Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Would you support Antler Point Restrictions if Youth Hunters were given the abilit

• Yes

Votes: 169 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 110 39.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
  • Would you support Antler Point Restrictions if youth hunters were given the ability to harvest any buck with 3" antlers or more?

Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

·
Registered
14,261 Posts
Sure wouldn't want some kid who hasn't put in as much time and money shooting all the big bucks. I say kids should be required to put in 150 hours of habitat work and scouting work before they are allowed to purchase a licence. It could be set up through the state or forest service and put kids to work improving state land.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I'm somewhat ambivalent. We have a special youth season, which I support, but now we need to lower the bar on targets, too? It's called hunting and not killing, teens can learn just as easily as anyone that there aren't guarantees to all things in life.

I can easily see the argument that making things easier for a generation turns them into entitled adults, seen it in many aspects of society.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think it's dumb to create separate rules for youth hunters. I learned alongside everyone else with the same rules. It took me 2 full seasons to harvest my first deer. The effort it took to reach that made the harvest so much more meaningful.

That said, I support APRs, so I voted yes despite my comments above. Something is better than nothing.

(If I had a choice between supporting OBR or APR, I'd choose OBR though).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I get so tired of reading about people whining about the youth killing all there big bucks.

I hate to tell ya it aint happening I hunted the youth hunt this year and i can tell i heard 2 shots and both came from my kids taking does

If you think this is some trophy hunt that is not the case. sure a few kids kill a dandy but 99% of those kids are hunting private land that they would kill a big one regardless of season due to quality of land

99% of kids are not waitin for a trophy there gonna shot the first deer they see

Those of us that are old enough could shoot 4 bucks when we were kids sure had to wait till season started . I gurantee there were less and much smaller bucks back then because if it had horns it was dead period no matter what part of the state it was.

Get over it there just deer and if this is what it takes to keep kids interested so be it.

I would guess most that dont like this havent had kids of there own and im sure when they do there perspective will change.

The facts are there are not enough youth hunters to make a difference in the herd less than 1% of the deer are taken during the youth hunt;)

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
Anyone below age 18 should be allowed to opt out of APR's, at least for a trial perioid, since strong youth recruitment is possibly our most pressing issue.

If an adult made a mistake a killed a spike, the adult wouldn't be stressed to where not hunting anymore seemed viable. But a 14 year old is another story.

Give every youth a free antlerless tag good for most the the LP while you're at it.

·
Banned
19,600 Posts
Currently, youth are exempted from APR's during the youth season but have to honor them during the regular seasons. Youth also can purchase an over-the-counter antlerless permit, even in DMU's where antlerless permits are done by lottery. This seems to me like a reasonable compromise, let youth shoot any sized buck during the youth season and guarantee them the opportunity to harvest a doe with a firearm if they want to. I would be open to tweaking the definition of "youth" slightly, like maybe just 14 and under but that fodder for another discussion.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
That seems reasonable enough. Make the exemption for the youth hunt only. All the more reason for adults to take kids out then, which is the purpose of those special dates.

Enforcement would also be easier/better because only kids can be out in September. Come Oct.1, everyone is the same on APR's.

Good idea.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
The more I think of it, Munster's thought is so good, so easy and so simple (remember KISS for rules-"keep it simple, stupid"), for both hunters and law enforcement, that the workgroup could about wrap this particular issue up and call it good, in my opinion.
As mentioned, the age for youths is another topic and frankly keeping the current youth age is fine.
But his idea could easily put this issue in the "done" column.

·
Banned
19,600 Posts
Not my idea Bob, it's currently the status quo. Not sure if the work group will address the youth issue, it's not one of the current discussion topics but might get addressed later.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It would be fine if it was really the youths pulling the trigger, to many people use this as another season.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This question should be worded different, I support APR's either way, but prefer that the youth hunters would have to follow the same restrictions as everyone else. They will still get the first crack at the best bucks for what is it, 4 or 6 years, whatever that's plenty of advantage. The youth hunters seem to do just fine in DMU 045 here.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Currently, youth are exempted from APR's during the youth season but have to honor them during the regular seasons. Youth also can purchase an over-the-counter antlerless permit, even in DMU's where antlerless permits are done by lottery. This seems to me like a reasonable compromise, let youth shoot any sized buck during the youth season and guarantee them the opportunity to harvest a doe with a firearm if they want to. I would be open to tweaking the definition of "youth" slightly, like maybe just 14 and under but that fodder for another discussion.

Munster,

Correct me if I wrong, as I know you will:lol:. But, the last I heard, youths were subject to the same APR's as everyone else durring both seasons. I thought the confusion about the youth hunt and restrictions was straightened out, and the DNR stated that the 2010 guide was misprinted. That is what the last newspaper article(Enterprise had stated).

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
I was under the assumption youths had to follow APR's in the youth hunt. Although I could be mistaken. A youth can take an antlerless deer, but I can't seem to find where APR's are waived for antlerled bucks.

Here's what I found online. Please post other regs if they exempt the youth hunt from APR's.

Antler Restriction Regulations

The table below shows the antler restrictions required with specific deer licenses by area or Deer Management Unit (DMU).

Exceptions: An archery license or combination license, when used during the archery season, is valid for taking an antlerless deer. A hunter participating in the two-day youth and 100 percent disabled veteran hunt may use a firearm or combination license to take an antlerless deer. A hunter with a firearm or combination license in DMU 487 may take an antlerless deer during the firearm or muzzleloading season. If you are going to hunt deer in the Upper Peninsula or DMU 487, see Upper Peninsula and DMU 487 Buck Hunting Regulations.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-194008--,00.html

·
Banned
19,600 Posts
Munster,

Correct me if I wrong, as I know you will:lol:. But, the last I heard, youths were subject to the same APR's as everyone else during both seasons. I thought the confusion about the youth hunt and restrictions was straightened out, and the DNR stated that the 2010 guide was misprinted. That is what the last newspaper article(Enterprise had stated).
You may be right, I don't read the Enterprise very often. I do know that per the 2010 guide it stated that APR's did not apply during the youth season. I know that exemption was specifically put into place due to the imposition of APR's in the TB area but it did not qualify it to just that area. I''ll check with Mason or Rudolph next time I talk to them and get some clarification.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
I'm fine with a youth exemption either way, but exempting just the September youth hunt only seems to be the best and easiest option.

On a side note not yet addressed, I strongly think the short disabled "firearms" hunt in October should also be exempt from APR's.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

Guys, these poll are not for discussions amongst yourselves, take those discussions back to the main forums. Please direct you comments toward the workgroup only and save me a lot of time deleting posts.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.