Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
OnX is by far the best mapping app but to my knowledge, it's not possible to share map data same with BaseMap. I use HuntStand only because of the sharing feature.
OnX does have a feature where you can share waypoints, is this what you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
OnX is OK, but I haven't figured out a great way to mark waypoints unless I am trying to mark where I am standing, especially if I want to enter specific coordinates. Perhaps I am missing something? I do like it for the property lines, though.

For navigational purposes I much prefer MotionX.
One thing I noticed with my onx anyways is when trying to mark my location with a waypoint its not accurate at all, (I mean way off track). Instead of using the mark my location feature, I do a waypoint and put it directly over the blue dot, Don't know why but its much more accurate that way. Another thing I don't care fore is when labeling my waypoint pins the name of waypoint doesn't show up until I click on the pin, I have a lot of pins on my hunt area maps and I have to pull up each pin to find out what I named it.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Interesting. I cant find some of my stands in the afternoon daylight no problem. Its the walking out at night in the dark that gets a little confusing sometimes. Recording the path I walk to my stand definitely could be useful coming out at night. Thanks for the info.
Just make sure you download a map before you use it in case service is unavailable.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Onx has a huge convenience factor but I wish the platform had caltopo quality topos and google earth quality imagery. The total package of their product makes it a must have, but they certainly have room for improvement.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Try Topo Maps+ with the hunting package. I think it’s probably the best so far. For me anyways. Everyone has Their individual Needs and expectations for an app. I still use 3-5 apps when scouting/planning hunts. But I don’t have my own land and hunt several states.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been using Huntstand this season. I like that they use google maps imagery, so I can zoom in really close if needed and still have a pretty clear image. They also have topo maps, contour maps, waterway maps, other satellite maps, etc. Property lines, HAP lands, and public hunting land maps are all there too. I can enter waypoints by selecting the point on the map, entering coordinates, or marking my location. With the subscription, which I think is $25 or $30 for the year and covers the entire country, I can also download maps for no service situations.

It also has weather details too, so you can see the weather for your hunt area and also the predominant wind direction the days you're looking to hunt and for specific stands you want to hunt. I like that when I mark a sighting or a harvest, it records the weather, moon phase, and time and all that, so if you wanted to look at historical trends you could.

I thought about Onx, but the map quality and the pricing model drove me away. The only issue I've had with huntstand, is that the GPS is a little slow. It takes a moment to locate you, and when recording your path, it might take a few moments before it updates and shows it. The waypoints seem pretty accurate, I was able to find an exact spot based on my waypoint this season.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I've been using Huntstand this season. I like that they use google maps imagery, so I can zoom in really close if needed and still have a pretty clear image. They also have topo maps, contour maps, waterway maps, other satellite maps, etc. Property lines, HAP lands, and public hunting land maps are all there too. I can enter waypoints by selecting the point on the map, entering coordinates, or marking my location. With the subscription, which I think is $25 or $30 for the year and covers the entire country, I can also download maps for no service situations.

It also has weather details too, so you can see the weather for your hunt area and also the predominant wind direction the days you're looking to hunt and for specific stands you want to hunt. I like that when I mark a sighting or a harvest, it records the weather, moon phase, and time and all that, so if you wanted to look at historical trends you could.

I thought about Onx, but the map quality and the pricing model drove me away. The only issue I've had with huntstand, is that the GPS is a little slow. It takes a moment to locate you, and when recording your path, it might take a few moments before it updates and shows it. The waypoints seem pretty accurate, I was able to find an exact spot based on my waypoint this season.
After reading your helpful post I went to download huntstand. It appears I used to have it?? I guess I’ll play with it once again. Just what I need, another map app:bonk:

·
Registered
69 Posts
After reading your helpful post I went to download huntstand. It appears I used to have it?? I guess I’ll play with it once again. Just what I need, another map app:bonk:
A lot is offered in the free version, I was even able to access the property info before I paid for it. I wanted to be able to download the map, which was mainly why I ended up subscribing for a year. So far so good.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts