Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many of you have had you pups get poked in the eye. The reason I ask is my pup took a stick to the eye which penatrated his cornia and filled the eye full of blood. The vet said she had to put the dog under to see if there was any debri left in the eye, which there wasn't, thank god. However it cost me $600 to find that out. They say it is a pretty common injury for hunting dogs, yet I have yet to run into a fellow hunter who has had the same problem.

·
Registered
26,563 Posts
Mine scratched his a couple of weeks ago. Squinted for the rest of the day but was okay the next. I scratched mine Saturday (I have done this a couple of times) I was hurting pretty good until Monday.
There was a guy that posted about his dog dying because of a stick into the lung, I think.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've heard of dogs dying that way. The guy we got our beagle from said that he had a dog that ran a stick so far into his eye that he ended up dying at the vet.

I've never had one do it... (thank God), but yesterday my boyfriend ran a stick into his eye while out running the dog. It's a good idea to wear glasses while out in the thick woods. It can save an eye. (his eye is a lot better today)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My younger Britt, Elliot, jabbed a stick into his left nostril where is broke off. He had to be knocked out so the vet could go in and get the rest out. I was thinking "great, there goes half his sense of smell", but he showed no after effects. He also scraped a gash in his nose and bled like a stuck pig for a few minutes. He was about 10 months old, he scared me a bit. But this is the same dog that has ripped his sack open:eek: , tore a gash in his front leg, tore a chunk out of his ear, etc... He is a hard charger, but sometimes borders on a [email protected]!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Oh yeah, the leg was the worst, it had to be sutured, you could see muscle and bone. The sack injury was pretty bad, but maybe worse for me to look at than for him, he acted like it didn't even bother him. The ear injury was when he was only about 6 months old. He was attacked by a feral dog or coyote right in my back yard (couldn't tell which, looked more dog like but did have some coyote appearance), the injury didn't require any work from the vet, but I took him just to make sure whatever attacked him didn't do any unseen damage. That was an emergency 10:00 pm on a Sunday night visit ($$$$$). Oh yeah, the attacking dog took a 12 gauge slug right between the eyes.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I had a grass seed get into a dogs eye one time and that cost me big. They had to laser it out.

I just spent $100 bucks a few weeks ago on a thorn that was 2 1/2 inchs long stuck way up in duces pad.

Over the years I would hate to guess how much I have spent at the vets.

Seems like it always something.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Not my dog but a few years ago I was going thru a briar patch and one whiped me across the eye. Next day it took the eye doc 1 1/2 hours with a needle and a drill to remove 12 pickers. Better me than the dog-I have insurance.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Does anyone have pet insurance?? And are any of these things covered?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
In case you did not read my post a while back I had a GSP named Timber which was a very nice dog gregm seen him . Timber is in the #1 standing for NSTRA pointing dogs in michigan and I beleave is still the #1 raked GSP in the country. (last I checked) Opening day of pheasent season this year about 10:15am he shoved a stick in his chest. puctured a lung 12mins later he was dead. I rushed him to the closes vet and the vet said if he would of been 4 mins sooner Tim would of lived!!! ( I wish it was just a stick in the eye) what i am trying to say is I would give the dogs eye before his life. some times we dont think of the simple things.
Are roads are hunting dogs biggest danger??

here is a copy of the obituary that is on the NSTRA site>>>

Field Trial Heaven

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LaRoe creeks Rockin Timber 1xCH

Owned and Handled by Scott Laroe

As if losing a dog isn't hard enough, a freak accident while doing what the dog loves to do can seem worse. Some may say the last moments of his memory will be of hunting with his best friend. "Timber" was being his usual bird finding self, opening morning of bird season, Oct. 20 2003. The 2 year old dog tumbled over a brush pile where a stick had broken his rib and punctured his lung. Although the vet tried to save him it was too late. Scott and Timber had been a force to be reckoned this trial season, he was taking placements every trial and some multiple, we all stood and watched as the remarkable GSP out of Harrison's Blue Rocket and his young handler put his first Championship on him in 5 short months of trailing, we were sure they weren't going to stop there. Scott you have all of our greatest sympathy for the loss of such a great dog, we are proud of you both for what you have accomplished with him. He won't be forgotten. MI Region.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
My dog jumped out of the back bed of my truck before I could open it and seemed fine till the next day. He couldnt get out of his house and just cried when I walked up to him. I had to go to school so my mom took him in, they said the back injury was extensive to the point of a couple thousand and she had him put down. I didnt know he was dead till I got home. I almost died myself when I heard that.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I hate to think of the day that I loose one of my dogs.... they are my kids. I've had dogs in the past that have died...but I've never been as close with them as I am with the 2 that I have now.

They just dont live long enough.....

Sorry to hear about your losses timber and lunker....

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Timberdoodle...I know what you mean about about your dogs being your kids. My chessi Georgia is like my kid. I don't even want to think about the day she is gone.

Sorry to hear about the losses....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
While we are on the subject of doggie accidents, how many upland people have their dogs wear neoprene vests. I know they are more common with waterfowlers, but I have seen a few in the field.

In rough and thick conditions, my boys wear the thinner belly vests but I am thinking of upgrading to the neoprene type. With the vests I have now, if they get slightly out of position, the dog gets chaffed to hell and has a pretty good strawberry after the fact. I know that sizing is important, but I am wondering if people have seen the same type of things with the heavier, neoprene vests. If so, what brand?

My boys have very little coat and after a hard charging day they tend to get cut up pretty bad at times. I am also looking to prevent or minimize any larger scale accidents. They also help out a little in the cold.

Thanks,
Jeff
(w/ Grady and Bogie)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
We take our shorthair duck hunting. We tried to buy him a neoprene vest, I think it was a Hodgeman... but anyway, we couldn't find one to fit him. He's such a big dog. He could squeeze into a XXL but had a hard time moving....I myself found that hard to believe that he couldn't fit into that. I wondered if they had it tagged wrong... But he's got a really deep chest.

Another thing about running the dog during the warmer months on upland birds....wouldn't the dogs get excesively hot wearing one? I'm all for preventing accidents...but I wonder how that would affect his stamina.

By the way Vizsla Hunt Dog....that is an awesome picture of your dogs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried just the belly protector and he kept get caught up. Was it just not tight enough?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I imagine it all boils down to the fit of the vest on the dog. As soon as I get a chance, I am going to customize both of them so they fit a little better. Plus I will get a chance to check out my sewing skills - which are non-existent by the way.

For both of my guys, the small size was too small and the medium was too big.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts