Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Would you support Antler Point Restrictions if Youth Hunters were given the abilit

• Yes

Votes: 169 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 110 39.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Anyone below age 18 should be allowed to opt out of APR's, at least for a trial perioid, since strong youth recruitment is possibly our most pressing issue.

If an adult made a mistake a killed a spike, the adult wouldn't be stressed to where not hunting anymore seemed viable. But a 14 year old is another story.

Give every youth a free antlerless tag good for most the the LP while you're at it.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
That seems reasonable enough. Make the exemption for the youth hunt only. All the more reason for adults to take kids out then, which is the purpose of those special dates.

Enforcement would also be easier/better because only kids can be out in September. Come Oct.1, everyone is the same on APR's.

Good idea.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
The more I think of it, Munster's thought is so good, so easy and so simple (remember KISS for rules-"keep it simple, stupid"), for both hunters and law enforcement, that the workgroup could about wrap this particular issue up and call it good, in my opinion.
As mentioned, the age for youths is another topic and frankly keeping the current youth age is fine.
But his idea could easily put this issue in the "done" column.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I was under the assumption youths had to follow APR's in the youth hunt. Although I could be mistaken. A youth can take an antlerless deer, but I can't seem to find where APR's are waived for antlerled bucks.

Here's what I found online. Please post other regs if they exempt the youth hunt from APR's.

Antler Restriction Regulations

The table below shows the antler restrictions required with specific deer licenses by area or Deer Management Unit (DMU).

Exceptions: An archery license or combination license, when used during the archery season, is valid for taking an antlerless deer. A hunter participating in the two-day youth and 100 percent disabled veteran hunt may use a firearm or combination license to take an antlerless deer. A hunter with a firearm or combination license in DMU 487 may take an antlerless deer during the firearm or muzzleloading season. If you are going to hunt deer in the Upper Peninsula or DMU 487, see Upper Peninsula and DMU 487 Buck Hunting Regulations.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-194008--,00.html

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I'm fine with a youth exemption either way, but exempting just the September youth hunt only seems to be the best and easiest option.

On a side note not yet addressed, I strongly think the short disabled "firearms" hunt in October should also be exempt from APR's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.