Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here heard about this treatment for ostioarthritis? A Veterinarian suggested it for my Husky who has developed some ostioarthritis in her hips. Secondary to moderate Dysplasia. From what I've read. They take some adipose tissue (fat cells) from the patient. It then is sent to Vet-Stem. Where it is treated and the stem cells are extracted and returned to the vet. They then inject some of the cells into each hip. The remaining cells are stored for future use. here is a link to a double blind study that this company conducted. The treatment is expensive. But, it's much cheaper than total hip replacement. Any thoughts welcome.
http://www.veterinarytherapeutics.c...F9&tier=4&id=563FE60EB28C419987DADF3074CF87B3

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've heard good things about it, but it's so new none of the bad things have surfaced yet. I know that a lot of people are very excited about it. What vet do you go to, where did they suggest you go for it, and what were you quoted?

Last number I heard was about $1500, but I'm not sure if that was cost, or the cost of the entire procedure....because frankly, it seems a little low.

You've got the process down from what I've read of it. Basically, they give perform lyposection on your dog, strip the stem cells from the fat, then ship the stem cells back to the veterinarian for injection.

·
Banned
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding!

Parkway Vet. There are four vets in my area that can do the procedure. I was quoted a little over 2K. High, but not impossible, I think.

The only adverse side effects noted in the study were local irritation that they thought might have been caused by hyper-extension of the joint during injection.

It does sound promising. The dog is 5 1/2 years old. So, she should live another five years or so. I guess it will come down to a cost-vs-benefit decision.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I looked into this treatment for a severe shoulder injury to a horse I owned. I didnt go that route because there is no guarantee and it is expensive. However, all the research I did on the Issue back then (mine had nerve damage as well) lead to that being her best hope. If it was within the budget I would try it before I went with a total hip replacement.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for responding!

Parkway Vet. There are four vets in my area that can do the procedure. I was quoted a little over 2K. High, but not impossible, I think.

The only adverse side effects noted in the study were local irritation that they thought might have been caused by hyper-extension of the joint during injection.

It does sound promising. The dog is 5 1/2 years old. So, she should live another five years or so. I guess it will come down to a cost-vs-benefit decision.
To me 2k seems rather reasonable mostly at her age.
I spent at least 2k in "pain relief" supplements and drugs for my dysplastic Vizsla in a 5 year span.
If you have it done can you please let us know what the outcome is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts