Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on a setup for my waterfowl gun for the 234 turkey season. Currently have a Carleson's "Long range" black cloud in .700 that I used for geese and the "over decoys" choke (don't remember the constriction on that one).

What are you folks out there shooting in this gun (not the designated turkey gun in 887 that is offered, I think I've got the long barrel) for choke and shot selections?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My boys shoot my 887 I still shoot my 11-87 only because its my baby. (23 turkey kills) I have a tru glo turkey choke .667 maybe and I use #4 shot in Remington, patterns very nice and has killed clean out to 41yds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry this is so late, meant to reply sooner but has been a busy week/weekend. I have an 887 Tactical that is my combo home defense/turkey gun. The 18.5” barrel is probably a bit on the short side, but I’m not really losing that much velocity in comparison to the 22-24” “turkey barrels.” Yours sounds like it would have either a 26 or 28” on it, which might be a little tricky at times getting in and out of the woods/thicker brush, but once you are set up and hunting it will provide a little more velocity to your shots. As far as I have read, aside from velocity, there isn’t a huge difference in patterns when it comes to barrel length, so I went the short barrel route for ease of transporting in and out + home use.

I get pretty good patterns out to 35-40 yards using a Primos “Jellyhead” choke which is .665 combined with Winchester Supreme 3.5” #5 lead. I tried several brands (as my wallet allowed) and found this to work the best so far. I still get the urge to try other chokes, but really feel confident with my set up at ranges I’m likely to see anyway (the bird I shot in 2011 was @ 15 yards when I shot him, so pretty much anything would have worked).

I’m not sure how you feel about sights/optics, but one nice thing about the tactical version of the 887 is that it has a rail on it already for add-on sights. I have a Nikon Turkey Pro BTR scope on mine which is awesome (not sure if they still make it though). Being a waterfowler, you’re probably used to the sights that are on it and anything more isn’t really necessary, but just wanted to share my set-up.

Hopefully this helps as a starting point, the real answer is you just have to experiment with loads and chokes… which is expensive but fun.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts