Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice ride to alpena on us-23 wed. 40 miles on the hills. The roads were tore up a bit north of harrisville and had to dodge cars a bit but it was a nice run.;)

Got to alpena and my bike needed some work. I took it to the shop and by the time he fixed it I was too tight to pedal back. Wife had made the trip to shop anyway so I got to take a easy ride home:evil:

Hopefully got a few more runs before the snow flies........m:lol:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have been! Try to get out 2 or 3 times a week after work although that is getting harder to do with it getting dark sooner. Am going on a ride in the morning with a friend, will try to get in 25 or 30 miles. I use a road bike although I see this is a mountain biking forum. I like wise will try to ride until the snow covers the roads.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope you had a nice ride The weather looked great. I too use a road bike as well. Good luck........m:D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
We had a good ride. Perfect weather, got out around 9:30 and rode just over 30 miles. Got home in time to get showered and join some friends for some tailgating before the MSU vs. Notre Dame game.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've been slacking for about the last month.....been too busy getting everything around for bow season instead! Hopefully things will calm down and I can get back out again...I LOVE riding in October!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone ever ride on us23 to the bridge?? Went a little north of alpena today Seems like lots of hills to rogers city. There is a bike trail just off the highway Just wondering if it makes it to the bridge as well??........m:D

·
Registered
950 Posts
The bike trail from RC north just goes to Hoft State park about 6 miles north. They are in the works to make it longer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've only ridden twice this year. Then blew a tire and got too busy to get the bike fixed up and ride again. Of course once I did get over to buy the tube I had to buy new pedals, new shoes etc... haven't even used em yet. :dizzy: Hopefully I'll get it done so I can at least get one or two runs in before the snow falls.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike trail from RC north just goes to Hoft State park about 6 miles north. They are in the works to make it longer.
I guess the only way is to bike rogers city us-23 to the bridge.:yikes:

Man that ought to be fun:D

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rode today 52 miles out m72. the colors were amazing. Weather was perfect for biking. Long hills out that way. Average 14.9mph over them:D
Man that hot bath is calling:D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's a good ride! I didn't ride at all this weekend. Played in a golf outing yesterday and worked on the "honey do" list today. Hope to get in a 20 miler after work tomorrow as the weather down state here looks really good yet for tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
30,941 Posts
This is my first time posting over here so be gentle.
I ride 4 days a week, usually on my lunch break. Up until 2 1/2 months ago I hadn't riden since jr. high ( I'm 47). As of right now I'm getting in 70-80 miles a week with a 16.5 - 17 mph avg. I'm absolutely lovin it!
I have several routes to keep things interesting including one that takes me out near Charlton Park just east of Hastings. I'm not sure what all of you consider big hills, but at this stage of my quest I would consider some of them doosies.
I'm seriously considering entering a couple of sprit triathlons next summer. Anybody have any experience?

Big T

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never been in one. I just like to ride for the cardio. Sounds like your well on your way though. check www.bikesportmichigan.com they might have something for you and good luck......m:D

·
Premium Member
30,941 Posts
Never been in one. I just like to ride for the cardio. Sounds like your well on your way though. check www.bikesportmichigan.com they might have something for you and good luck......m:D
Thanks Marty!
Just got back from Riverfront cycle getting some tire repairs done.
Man O man do they have some sweet scooters. I was checking out some Cannondales in the $1200.00 plus range. If I get into biking any further my hunting hobby will be easy to sell the wife as cheap.

Big T

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I broke down and bought a cannondale 600. I rode a mongoose switcback for a year and it fell apart on me from all the riding. When I took this cannondale for a spin that was all it took. I just love the bike:D

You won't be disappointed and it's only money:lol:

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Why you old goat, now you took up bike riding?;);):) Good for you, it's great for the spirit.

I've been riding pretty steady and will head out as soon as this dang cable repair guy gets here and leaves.
The old girl and I just rode the Straits/Wilderness S.P. area this past weekend. The colors weren't all that super deluxe in the immediate area but they sure were on the car ride up there from Petoskey.
We've been riding all over the area this summer but have slacked a bit lately. Something isn't right with my blood sugar level and my stamina has gone down a bit. Got to get to the doctor on Tuesday.

I've riden the gravel trail from Mackinaw to Cheyboygan, it's a great ride and it's right next to Big Stone Bay fisheries, where you can stop to pick up some of the cheapest fresh and smoked fish in the state.

I tried to post some ride pics but I'm over my picture limit at the moment.

Take care and watch out for those semi's and grannies.:dizzy::dizzy:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey old man I haven't seen you around here in a while. Yea that trail is sweet to the bridge is great.. My wife and I did indian river to mackinaw. That was a nice ride.

I agree the bike is good for the mind , body and soul. Keeps the weight off and there's nobody around here that rides here anyway. Most times I ride with my grandson. He keeps me on my toes:yikes:

Take care and maybe we'll see each other on the trails this spring. Good luck deer hunting this year.......m:D

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I just can't my wife to do many miles on those gravel trails. She starts whining after about 15 miles, so an Indian River to Mackinaw ride would be out for sure. That's quite a ride.

We've done portions of that trail. Wolverine/Vanderbilt, Wolverine/Indian River, Indian River to north of Topinabee, and then south out of Mackinaw some.

Those dang deer,,,It's gotten built up pretty good around me, and they have certainly shifted their travel patterns but it seems to of forced a few more deer my way.

Now I hope that beast I had a shot at last year is still around. I seen his track earlier this spring but haven't seen it for some months now. Hopefully the ladies will draw him back.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I sat up my trainer for my trek to start the offical "winter sucks to ride a bike in michigan" countdown. I going to try and ride tomorow as deer hunting has become a joke around here:rant::yikes:.

Since opening day I've seen four deer. My cams are not getting any pictures nor is there any sign:yikes: I'm still figuring out that "easy crossbow stuff" out yet but nobody told the deer:lol:

Good luck with the beast. keep warm and stay in touch.......m:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts