Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
OnX and HuntStand sometimes. Problem with OnX in my county is that lot lines and property owners are not available.

Reactions: FullQuiver

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I’m a technological dummy for the most part and don’t use any of these but I might if I knew what they do or are for. Can someone explain Onx to me. Heard lots of good stuff about it

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
All of the above for hunting. Although I like the apps for hiking/biking/running way better for navigation and tracking/planning my route. That is the exact purpose those apps were designed for, therefore I think they do a Much better job.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I’m a technological dummy for the most part and don’t use any of these but I might if I knew what they do or are for. Can someone explain Onx to me. Heard lots of good stuff about it

For a pretty low yearly subscription they compile counties electronic GIS data(property owners and lines) into a easy to access mapping interface that can utilize your phones gps. It also has tools for recording the path you walked, measuring and waypoints.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Onx is worth every penny! Got me out of the big woods twice this fall and helped tremendously while looking for property to buy.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't just use Google? Reason I'm asking is it does seem very accurate, you can mark locations etc.

I was playing around with it during deer season, it works fine. I can even see my movement in my house.

I'm new to cell phones. 1st purchase in November.

Just curious way not just use Google, is there a downside to-it??

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
Scout N Hunt maps look nice. They have detail on age class of timber, in areas where cutting is done. They are more directed at grouse hunting but could be useful to deer hunters as well. Set up similar to ONX otherwise.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
For a pretty low yearly subscription they compile counties electronic GIS data(property owners and lines) into a easy to access mapping interface that can utilize your phones gps. It also has tools for recording the path you walked, measuring and waypoints.
Interesting. I cant find some of my stands in the afternoon daylight no problem. Its the walking out at night in the dark that gets a little confusing sometimes. Recording the path I walk to my stand definitely could be useful coming out at night. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: bowhunter426

·
Registered
16 Posts
OnX, HuntStand, BaseMap..... which have you used?

OnX is OK, but I haven't figured out a great way to mark waypoints unless I am trying to mark where I am standing, especially if I want to enter specific coordinates. Perhaps I am missing something? I do like it for the property lines, though.

For navigational purposes I much prefer MotionX.

·
Registered
41 Posts
GaiaGPS is another option. Meant for broader uses - skiing, hiking, etc... but has served me well for hunting/scouting for a couple years now. $40/year nationwide, where OnX is more. The paid-for GaiaGPS version has property owners like OnX does. Somewhere on Reddit there's a 6-month free trial code available.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

No better explanation can be found then on using it or youtubing it. We learned w/ the help of youtube. We got it because we have no cell reception where we hunt. So downloaded the basement of our area which then is used while at camp w/ satellites. I love it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't just use Google? Reason I'm asking is it does seem very accurate, you can mark locations etc.

I was playing around with it during deer season, it works fine. I can even see my movement in my house.

I'm new to cell phones. 1st purchase in November.

Just curious way not just use Google, is there a downside to-it??

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
Google doesn't give you the map overlayed with an actual satellite image/ topographical map. Google also doesn't provide the public and private land property lines with land owner information. The ability to also run offline maps without data is extremely valuable. IMO just save yourself the headache and for $29 bucks a year you can have everything all in one place without having to jump between a bunch of apps. It comes out to about $2.50 a month and you can pretty much always find a coupon code for the first subscription year. I use my OnX almost every day, and not always just for hunting. They also offer an awesome desktop version with the same subscription.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Google doesn't give you the map overlayed with an actual satellite image/ topographical map. Google also doesn't provide the public and private land property lines with land owner information. The ability to also run offline maps without data is extremely valuable. IMO just save yourself the headache and for $29 bucks a year you can have everything all in one place without having to jump between a bunch of apps. It comes out to about $2.50 a month and you can pretty much always find a coupon code for the first subscription year. I use my OnX almost every day, and not always just for hunting. They also offer an awesome desktop version with the same subscription.
I have been able to use the THP code every year by canceling my subscription and then restarting it, rather than using auto renew

1 - 20 of 30 Posts