Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
or am I the only one :dizzy: ?

Took my 2nd deer on Monday (Doe) so I pulled out of the property until everything quiets back down up there from all the opening day hoop la.

We're trying a new technique this year making our place a "safety zone" so once everything quiets back down, we'll slip back in hopefully taking a bruiser that made our "quiet" property home while everyone else is running around theirs (will be watching for tresspassers though). Might work - might not but worth a shot I guess. Did this last year and my father took a big 9 pt december 15th.

Anyone else sitting out with the same mentallity or do I just need :help:

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I too, will not be in the woods. That said, my Wife and Daughter will be out there. I believe the strategy a sound one. My property is a haven for deer when the Firearm season kicks off, actually a haven year round.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
should work if your piece of the pie is big enough.

sounds to me like that big boy last December may have been looking for does, that would be a little after the second rut, If you have good doe bedding areas that will do the trick this weekend just as good as December.

When they are all horned up they don't care about anything but does, if you got does hanging around I think it might be a mistake to take this weekend off.

just my .02

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sitting out, viewing Friday and funeral Saturday. Bummed I'm missing the opener but paying my last respects trump a weekend in the woods. I have a lot of openers in front of me. God speed Carl

·
Registered
576 Posts
Also sitting out due to a broken back from a tree stand fall. Bummed I'm gonna miss it but grateful I'm alive and can walk. Stay safe everyone!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Might not be able to make the opener. My wife just had our twins this week and we might not get sent home until Saturday. She says I can sneak out Friday morning for a few hours but I feel guilty!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I will be in the woods this weeknd, but with a camera, kinda feels like I'm sitting out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also sitting out due to a broken back from a tree stand fall. Bummed I'm gonna miss it but grateful I'm alive and can walk. Stay safe everyone!
Omg, I am glad your ok and please get well soon!!

Might not be able to make the opener. My wife just had our twins this week and we might not get sent home until Saturday. She says I can sneak out Friday morning for a few hours but I feel guilty!
Congrats dad!! Hope everyone is doing well!!

Sitting out, viewing Friday and funeral Saturday. Bummed I'm missing the opener but paying my last respects trump a weekend in the woods. I have a lot of openers in front of me. God speed Carl
I'm sorry for your loss. Family always takes front seat. There still a long season in front of us.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I will be out but kind of following a similar approach as you. I have one property I hunt that is near town and is archery only. I will be out with my fiancé on the opener and leave the archery only spot alone. The deer use this property pretty heavy after the opener and I'm hoping to capitalize this year. Missed a 130 class buck around the 28th of November at 4 in the afternoon. And saw a bigger one at 50 yards a week later. Those are the only two three year old deer I have EVER seen after the 16th . I think your plan is a great one. It may not pay off every year but it is definitely effective from what I've seen
Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts