Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone hunts that area and what kind of luck you have had? Between me and my father, we got a 6 Pt and 2 does last year, both missed shots of does the year before, and two years ago - when we first started hunting there pops missed a shot on a BIG 8 pt. I would love to meet some of you if any of you hunt in the same area! :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
My brother and some of his friends have a camp very near the Witness Tree monument (north of Sturgeon Valley Rd.) They see a ton of deer sign but never seem to have a very impressive buck (or doe) pole??? Personally, I think it's in an area that has a lot of "road" hunters. There are some great spots to hunt but you have to be willing to do a great deal of pre-hunt work. I guess that could be said about a lot of places though. They have taken some very nice bucks from the area though so don't pull up stakes base on my opinion. If I were to make it an annual trip, I would focus on a late-October bow season trip. I'm guessing with Firearm season starting on a Saturday this year, that whole area will be packed! If I decide to make the trip up there, I would certainly be open to meeting up with some fellow MS members.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother and some of his friends have a camp very near the Witness Tree monument (north of Sturgeon Valley Rd.) They see a ton of deer sign but never seem to have a very impressive buck (or doe) pole??? Personally, I think it's in an area that has a lot of "road" hunters. There are some great spots to hunt but you have to be willing to do a great deal of pre-hunt work. I guess that could be said about a lot of places though. They have taken some very nice bucks from the area though so don't pull up stakes base on my opinion.
It is definately a good area, but I do see A LOT of hunters, most who have no clue what they are doing - but that comes with the territory (state land). However, through years of riding snowmobiles in the area, I have been able to find my very own "dead zone" it is a large parcel of land with no roads going in unless you have an extreme 4x4 truck. I have never seen a hunter back where I hunt (knock on wood) and hope not to in the future, but in time I am sure that some will discover my getaway.

ETA: Yeah I am sure it will be a mad-house. I will be getting there thursday night, and leaving tuesday night.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. There are alot of locals that drive in.

2. Most of the casual hunters stick to the edges of the rye fields (which of course have either tractor roads or abandoned tow tracks leading up to).

3. All of the gated and bermed roads keep most of the real jokers that park within 300 yards of their blind or stand out of the area.

4. There is good hunting to be found if you learn the area - key on learning the feeding habits - they change yearly:lol:

Personally, I've been there around 17 years and know locals who have hunted upwards of fifty and have had a reasonable amount of success (better than average). Population seems to remain steady, although not high, but in pockets there are deer and bucks to be seen daily. The real toads definitely take some real work (think waders) but I've seen some pretty nice deer taken reasonably often.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have really been wanting to hunt Bush Rd & Little Mcmaster S Creek Trail area. There is a huge swamp back there, but local kids hunt there and they bait year-round. They always have quite a few bucks on the pole.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have really been wanting to hunt Bush Rd & Little Mcmaster S Creek Trail area. There is a huge swamp back there, but local kids hunt there and they bait year-round. They always have quite a few bucks on the pole.
I believe this is the same swamp we lead a guy out of a few years back. He was wandering around in there (without a compass) and had no idea how to get out much less back to his truck! That is one spot I would for sure spend some time scouting. If your willing to get in there and spend some time with a GPS (and compass as back-up) you can find some real hotspots to hunt. I agree, the rye fields are almost useless during firearm season as they are too accessable for the weekend warriors. I think you got the right idea by finding a desolate area where the deer will migrate towards once local traffic picks up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will be going up this saturday, and will for sure check it out. I might try to hunt it some during hunting season, but like I said there are a bunch of local guys that pretty much chased me and my father out of there last time we were in there during hunting season. They also are the ones who are responsible for cutting the lock on the green gates for the nature preserve back there. My father said he walked back there before the opener last year, and that there were HUGE piles of bait out. It does look like a really good area though. I know how to get in the back way (from the osmun) so I may do that. It seems to me that all of the deer in that area all head for the thickets and swamps after the opener. Where I hunt now backs up to another small swamp and it gets really thick (can't walk through at all) and I have had really good luck there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like you got the right idea, I know that area pretty well (more by Tin Bridge and relax I don't hunt near Osmun;)). You put the work in and I'll guarantee you some chances at some decent bucks. Avoid rye fields and gate roads and you should be OK. Learn the country (what a concept)

Good luck this weekend, I'll be in the area trying to knock down some grouse and clean up a little in my area.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I will be going up this saturday, and will for sure check it out. I might try to hunt it some during hunting season, but like I said there are a bunch of local guys that pretty much chased me and my father out of there last time we were in there during hunting season. They also are the ones who are responsible for cutting the lock on the green gates for the nature preserve back there. My father said he walked back there before the opener last year, and that there were HUGE piles of bait out. It does look like a really good area though. I know how to get in the back way (from the osmun) so I may do that. It seems to me that all of the deer in that area all head for the thickets and swamps after the opener. Where I hunt now backs up to another small swamp and it gets really thick (can't walk through at all) and I have had really good luck there.
If you take Tin Shanty Rd to Sturgeon Valley Rd then head west about 2 miles, you will see signs for a DNR station. Stop in there and turn those local punks in. There has been a baiting ban in that DMU (455) for several years. A couple hefty citations might be just enough to drive them elsewhere. Otherwise. . . best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hunted there for the first time last year. Headed back this year. We camped in the northern edge. Definitly gets a lot of pressure. You've got to head in deep to avoid the locals. They'll let you know where they are hunting if they've been there for years. Even still, its not uncommon to have someone walk by. Lots of sign....yet to hang a bruiser.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I hunt the last part of deerseason up there in gaylord at a old ski lodge a friend owns.They get some nice bucks out there.There's a big swamp right next to it.The pigeon river run's right next to there to.lots of deer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hunted there for the first time last year. Headed back this year. We camped in the northern edge. Definitly gets a lot of pressure. You've got to head in deep to avoid the locals. They'll let you know where they are hunting if they've been there for years. Even still, its not uncommon to have someone walk by. Lots of sign....yet to hang a bruiser.
Where abouts do you camp? Just wondering. I camp pretty north to, would be ironic if I recognized your camp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hunt the last part of deerseason up there in gaylord at a old ski lodge a friend owns.They get some nice bucks out there.There's a big swamp right next to it.The pigeon river run's right next to there to.lots of deer.
It seems like the deer head all to the thickets and lowlands after the 15th. Sounds like a good setup - and you know, you could tell your friend if he is looking for someone to hunt it on the opener, since you go up later I would be more than glad to! lol I'm just kidding with you. :lol: Where abouts is the lodge? North, south, east or west part of the forest? I only ask because I snowmobile through there A LOT....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you take Tin Shanty Rd to Sturgeon Valley Rd then head west about 2 miles, you will see signs for a DNR station. Stop in there and turn those local punks in. There has been a baiting ban in that DMU (455) for several years. A couple hefty citations might be just enough to drive them elsewhere. Otherwise. . . best of luck to you.
Yeah, but will the DNR really do anything about it? These are local guys too, maybe their family works for DNR..... I just don't want any problems during deer season up there. Kind of the last thing I need. I know it is BS, I have talked to them a couple times, while casually driving through down by where they camp (where little Mcmasters trail dead ends in a big army tent) but they seem pretty shady.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
North west not to far from the tree top golf course.theres five guy that stay up a the lodge to hunt but the local ***** holes like to break in the lodge in the summer and try to drive there four wheelers up the big hill they dont care it private property and posted.But the hunting good I like hunt out of the main lodge big windows and watch all the hills you fell like a sniper.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I saw a huge 10 pt that a friend shot out of that area last year but of course the details were "somewhere in the Pidgeon River forest area". And he just goes and picks a spot and sets up camp.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Anyone camp or hunt off camp 30 or growler roads?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts