Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience hunting a Christmas tree farm. I have been granted hunting access to one that is in mainly a farm area. I know there are a lot of deer in this area and I was wondering if anyone knows any strategies for a hunting situation like this.

Please let me know if you have any tips or experience. I know the area holds deer but I don't know if the tree farm will.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They most likely use the tree farm for cover if there is alot of ag surround it. Right now they are very safe in those Xmas trees if no one else is hunting it. And they know it. If you can figure out where they are coming in and out of the most frequently, I would hunt it during the rut for sure and your almost guaranteed to have bucks cruising through looking for bedded does.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I did one season. The owner of the Xmas tree farm had a food plot next to it adjacent to a piece of PVT property that was fenced. I walked the fence line looking for a good used deer run and a "dip" in the fence. I setup there with a NW wind in my face, deer trail to my left. Worked pretty good. I saw deer earlier in the evenings and later in mornings once they woke from bedding in the Xmas trees. They would come in to the food plot, eat, browse and then jump the fence to a thicket.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Before I scout a property, I look-up the address on Yahoo Maps and turn on the satellite feature. This gives you great detail on the land layout and helps identify ag. areas, bottlenecks, transition zones, etc. The key is finding the bedding area (tree farm) and feeding areas. Try to locate corridors between these areas to set up in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yea I have quite a few times... Seen alot of nice deer on it, Theres a couple lil watering holes there and I typically hunt near one of them, Deer always in and out of there drinking

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Did you open the gifts...anything good? :lol:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience hunting a Christmas tree farm. I have been granted hunting access to one that is in mainly a farm area. I know there are a lot of deer in this area and I was wondering if anyone knows any strategies for a hunting situation like this.

Please let me know if you have any tips or experience. I know the area holds deer but I don't know if the tree farm will.

Thanks
Be careful what you wish for!
I had a friend, he was a life long duck/goose hunter and in one fantastic season his group of five killed an unbelievable amount of geese from corn field blinds. The five of them dropped 15 geese out of one flock, that’s how thick they were.
I’ll never forget the seriousness in his face sometime later as he told me that season ruined his desire to ever hunt geese again.

All that came back to me somewhere in the 90’s when Menominee County was overrun with deer so bad you could get all the public permits you wanted. It was unbelievable, deer were running in herds everywhere you looked! I killed 5 deer in 10 days and really should have had ten.
The feeling that came over me later reminded me of my friend and I had no desire to ever get in that kind of situation again.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a friend, he was a life long duck/goose hunter and in one fantastic season his group of five killed an unbelievable amount of geese from corn field blinds. The five of them dropped 15 geese out of one flock, that’s how thick they were.
I’ll never forget the seriousness in his face sometime later as he told me that season ruined his desire to ever hunt geese again.

All that came back to me somewhere in the 90’s when Menominee County was overrun with deer so bad you could get all the public permits you wanted. It was unbelievable, deer were running in herds everywhere you looked! I killed 5 deer in 10 days and really should have had ten.
The feeling that came over me later reminded me of my friend and I had no desire to ever get in that kind of situation again.
huh?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I guess his other thread was drying about about the cat he killed, or was finally locked...so he is trolling here to get people fired up. guarantee he is gonna get a few bites.

love the pic there tho delloro, saved it to send to people who ask me if I caught anything out deer hunting...gonna show them the amazing day I had around the end of December...lol.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
These deer are all from an overgrown Xmas tree farm.

They can be a pain to hunt, there's not a lot of options for stands on our place. Invested in some tripod stands this year, hoping that will expand our options.

·
Registered
916 Posts

Yeah, I hate to limit out and fill tags. lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I was able to go out and scout it over the weekend and I saw many signs of deer tracks and bedding areas in a tall grass field north of the X-mass tree farm. There is also a large corn field south of the farm across the road. The Tree farm was not as large as I expected, it is 10 acres and probably half to two thirds of it is trees. There was not a lot of distinctive funnel zones so I am curious on where to hunt it. I figure my best bet is to try find a beaten down path leading in and out of the edge of the trees.

Also the first half of the trees are thick and over grown and the second half are very small still and provide little cover.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They most likely use the tree farm for cover if there is alot of ag surround it. Right now they are very safe in those Xmas trees if no one else is hunting it. And they know it. If you can figure out where they are coming in and out of the most frequently, I would hunt it during the rut for sure and your almost guaranteed to have bucks cruising through looking for bedded does.
There is a corn field across the road to the south that I assume holds a lot of deer. Do you think they will be pushed to the tree farm once this corn is cut?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I hunt a tree farm nursery that has many strips about four to five trees wide where the deer love to bed, especially in bad weather. Very difficult to hunt, as the deer can slip out any direction and most of the strips of trees are too tall to see a deer within the strip and very few mature trees to hang a stand in. We have considered tripod stands but need two man tripods as we have youth just getting into deer hunting, and they are few and too expensive. We have three elevated enclosed blinds which are up year around and the deer are used to them now. Last year my oldest GD shot her first deer out of one of the blinds after it stepped out of a row of pines to feed in the adjacent crop field. One shot at 200 yards, dropped it in its tracks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts