Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
It's amazing to see the change that has taken place this year with the number of nice bucks. Hopefully others like yourself are seeing the benefits of this program and we can keep it going after the 5 year trial. Write the NRC and let them know how you feel. The opposition is very good at this.

Nice group of bucks by the way. good luck this fall.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Great pics!...It's pretty basic stuff..If you don't shoot them when there young, they have a chance to get older. The older they get, the more reclusive, mysterious, smarter and in turn, a lot more challenging and satisfying to hunt.....Good luck this season

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm going to reserve my vote until after this season closes. It does look prromising. I didn't photo the usual amount of spikes and forks??? Where are they ??
Why? Now would be the best time to see if APRs are working or not. Zero hunting pressure, bachelor groups traveling together; what other factors could you ask for to gauge gauge the true quality of the local buck population.

Now, the hunter who hunts every weekend, rides his quad within 100 yards of his stand and walks through the wide open woods to get there and blames APRs for not seeing a deer? Is it the APRs fault or his? Now is the most accurate time to determine whether or not APRs work and obviously they do.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
APRs working? The jury is still out. A few pictures don't tell us much just as a few guys shooting larger bucks don't tell us much. Most of the opposition wasn't that APRs wouldn't lead to older bucks but was against the process.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A guy at work has land in lake county and was saying he's never seen so many nice bucks on trail camera as he has this year. He showed me a picture of a 125" ten point, biggest ever seen or on camera in 20 years hunting that property.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
APRs working? The jury is still out. A few pictures don't tell us much just as a few guys shooting larger bucks don't tell us much. Most of the opposition wasn't that APRs wouldn't lead to older bucks but was against the process.
Statewide the DNR harvest reports over the last several years show a noticeable decline in buck harvest. Public land success is horrendous. If anyone is interested and gets a chance read those reports. There is alot of telling information in there.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
I agree it was the whole process that didn't sit well with most folks. But once they start seeing more older bucks maybe they will have a change of heart. I know being a strictly public land Hunter Pickens can be slim on bucks and we usually killed the first buck that came by. But I have learned over the last few years not to worry about if I let it go someone else will kill it. If it happens , it happens. I still hunt for the love of it .

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just look at Pennsylvania for an example of how well and how fast a state can go from "Scrub Buck" capital to a real antler producer post an APR set.

Not for everyone, I totally get the pushback and all the bla bla bla that comes with it but... It the questions is: Does it work? The answer is a definitive YES

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Based on what the PGC's own data shows, statewide APR use in Pennsylvania has not lived up to claims nor expectations. Even though PA hunters still support APR's, the last two PGC's hunter harvest surveys (Published in 2012 and 2015) clearly show hunter dissatisfaction for what they see (conflicted). PA has been under APR's for a long time.....since 2001 I think it is, so it's a mature program. It has been discussed here on MS numerous times. Even with the long term use of APR's, why is there still major dissatisfaction across the state in the number of buck and doe sightings and low harvest numbers? No...PA is not a good example of APR's success nor game management. In fact, like Mississippi, in my opinion PA is an example of why APR's do not work well for everyone, especially statewide.

PGC's 2012 survey
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=566312&mode=2

PGC's 2015 Survey
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...unter_survey_-_report_-_statewide_results_pdf

Here is a good article in March's D&DH magazine by Keith McCaffery, a retired wildlife research biologist from Wisconsin. He gives the goods and bads of APR's. His "Parting Shot" captures the reality of what many hunters, mainly public land hunters, see.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/a...ions-deer-hunting?et_mid=737252&rid=235673118

Parting Shot

ARs seem to have popular appeal because, like the “buck law” of earlier times, the restrictions seem to make sense. However, the consequences of imposing ARs have not been fully appreciated by many people. Very simply, you cannot produce more old bucks by targeting older bucks. That, too, should make good sense.

Years of experience and research in Western states has shown that ARs, when mandated for public hunting, do not result in more deer or larger-antlered deer. Can we expect different results in Eastern states?

I always encourage everyone to do their own independent research and DO NOT listen to what I say or other talking heads and parrots say here on MS. There is alot of APR data and reports out there to look at. Do the research and then form an opinion either way.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's working for our camp. 13 bucks total. 10 on state land. I got two 7pts. I have two nice 8's and a bunch of "legal" bucks. One 8pt is 3.5 and is on the hit list on state land. Apr's is working. The potential I believe will be limited, but it's sure 1000x better than where we were.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
It's working for us in Hubbard lake and alpena We have harvested 5 deer in the 125 to 135 class in 4yrs.We had pictures of good bucks but the ones we harvested we never seen before I have also noticed a lot of quality bucks on the state land while grouse hunting. One was a monster in the devils lake area.all of our deer were taken from Nov 18 to Thanksgiving when things settle down these older reef seem to be wiser than the the little Buck's. Here's a picture 28 yrs of hunting and finally got some nice ones

Attachments

1 - 20 of 84 Posts