Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where and how to catch them... but it's an hour drive so I'm just looking for some info on if any are being caught yet before I drive all the way out there just to catch no fish.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any report of any kind?

Like I said all I'm looking for is a "yes, some are being caught" or a "no, they are not around yet" answer. Not looking for your hotspot or hot bait.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,339 Posts
PM sent:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
No one has any report of any kind?

Like I said all I'm looking for is a "yes, some are being caught" or a "no, they are not around yet" answer. Not looking for your hotspot or hot bait.
The Indians are still "catching" them! :(

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
This is my 6th year at the channel fishing for them. I go the weekend of or after the deer opener. Always some fish present, not always heavily though.

·
Super Moderator
16,339 Posts
so being holier than thou is alright for ANY species then?

For cripes sake , this always has to go on every season - doesn't it???
I've bumped scales off Walleyes trolling in 30 FOW , but I keep holy water onboard so it's OK.

:rolleyes:

Put a cork (or is it float , or bobber or strike indicator) in it OK???

:lol:

·
Banned
312 Posts
hey asked a simple question. literally. how you interpret typed english is not anybody else's problem but yours. i guess you need to put a cork or thumb or how about your foot in it. ok?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Calm down fellas...

No, snagging whitefish is illegal. BUT, you can't vertical jig for them without getting a few snagged fish. It's impossible. But all snagged fish get tossed back. And If I see someone keeping them I always have my phone on me... and I have the RAP line on speed dial.

I don't try to snag ANY fish of any species. In fact this year I went to the smaller BPS tungsten spoons because for their weight they are half the size of your typical Hopkins spoon and have a smaller hook... thus more biters and less snags. At least that's the theory.

I'd love to learn how to fish them with bait... but for one I wasn't able to get any salmon eggs this year due to a back injury that kept me out of the rivers the entire fall season. Second no one seems to want to help anyone learn how to fish these eggs... kinda like the salmon/trout/steelhead fisherman... whitefishermen seem to keep everything close to their chest and "secret." Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
16,339 Posts
That's kind of what I figured... no big deal on my end. Maybe we'll see you out there!
how you interpret typed english is not anybody else's problem but yours
RIGHT !

NBD on my end , I just figured TUM's question was rather smarty pants.
;)
Seems there always has to be a mud sling on "snagging".

:xzicon_sm

I don't mind either way ~

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
What I want to know, is why do so many on the westside jig spoons for them when waxworms and salmon eggs will outfish them by quite a margin? That's how they do it on the eastside, and you never hear any reference to fouled fish, but it seems rampant in westside whitefish reports? Not saying anything, just curious?

·
Super Moderator
16,339 Posts
What I want to know, is why do so many on the westside jig spoons for them when waxworms and salmon eggs will outfish them by quite a margin? That's how they do it on the eastside, and you never hear any reference to fouled fish, but it seems rampant in westside whitefish reports? Not saying anything, just curious?
Not really sure , you can actually get a "longer" season bait fishing them , I myself love to vertical jig ANYTHING - I had a buddy give me a skein a week ago and I'm supposed to take a trip with a few of the "MassaH wHitEY daWGz" and do the bait thing....
Got a pile of pyramid sinkers , swivels and all the trimmin's - PLUS I got wax woimz too.

:lol:

I don't like fishing live bait and so far this year I've bought it twice.
The nightcrawlers I got this summer died in my fridge inbetween 6 trips in the boat.

Maybe others will chime in on their take !!
:evil:

Good question.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Different application in this case. People do use bait methods to catch whitefish on Lake Michigan just like they do on Huron. In this particular instance (I'm assuming location) people vertical jig on the whitefish's spawning grounds in particular channels looking for a reactionary strike, or the hope of dropping it on a bed and having the fish pick it up and move it off. The reason fish are snagged is because there can be so many fish packed tight that it's inevitable.

Mitch

·
Registered
102 Posts
alot of people do use wax worms and spawn on this side of the state. It just happens that in one harbor where we jig for them its kind of like a funnel and we sit in the neck of the funnel jigging for them. Ive never tried to use the wax worms and spawn, but I dont think it would work because of the number of people that go out there. I was also told by one guy that the whitefish spawn in the rocks along the wall and those rocks would cause some complications with that kind of set up.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Hmmm...I see. I just find it funny reading whitefish reports over here that go like-"hooked 15 whites tonight, 8 fair, 7 fouled", it's like, is it November or am I ahead of myself!?:lol:.....

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Hmmm...I see. I just find it funny reading whitefish reports over here that go like-"hooked 15 whites tonight, 8 fair, 7 fouled", it's like, is it November or am I ahead of myself!?:lol:.....
It seems to be a Muskegon thing, down this way you don't see it. Eggs and waxworms for the most part.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts