Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any luck with it or just one more thing to do away with?
I got one at Meijers today.

·
Administrator
35,812 Posts
Never had any luck with mine. Everytime any deer saw it they took off running in the other direction, - fast. I even tried putting feathers in the ears that would move with the wind for a little bit of action but it didn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have used one and had good results. It was used primarily at the Shiawassee refuge though. I have the bedded doe decoy.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I killed my biggest buck useing mine, but I've had hunts where I wished I'd left it home. I think it's like any other decoy they work at the right time and place.
One thing I did with mine was make the eyes more realistic. I took a pop bottle with dimples on the bottom and cut out two of the bumps. Then glued them over the decoy's eyes. After the glue dried I took a black marker and colored the plastic. Im not sure if it works but It can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have treid one for bowhunting, and it didn't get favorable results. When the deer come in that close to it, they get REAL nervous and know something isn't right. I guess it would be OK for gun hunting because of the longer ranges. So, I should have saved the money for more deer carrots- those work!!!!!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I've had better luck attracting deer with my Feather Flex Turkey decoys than I have with my Feather Flex Deer Decoy.

I have an older model with blaze orange markings on the ears, face and belly. I may be wrong but I think the newer ones no longer have the blaze orange markings?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was suprised to see mine didnt have orange on it? Is the bad luck coming from the hunters orange model or white?
Wow the turkey decoy eh, I know the screaming rabbit calls for coyote calls them in and they wont leave but never heard of the turkey one , very interesting!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
there was an article last year in bowhunting magazine (i think) that talked about the use of decoys. very positive about results, but have to be used in the correct way. The basic principles are:

1) use a buck decoy most of the season. generally bucks will investigate for sparring, dominance or social visit during most of the season.
2) when using a buck decoy, place the decoy approx. 20 yards upwind, quartering towards your stand. generally a buck will confront another buck by walking straight at him and then parallel past him in a show of dominance.
3) if using a doe decoy (pre-rut) bucks will approach from behind and downwind to see if she's in estrus. therefore, put your doe decoy 20 yards upwind, facing away.
4) regardless of the decoy (doe or buck) don't make the decoy visible from a long distance. the longer a deer looks at it, the more it realizes that something isn't right. a standing whitetail moves constantly, unless it's at full alert. therefore, try to setup the decoy so that the front or rear end is behind a bit of cover, and use calls to tempt bucks into searching for the source of the calls.
5) as always, be wary of scents. spray the appropriate lures around the decoy, not on it, if you plan on leaving it stashed in the woods somewhere. also, make sure its (human) scent free.

a corn field with just the head sticking out of the first few rows can work great. last year, my brother took a shot up 3-d doe out and put in semi-concealed on the edge of some woods, in early october. had a bachelor group of two 6 points and an 8 point check it out for about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I got my featherflex bedded(orange on)decoy years ago when they first hit the market. I converted it to a standing doe decoy by using some 1/2in thinwall condiut and stick-on velcro.Bent the conduit in an enlonged U shape of sufficient width and height for front and rear legs,flattened the 'duit ends about an inch,placed 3in strips of velcro on each of the four points of leg contact and under my decoy accordingly.Also attached white 5-6in feathers on fishline to each ear loosely so they flutter in a breese. Gives it some look-alive features;and a combination of white/lg turkey feather for a tail similarily attached. I've not had deer spook from it tho some boss does will try to get aggressive and kick at it. Does tend to hang around and get edgey so now I use a buck decoy with it to keep the does on the move. I hung a Tail-Wagger on the buck decoy and use the foam tail whiteside out for good effect. rzdmh has posted excellent info for sucessful decoy use procedures. Suggest that all decoyers read AND heed.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have a stand up doe decoy that collects dust in the shed. I tried it many times and had have bucks respond to it maybe 3 times. The bad part is that the bucks always went the other way. I've never had a deer, doe or buck, come in to investigate.

I'm sure they work well in areas with a good buck/doe ratios, however, in the stateland I hunt they act more like a scare crow for deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts