Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas to get it up off the ice. Wish they would put it on a real sled like the thickness of the otter. Any pics or help would be greatly appreciated. Doing some trips to Canada and dont want to drag it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Shappel makes a rack that fits on quads. It works real well. I have one, but don't use it because it makes my quad too long for my enclosed trailer. If you are interested $60, like new. PM me if you want it. Capnhook

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Otter sleds are 5/16" thick. They are tanks but its why they last so long. My cabin package weighs about 95 lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Looking for ideas to get it up off the ice. Wish they would put it on a real sled like the thickness of the otter. Any pics or help would be greatly appreciated. Doing some trips to Canada and dont want to drag it.
I had one of the original fish traps before getting my otter cabin. I simply mounted two snowmobile tie down bars to the back rack so that they stuck out behind the quad. Put fish trap on the tie down bars secured it with ratchet straps. Worked perfect. Drove all over with it on even when it was in the back of my truck. Drilled two holes in front of tub on the sides and put some heavy rope thru holes then tied a knot inside tub. This allowed me to strap it to quad rack in order to keep it from sliding off the tie down bars. Ratchet strap went around trap itself to keep it from bouncing. Just make sure when you mount bars that the distance between them allows the runners of the tub to fit between the bars. Very simple and cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
140 Posts
Simply add two pcs of 1x1 square tubing to the back of the machine. Let them stick out beyond the back of the machine far enough to extend past the outer ski of the fish trap. My machines also have a brace that pin into the outer ledge/rim of the tub. You can also make the tubing fold, by adding a couple bolts and a pins. That's what I did.

If you go to the NAIFC forum, most of those guys have modified their machines to get their shanties off the ice. It's a lot easier on all of your equipment. Plus we usually run and gun now anyways. The shanties only get used to carry equipment and act as a severe weather shelter, unless we're sight fishing.

If you pm me, I might be able to dig up some pics.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,895 Posts
I had one of the original fish traps before getting my otter cabin. I simply mounted two snowmobile tie down bars to the back rack so that they stuck out behind the quad. Put fish trap on the tie down bars secured it with ratchet straps. Worked perfect. Drove all over with it on even when it was in the back of my truck. Drilled two holes in front of tub on the sides and put some heavy rope thru holes then tied a knot inside tub. This allowed me to strap it to quad rack in order to keep it from sliding off the tie down bars. Ratchet strap went around trap itself to keep it from bouncing. Just make sure when you mount bars that the distance between them allows the runners of the tub to fit between the bars. Very simple and cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
When you load the shanty on these bars does it sit on the rack and the bars or is the shanty sitting on the bars only? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,895 Posts
Alot of good ideas. I have a box on the back so i will need it to extend out beyond that.
If you have a box on the back and you put your shanty behind the box won't that make your front end really light? I have been thing about the bar in the rack idea but havn't tried it yet. mI saw one a while back where they made a bracket behind the rack and the shanty sit on its side so you did not have to lift it up. I don't know how the routed the exhaust to keep from burning a hole in the tub of the shanty

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have a box on the back and you put your shanty behind the box won't that make your front end really light? I have been thing about the bar in the rack idea but havn't tried it yet. mI saw one a while back where they made a bracket behind the rack and the shanty sit on its side so you did not have to lift it up. I don't know how the routed the exhaust to keep from burning a hole in the tub of the shanty
So if i just move up some on the eat it should be fine.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
When you load the shanty on these bars does it sit on the rack and the bars or is the shanty sitting on the bars only? Thanks
It sat on the bars only power auger is mounted to actual rack. This was done on a 91 yamaha big bear 350 and had no problems with weight. It worked really well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
if you buy a hifax runner kit from otter you dont have to worry about wearing out your sled. you can bolt a couple strips of hifax on any sled. also you will recieve enough to do the job 2 or 3 times....and it will pull easier by hand.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I installed two runners on my Fish Trap Pro. I used a couple of snowmobile slides. I beleive they are nylon. Been on for three years and I tow it with a four wheeler most of the time. They are holding up very well.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
fishindude, that looks great, and with the pins for EZ on/ EZ off, I wouldn't have to worry about it being too long for the enclosed trailed. THANKS!! Capnhook PS don't forget to let us know when those walleyes take off.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
I tried mounting my Eskimo to the back of my quad on a hitch haul. Found out that the extra weight and the leverage that it created, was just too much on the quad. I rotated the rear shocks as far as I could get them. I ended up making a small trailer to fit my needs. Pics of both in my photos...

However.... those of you that are mounting to the back of larger quads, or to quads that when loaded, set too low, here's a product that might help. http://www.mooseutilities.com/products.jsp?level1=972&product_group_id=4869

1 - 20 of 22 Posts