Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email from the DNR about this it is some special offering hunts you pay 4.00 application fee and you can win via the lottery a Spring & Fall Turkey Hunt, Bear Hunt, Elk Hunt (any Elk) Antlerless Hunt and a Waterfowl Hunt. You just pay the cost for each license if you are the winner. The Application Period is between now and the end of the year. You can enter as many times as you want.

I had some questions but since the DNR's "Contact Us" has no means to ask a question to them current via online you have to call them to learn more.

It sounds like it is good for 2010 but again not much if the licenses are good for more than 1 year, also it suggests it does not effect any other hunting which I am wondering if you win this can you still apply for an Elk License and get both in one year like 2 Bulls? It says that if you have already got an Elk you are out of the running for the elk license, I am thinking that is if you got a cow license you are out for 5 years but again not sure the same for the bull once you get one you are supposuely done hunting elk in Michigan. Non Residents can apply but can't get the Elk License as it is for MI Residents only. Is the Bear hunt for any BMU your choice? I had other questions but can't recall what they are at the moment.

I am wondering if any others have heard about this and what you know about it??? Just sounds to be a marketing thing. Does not say how many are available just one, or just how many can win this? The information is not very detailed.

Anyone here know anything???

Newaygo1

·
Registered
699 Posts
I believe there will be 3 winners. You will get an elk tag even if you have gotten one before. You can hunt any unit and any season you want. You could shoot 2 elk and 2 bears if you drew the tags also. It does not affect your bear or elk points.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:yeahthat:

this is true

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
I have applied twice so far. Will put a couple more in along the way.:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
it's a pretty smart way for the dnr to make money, sell tickets for a lottery then pick 3 winners and make them still buy the licences, money from every direction sounds like a good plan they should do this every year

i wonder if they will be giving out 3 less elk tags for next year to make up for the ones they are giving out here?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will be interesting to see just how many apply. I have not see anything here at MSF about this but mostly check the Deer Hunting Section here.

The Elk License would be the best one if you had to choose one, the Bear is good to but I coulkd not get that much time off to do those as well as the Turkey... But for some it might not be any problem...But having a Bull Elk head mount might set you back a good few dollars...

Thanks I thought that if you had an elk license you would not get that but the rest is the way I read the info... But I can't apply just started a new job and 4 dollars less an hour just not in the budget to get off work that much nor the money to spend but it is tempting...

Just another way to bring in some much needed funds for the DNR...

Newaygo1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts