Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the apples we grow are for wildlife but that doesn’t mean that we don’t also get our share for eating, baking, dehydrating, freezing, etc.

We harvested all of the Red Wealthy apples 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. These are great eating apples although you could also use them for pies if you wanted to. We kept many of them in refrigerators and gave away the rest of them to friends and family.

Plant Flower Land lot Tree Sky

We started picking Honey Crisp on Friday (Sept 23rd). We picked about 150# - 200# of them but there are still many to pick - more than we will ever use for sure…

You can see a broken branch on this tree in the background. We thinned apples 2 or 3 times this year but it still wasn't enough. Going to have to do better next year.
Plant Flower Fruit Sky Tree

Food Natural foods Woody plant Flowering plant Produce

Plant Grass Gas Lawn Groundcover

We will eat a lot of these for eating apples for sure, but Elaine likes HC for dehydrating. She will dehydrate about 12-14 cases of these in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, her apple peeler broke down on her a couple days ago. She ordered a new one but the delay will set her back some for sure.
Food Photograph Fruit Plant Natural foods

Anyone else have any favorites that they are harvesting this year?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Outstanding looking crop WT!

I picked Pristine and RedFree this year. Crops were small enough that no apples ever made it off the property. I have about a dozen trees planted for family consumption, all early ripening varieties right off the driveway so I don't have to disturb anything close to hunting season. Honeycrisp is my latest ripening but it was been the poorest growing tree on the property, it might get top worked to another cultivar next year.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Most of the apples we grow are for wildlife but that doesn’t mean that we don’t also get our share for eating, baking, dehydrating, freezing, etc.

We harvested all of the Red Wealthy apples 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. These are great eating apples although you could also use them for pies if you wanted to. We kept many of them in refrigerators and gave away the rest of them to friends and family.

View attachment 855590

We started picking Honey Crisp on Friday (Sept 23rd). We picked about 150# - 200# of them but there are still many to pick - more than we will ever use for sure…

You can see a broken branch on this tree in the background. We thinned apples 2 or 3 times this year but it still wasn't enough. Going to have to do better next year.
View attachment 855591

View attachment 855592

View attachment 855593

We will eat a lot of these for eating apples for sure, but Elaine likes HC for dehydrating. She will dehydrate about 12-14 cases of these in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, her apple peeler broke down on her a couple days ago. She ordered a new one but the delay will set her back some for sure.
View attachment 855594

Anyone else have any favorites that they are harvesting this year?
Beautiful fruit,what is your spray schedule?

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m guessing you’re spraying them throughout the year? Looks great!!
Beautiful fruit,what is your spray schedule?
I pretty much follow the spray schedule (but to a much lesser degree) that I have posted several times in the past (can’t find it at the moment). I missed the dormant oil spray this year (probably the most important) as I was out of state a lot this year. Somehow I also missed a July spraying, but did manage to spray 4 times this year. Will try to get both of those sprayings in next year on the people apples, but these did pretty well this year in spite of my negligence.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have the usual known cultivars, but my favorite are those trees I planted for habitat. In fact, I have 4 different trees like that I get fruit from that are excellent eaters. Funny how some of the worst tasting apples the deer LOVE!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I was able to harvest a 5 gallon bucket of Gala this year and about a dozen Honeycrisp in my young orchard. First year harvest for both of those varieties. My golden delicious are loaded but those won't get picked until later next week. I got into grafting over the winter and am more excited about the Mollies Delicious that I was able to graft and keep alive. By far the best eating apple I have ever had. And, it comes from a pollination tree in a nearby orchard so it's not widely known or desired. Easy to grab scions from to graft next spring too.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Beautiful apples WT! My apple loving 4 year old would be super jealous of your orchard. No apples for us up north this year, summer drought did them in. I am adding more varieties to our people orchard each year, the younger trees should start producing at least a few apples next year.

My boy picked the first Red Delicious behind the house here at home a few days ago (he couldn't wait any longer!). It was the first crop, planted in 2020 I believe. The Granny Smith next to it should start next year.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
I picked Pristine and RedFree this year. Crops were small enough that no apples ever made it off the property.
Speaking of Pristine. My earliest ripening apple. This year was my sole Pristine's 14th in my ground (on EMLA7).
It was going to be a big crop. It's best ever. In early August, I examined it on a Friday afternoon. Then again on Monday afternoon....and the crop was gone. Maybe 5 or 6 apples left.

It has been my perennial problem. Raccoons and possums (and fox squirrels).
My Pristine is clearly a favorite for those critters at that time of year. Must be the smell? Same with my Williams, my Redfree, my Florina and Galarina.
And most years...also my Liberty's, tho not this year.

What doesn't seem...so far....to be so preyed upon are my Galas, my Golden Delicious, my Goldrush. And the pears and crabs don't see losses from climbing critters until much later in the season.

I believe I won't see some of my apple trees produce harvestable fruit until so many trees are mature enough and bearing enough to overwhelm the surviving* critters.

* I say 'surviving' .....as since I returned from Florida in late April, I have reduced that population by 44 animals....***** & possums. Last year, it was in the low '40's through December. It could hit close to 60 by New Year. As November and December are usually busy months for the critters.....most especially when my bird feeder goes up behind the barn.

It is what it is.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
BTW....those **** asterisks above was a software edit to sidestep the colloquil shortcut term for 'raccoon'.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
768 Posts
I hear you WildThing, thin till it hurts. I lost a limb on a Goldrush- thinned twice before the break. And the critter discussion hits close to home , oh my did they get me! A full time job fighting back the mob of critters. Well, here’s’ a bowl full of Pristine for your viewing pleasure.
Food Plant Fruit Peach Staple food

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
I hear you WildThing, thin till it hurts. I lost a limb on a Goldrush- thinned twice before the break. And the critter discussion hits close to home , oh my did they get me! A full time job fighting back the mob of critters. Well, here’s’ a bowl full of Pristine for your viewing pleasure. View attachment 859634
Nice goldrushes and they taste good as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts