safer for humans in the woods.

I think APRs will lead to a new era of heightened awareness about careful, humane shot placement. No more spraying away at deer just because they have antlers. Hopefully we will see fewer unrecovered deer.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My own experience in hunting areas with APR(s) is that I definitely have alot more restraint before pulling the trigger. You have to make sure it qualifies for the restrictions but more importantly it forces you to make a conscious decesion to take that animal. The second part to that may be due to I'm older and a little more picky.

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
I don't think APRs will help with a slob like that. He thought it was a big buck and turned out being a little 6pt. Sucks having hunters like that around.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Freak ...... You just entered the APR debate. :)

I would argue that APR's won't make one bit of difference in safety. What about the guy that will forego safety upon seeing the biggest buck of his life???

I would also guess that some hunters will shoot and then leave non legal bucks in the woods...or sneak them out under cover of darkness.

Safe hunters will be safe hunters....and the converse is also
true.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

For some they would be more cautious, others wouldn't think twice about it and shoot a small one and as said leave it or just sneak it out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree 100% that it will have a positive overall effect when it comes to unfortunate stories like these. Of course you'll always have the hunters who will shoot first and ask questions later. However, I tend to think that most people in the woods are at least somewhat responsible and will take the time to properly identify their target before pulling the trigger. It will make for better hunters.

It just seems sad that a gentleman in his 50s is behaving in that manner and taking bad shots on deer, let alone a small 6pt. It's one thing to want to shoot them at that stage in life, to each their own, but saying it's huge, etc tells me exactly the kind of guy you're dealing with.

Good luck this season!

MD59

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks whitetail;

Hunter safety was a major driver for the 1921 proposal to limit deer harvest to bucks with at least 3 inches of antlers. At the time there were very few deer, and you could shot anything, so hunters were spraying away and a surprising number of hunters were dying.

Now with the advent of hunter orange, hunter safety courses, etc., it is a lot safer for humans in the woods.

I think APRs will lead to a new era of heightened awareness about careful, humane shot placement. No more spraying away at deer just because they have antlers. Hopefully we will see fewer unrecovered deer.
I believe you are right Bio, a lot of positive things.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think APRs will help with a slob like that. He thought it was a big buck and turned out being a little 6pt. Sucks having hunters like that around.
He was a nice guy, didn't steal my deer camera. Did trespass though. Maybe we can get along, we shall see.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freak ...... You just entered the APR debate. :)

I would argue that APR's won't make one bit of difference in safety. What about the guy that will forego safety upon seeing the biggest buck of his life???

I would also guess that some hunters will shoot and then leave non legal bucks in the woods...or sneak them out under cover of darkness.

Safe hunters will be safe hunters....and the converse is also
true.
I would assume there will be a few shot, left and snuck out, but that will get old you would think. Might take a yr or two too weed through the scum. I see positive things coming. I got the day off from work so only today for apr debating. You fellows do a great job.:lol:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree 100% that it will have a positive overall effect when it comes to unfortunate stories like these. Of course you'll always have the hunters who will shoot first and ask questions later. However, I tend to think that most people in the woods are at least somewhat responsible and will take the time to properly identify their target before pulling the trigger. It will make for better hunters.

It just seems sad that a gentleman in his 50s is behaving in that manner and taking bad shots on deer, let alone a small 6pt. It's one thing to want to shoot them at that stage in life, to each their own, but saying it's huge, etc tells me exactly the kind of guy you're dealing with.

Good luck this season!

MD59
I wasn't overly impressed with his ethics in any way shape or form, but I would rather get along and hopefully he learned something out of this.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm with you Ray, peace on earth and good will to all men, after MAPRs. Are you guys serious? do you think aprs will make men better? One of these "Slob Hunters" sees the big 10 point across the way and he will think to himself, I should restrain myself and hope he makes his way toward me instead of taking a really long shot, which I think I can draw blood with right now. (Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, and Bang). Reality!!!!!! might have to outlaw the autoloader next.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'm with you Ray, peace on earth and good will to all men, after MAPRs. Are you guys serious? do you think aprs will make men better? One of these "Slob Hunters" sees the big 10 point across the way and he will think to himself, I should restrain myself and hope he makes his way toward me instead of taking a really long shot, which I think I can draw blood with right now. (Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, and Bang). Reality!!!!!! might have to outlaw the autoloader next.
Funny you mention that Ohio only allows three shell capacity in their firearms for deer season.

·
Registered
13 Posts

This isn't even remotely close to being on topic. Go back to bed.

MD59

·
Premium Member
30,792 Posts
I'm with you Ray, peace on earth and good will to all men, after MAPRs. Are you guys serious? do you think aprs will make men better?
One of these "Slob Hunters" sees the big 10 point across the way and he will think to himself, I should restrain myself and hope he makes his way toward me instead of taking a really long shot, which I think I can draw blood with right now. (Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, and Bang). Reality!!!!!! might have to outlaw the autoloader next.
Get reel! :lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
30,792 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.